• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Pistol caliber only.

Service is ok. Used to be average. Now that new places have opened, below average.

Try Freestate (indoor). There are few places more local but they require a membership.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    The shop is nice, but the range is usually way too crowded for an indoor. Always see lots of Gangsta types there as well. Also have read about a couple stalking's and smash and grabs after leaving that place too.

That was my experience. Went once but no reason to go back again. Way too crowded with folks I most likely wouldn't normally elect to hang out with.

Seemed to be a lot of first time shooters.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have always found the staff to be pleasant to work with.
    If you see something on the range, go outside and tell one of the employees.
    When i have been there and it was more crowded, an employee will be in the room. If there is only a few and no obvious beginners, they will stay outside and peak in from time to time.

Nights and weekends can get crowded. Especially if the weather is cold or rain.
    I go weekdays during the day and there are fewer people. During the Xmas holidays it is VERY crowded.
    Like any public range, there are LOTS of beginners and such.
    FYI, if you want to rent, you can no longer be by yourself, you must be 2 people to rent or a yearly member who brings his/her own guns.
    No bimetal or metal core bullets (ammo where bullet attracts a magnet).
    Pistol caliber rifles (30 carbine is fine) are good.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    It's no better or worse than any other public range.

When I first started shooting, I was a member there and got a lot of mileage out of my membership. The folks there always treated me decently and I scored some real deals at their annual members-only sale.

:thumbsup:

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I have been there a couple times. It is pistol calibers only, and they won't rent to you if you are by yourself. You can still shoot a 22 rifle or 9mm carbine. Ammo is typical and the rental fees were responsible. I don't remember the exact numbers but I remember thinking the total was less than I thought it would be.

I've always had a good experience going early in the morning

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I looked into these guys, heard nothing but bad things. Promptly took them off my list. I'm still struggling to find a range here that fits all my needs - good hours, not too expensive, allows pistol and rifle, and doesn't discriminate against permanent resident shooters. I'm probably going to have to join more than one in the new year to cover all the things I want.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Just take a look at all the bullet strikes in the baffles and the ceiling.

I can't think of a single range I've ever been to, public or private, that doesn't have some "evidence" like that.

The last two times I was there (within the last 3 weeks), there were ROs patrolling pretty regularly, especially when it was crowded.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    It was an ok place for me, haven't been for awhile. I remember when half the store was archery and they had an archery sight in range outside. I bought a couple pistols from them too. Only complaint I had was range was dark and outside was sketchy.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not GOG-MD , but I presume he means a Legal Green Card holder vs US Citizen.

It is typical of the decades long norm for indoor ranges. The existance and expectation for real rifle cals is recent phenomenon.

And other than function testing , shooting a real rifle at 25yd or less is kinda pointless .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Used to be a member there, bought a couple guns from them back when Tyrone worked there, haven't shot there in more than a decade. He was cool, really helpful and treated everyone well. The range is your basic indoor range, but not a lot of competition in the area. At the time, you had your choice of painfully slow-fire outdoor ranges, or indoor ranges with the lowest common denominator. Best advice is to find a private range and work on joining. I used to drive an hour up here to shoot in PA, drove by half a dozen MD ranges in order to be treated like an adult, not have to deal with thugs muzzle F-ing everyone on the line, or spending hundreds at AGC for a range badge and begging the good ol boys for certificates to do more than poke holes in paper.

HaddenUSAF

Dec 9, 2012
    They are OK. Dim, no frills. But it's the closest non-membership place for me to shoot.

Dim is right. I used to shoot there on my lunch breaks when I worked in the area. I prefer ranges where you can control the light on the target but here in AA County we have to take what we can get.

I used to go regularly when I lived in Bethesda. As well as being very reasonably priced, the staff was always friendly.
    I never considered buying a gun there as their prices were a bit high.
    Sometimes your neighbor was a bit sketchy, but in general the other patrons were respectful.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have taken my daughter shooting there a couple of times and since it is close to home I have gone there several times by myself.

The lighting is poor but even with some serious eye problems, I can see the target well enough. The ventilation is also in need of some upgrades. I have noticed some shady looking characters outside but have never had a problem.

The staff has always been very helpful and pleasant but there is a lack of supervision in the range in my opinion. I have been swept, and when I said something to the offender, his reply was, "It isn't even loaded". I further explained that firearms should always be treated as though they are loaded and that I have no way of knowing if his weapon is safe or not. Seeing no RO inside, we packed up and left. I did say something to the staff before leaving.

Any time that I am around others with firearms, my head is on a swivel because I simply do not trust anyone else with a gun in their hand. I do not care how much training or experience they have had, everyone makes mistakes.

If you go to On Target, I suggest that you go with someone else that can keep an eye on the range while you are shooting and vice versa. Better safe than dead or wounded!

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Save yourself the time and go to the machine gun nest in Frederick. Great staff and very helpful, can be busy on weekends. Weekdays aren’t too bad. They have ROs in the range all the time, even if you are the only one. Nice and clean facility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Want to on target this evening to shoot my pocket rocket Glock and actually had a pleasant experience. Easy check in with a friendly staff member and after I was done shooting i had a easy checkout with another friendly face.

Before leaving I was just checking out some guns on display and one of these friendly staff members asked if I would like to see anything in the cases. In which I said yes. Without a issue I was handed anything I wanted to hold but without the magazine. I asked if I could hold the magazine on which I was told no. I asked why and was told I could hold it but not rack the slide to the closed position. I guess this makes sense for some reason but it’s not that big of a deal. The same employee mentioned something about a AR chambered in 9mm. So we went and checked them out on the other side of the store. Staff was knowledgeable and nice. I stayed about 30-45 mins after shooting to see how they interacted with other customers and the mood seemed to be light hearted from the normal attitude I’ve seen in this shop.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    Last time I was at on target some knuckle head decided in the next lane over to mag dump whatever it was he had. The guy ended up nailing the ceiling , my targets and the floor. I packed up and left. No thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom