• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    With the new law, wanted to see if the Home Owners Policy changed, following from agent:

Hello ,

I haven't received any communication from underwriting regarding this new law. As of now, we only require that you have a smoke detector on each level. If I receive any information from underwriting, I'll let you know.

Exclusive Agent-Allstate Insurance Company

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    That's the thing , its units with ONLY replaceable batteries. not ANY unit with replaceable batteries.

I talked to a county inspector and he is seeing people pulling the AC powered ones that link to each other (alarm goes off downstairs and then the up stairs one goes off also cause they are linked) then replacing them with 10 year battery ones that are not linked. He's then rejecting them and then telling the owners to go out and get the linked ones with the replaceable batteries.
    Thats why you have to follow the chart. It depends on the age of your house.

Mine is old enough the 10 year non interlocked battery ones are fine.

Newer homes require various versions of the AC powered and/or interlocked.

I think if you have a noncompliant one you want to keep like a nest, just add a compliant one along side it and keep the nest too.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    This is overly confusing. It also makes me mad that earlier this year I just bought 2 new battery only ones that I now have to immediately replace.

Also when I looked over the legislation I thought it said that all had to be replaced by 1/1/18, regardless of age. Each bedroom and one on each floor out of bedrooms, but those have to be CO2 as well. With everything else being stated here I dont know now and am even more confused. I will probably just go buy some later today and replace them all now.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you have a battery powered detector that is older than 10 years old it must be replaced by a sealed 10 year lithium battery powered detector.

pretty plain to me

Getting a combo SD/CO unit is still your choice.

IANAL

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    If you have a battery powered detector that is older than 10 years old it must be replaced by a sealed 10 year lithium battery powered detector.

pretty plain to me

Getting a combo SD/CO unit is still your choice.

IANAL

If you have any unit that is older than 10 years old, check the manufacturer's website, and/or the little sticker right on the unit with the mfr. date to see if there's something like, "REPLACE UNIT AFTER 10 YEARS."

Even if it's hard-wired. It's the sensor. Batteries every year for the "old" ones. Unit every 10 years, regardless of the power source.

I was surprised to find out how old some of mine were, and same with my neighbor's whose detectors I also replaced for her. Time flies.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Good advice but the law only stipulates replacing battery powered detectors as I read it.

Not after the MD Gen. ASS'y reads this thread.

And I'm still waiting for somebody to give us a link to the smoke detector roster. :rolleyes:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Per Kidde website:

"When do I replace my alarms?

Oct 27, 2011

In accordance with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Kidde recommends replacing smoke and heat alarms every ten years, and replacing carbon monoxide and combination alarms every seven to ten years (depending on your model) to benefit from the latest technology upgrades.

If you are unsure of your alarm’s age, look for the manufactured date on the back of the alarm. For more information on how to find a manufactured date, go to How to Find the Manufacture Date on an Alarm. You may also replace your alarm to avoid any danger.

For more information about your specific alarm, refer to your user’s manual. "

http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en...es/articles/when_do_i_replace_my_alarms_.aspx

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Not saying it isn't good advice. Only that the law mandates battery powered unit replacement only

Roger that. I just got sidetracked on justifying it from a practical and safety standpoint.

And Kidde needs $$$ to pay for all those replacement fire extinguishers. Funny how MD law timing is so helpful for Kidde. What a coincidence. :innocent0

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Roger that. I just got sidetracked on justifying it from a practical and safety standpoint.

And Kidde needs $$$ to pay for all those replacement fire extinguishers. Funny how MD law timing is so helpful for Kidde. What a coincidence. :innocent0

not really.. the law passed before the recalls..:sad20:

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Don't know how to post a PDF file, but the following is cut and pasted. Friend emailed me a copy of what Montgomery County has posted, which is different from the story in the Capitol Gazette.

Maryland’s Smoke Alarm Law requires the replacement of all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old. This applies to both hard-wired and battery-operated smoke alarms.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    not really.. the law passed before the recalls..:sad20:

I know. But, how long (if they knew) before the law passed did they know there was a problem brewing with the extinguishers, how long did they consider what to do before they had to make it a full blown recall, and how long after they made the recall decision before they made the announcement to implement it? :innocent0

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    I thought that was just for Rentals?

I had to upgrade mine in a rental.

It came down to this:

Hard wired AC Powered with 9V battery backup -> Replace with the same
    Battery only w/ 9V Battery -> Replace with 10 yr Battery unit.

Home depot, the sealed lithium 10yr units were not cheap. Like $30

You can now get them on amazon for $15.

If you add up the cost of 9V batteries, the 10 year units are worth it for the once and done aspect.

If you have gas/oil, you need to get the carbon monoxide detector also.

Propane does NOT give off CO. I don't know about natural gas.

My detectors are working fine, if they don't believe that, let them be around when I put a piece of firewood in the stove, it's like a hive of them going off. As long as they work, F*CK HOGAN. Can you imagine how much tax they'd make if everyone in MD alone upgraded to these things?

And they could put a charge circuit in them to recharge, or keep charged, rechargeable batteries, and that circuit would cost pennies... against $15 - $30. It's another grubberment hoax, folks.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Propane does NOT give off CO. I don't know about natural gas.

My detectors are working fine, if they don't believe that, let them be around when I put a piece of firewood in the stove, it's like a hive of them going off. As long as they work, F*CK HOGAN. Can you imagine how much tax they'd make if everyone in MD alone upgraded to these things?

And they could put a charge circuit in them to recharge, or keep charged, rechargeable batteries, and that circuit would cost pennies... against $15 - $30. It's another grubberment hoax, folks.

I don't know where you read or heard unequivocally that propane doesn't give off CO, but that's not correct as a blanket statement:

"Carbon Monoxide (CO) and Propane

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is responsible for almost 25% of all propane related fatalities. Carbon Monoxide is the product of incomplete gas combustion often because appliances are improperly adjusted.
    Properly functioning propane appliances will produce what is called an "ideal burn" during combustion and present no danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can lead to severe injury and even death. ..."

http://www.propane101.com/carbonmonoxideandpropane.htm

BigBee

Nov 24, 2016
    Smoke detector

The news said if you contact fire marshall they will give to you free of charge. I don't believe news but worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom