• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leibowitzian

Sep 15, 2013
    TGC was originally owned by this older guy and run by another old guy named Jack. Jack was a great guy, but he died a few years back. I'm not sure if the original owner is still alive or not, but you used to see him sometimes sitting in the store and he was very old. That guy's son runs the place now. They still have some decent employees, but it does certainly vary. My roommate went in there recently looking to buy his first gun and they wouldn't give him the time of day. I guess they're making enough money that they don't need to treat their customers well.

What they're doing right is having a visible location, putting flashy guns on the walls and charging out the ying-yang for people who don't know better.

I'm seeing a lot of store names thrown around here that I'm not familiar with, is there anyplace else with an inventory comparable to TCG?

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Gun shack and shooters discount will have what you want. The other thing is if you can't find it there is to transfer it in. It will still be WAY cheaper.

FireAtWill

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Sep 12, 2013
    Frederick
    I used to go there all the time when we first moved to Frederick...back in the 'Jack' days. My experience with them is that if you know firearms, you know what you're looking for and you've done your homework then they'll work with you...except on prices, which are typically higher than their competition. I've had very few issues with them...but don't go in there expecting to stand around an BS with them...it's all business. They've apparently had some turnover lately...not sure what the new staff members are like. They started to lose me when I discovered that other nearby shops had way better prices, and completely lost me when I learned that they refused to do "early releases" for long-time customers, including guys with recent 'approvals'.

Last edited:

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    TGC had been in business for something like 30 years. They must be doing something right.

They had a horrible reputation when I asked about them 21+ years ago when they were located on rt 85. I never bought from them (although I did look and had the same horrible experience as many others) because even without the internet you could get a copy of shotgun news and see prices, or drive to Woodbine guns, or the Gun Cellar in Union Bridge, speak to some fun and nice people who would charge you a small fee above their cost per gun (and let you see their order catalogs). They instantly earned a repeat customer and gained many referrals. 20 + years later, anyone mentions TGC in Frederick I tell them to shop around, and if they want to stay in Frederick make time to stop by Gun Runners.

Justler

Jan 5, 2012
    I used to go there all the time when we first moved to Frederick...back in the 'Jack' days. My experience with them is that if you know firearms, you know what you're looking for and you've done your homework then they'll work with you...except on prices, which are typically higher than their competition. I've had very few issues with them...but don't go in there expecting to stand around an BS with them...it's all business. They've apparently had some turnover lately...not sure what the new staff members are like. They started to lose me when I discovered that other nearby shops had way better prices, and completely lost me when I learned that they refused to do "early releases" for long-time customers, including guys with recent 'approvals'.

The main employee when I would go in during the week who was former law enforcement is now working at Hendershots in Hagerstown. Now that he is gone, I get friendlier service without such attitude. The price just blows it for me. I can drive to Hagerstown and hit 4 different shops that easily have 20% lower prices.

The reason they are in business has already been said. The location and inventory that they display. If someone opened a store in the area with a stock of ARs, AKs and Handguns that was comparible at a slightly lower cost, TGC would be forced to lower prices. The question is, in the city of Frederick area, is there enough gun business for that to happen?

Glade Valley keeps odd hours, I think 1 day a week now after 6 and GunRunners is difficult to find and you don't notice that you drove by it, so someone isn't going to notice it walking by or know that they are there. I think those are the only stores immediately around the city of Frederick. Otherwise you go to Hagerstown or Mount Airy.

I think if the Machine Gun Nest works out pretty well and makes some money from the range and rentals, they could have a chance if they have the capital to get some inventory to take business from each of the stores in Frederick. They will be renting stuff already, so the next logical step is being able to buy what you rented afterwards... if they get an FFL and a license to manufacturer/sell NFA/Class 3 stuff.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    The main employee when I would go in during the week who was former law enforcement is now working at Hendershots in Hagerstown. Now that he is gone, I get friendlier service without such attitude. The price just blows it for me. I can drive to Hagerstown and hit 4 different shops that easily have 20% lower prices.

The reason they are in business has already been said. The location and inventory that they display. If someone opened a store in the area with a stock of ARs, AKs and Handguns that was comparible at a slightly lower cost, TGC would be forced to lower prices. The question is, in the city of Frederick area, is there enough gun business for that to happen?

Glade Valley keeps odd hours, I think 1 day a week now after 6 and GunRunners is difficult to find and you don't notice that you drove by it, so someone isn't going to notice it walking by or know that they are there. I think those are the only stores immediately around the city of Frederick. Otherwise you go to Hagerstown or Mount Airy.

I think if the Machine Gun Nest works out pretty well and makes some money from the range and rentals, they could have a chance if they have the capital to get some inventory to take business from each of the stores in Frederick. They will be renting stuff already, so the next logical step is being able to buy what you rented afterwards... if they get an FFL and a license to manufacturer/sell NFA/Class 3 stuff.

They are already a Class 3 FFL. He builds cans.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    They had a horrible reputation when I asked about them 21+ years ago when they were located on rt 85. I never bought from them (although I did look and had the same horrible experience as many others) because even without the internet you could get a copy of shotgun news and see prices, or drive to Woodbine guns, or the Gun Cellar in Union Bridge, speak to some fun and nice people who would charge you a small fee above their cost per gun (and let you see their order catalogs). They instantly earned a repeat customer and gained many referrals. 20 + years later, anyone mentions TGC in Frederick I tell them to shop around, and if they want to stay in Frederick make time to stop by Gun Runners.

The problems with the Gun Center on Rosemont are well documented on this forum. Overpriced, Rude and indifferent sales crew, ARROGANT owner, overall not worth yours, mine or anyone else's time.

May 19, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    The Gun Center sure is overpriced! Within the past two weeks they jacked up the price of a plain black model Ruger SR22 pistol from $345 to $395. The model with the light or laser (not sure which it was) was $400 something, now it is $510!

On a side note, I went to Glade Valley last weekend and they are not selling handguns as of last Tuesday. This, unfortunately, will give more business to The Gun Center.

SteveFinMD

Mar 21, 2012
    Frederick County
    Five months and 8 days after filling out the paperwork I finally got the call today to pick up my handgun from the Gun Center. At least six others there picking up as well.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Five months and 8 days after filling out the paperwork I finally got the call today to pick up my handgun from the Gun Center. At least six others there picking up as well.

Congrats... This has been a rough thread, and I'm not trying to pile on, but it seems strange that they wouldn't release your gun on time, but will give it to you without the HQL?? Or are you exempt?

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Nope, not exempt. I thought the latest word from the MSP was that you did not need the HQL if the gun was ordered before Oct 1. Is that not correct?

Technically Yes, but practically there is a WHOLE mess of things that could happen and you will find yourself in deep deep doo doo. Just know that you WILL be breaking the law.

Personally, I would not pick up that handgun without the HQL. Given your track record, I think you will anyway though..

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Nope, not exempt. I thought the latest word from the MSP was that you did not need the HQL if the gun was ordered before Oct 1. Is that not correct?

It's odd behavior by the shop. Releasing after 8 days is totally legal, but they wouldn't do it. Transferring without the hql is illegal, but the msp has stated they won't enforce the law and the shop says a-ok.

Good luck whatever you decide.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It's odd behavior by the shop. Releasing after 8 days is totally legal, but they wouldn't do it. Transferring without the hql is illegal, but the msp has stated they won't enforce the law and the shop says a-ok.

I don't think that they are the brightest of folks. The Gun Center only continues to exist because there isn't serious gun store competition in Frederick (a Gander Mountain, BPS, or Cabela's on route 270 just south of Frederick would be many kinds of awesome). Gunrunners and Glade Valley don't have the selection of new guns and probably can't handle the overhead for this kind of inventory. Gunrunners continues to exist because its customer attention/interactions are great, and Glade Valley has established a different business niche.

I visited the Gun Center a little more than a week ago to see if they had the business sense to start moving product before it was too late. Without prompting, the guy behind the counter was apologizing for their AR prices because they were putatively bought at peak during the crisis. The problem was that many of their newly acquired handguns in the case were also way over MSRP, and the inventory in their cases was greater than I've ever seen. I wonder how many guns they moved, and now what they have to do with those that had mags over 10 rounds.

As you said, their release reasoning makes no sense legally, but they seem to just follow what the MDSP tell them (e.g. prefer 77r to come back, but ok to release w/o an HQL if purchased before Oct 1). Certainly not doing this because they care about customers.

Last edited:

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck

What if Frederick City enforces the law?
    What if the attorney general prosecutes?

MDSP have no say in what laws they will or will not enforce.
    Good Luck.

Chris

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I buy all of mine from Stateline Guns in Emmitsburg. They are only 20 minutes up the road and during the height of the frenzy they always had a good selection. They did 8 day releases as well as soon as the word came down it was ok.

Don't know why they don't get mentioned more.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I buy all of mine from Stateline Guns in Emmitsburg. They are only 20 minutes up the road and during the height of the frenzy they always had a good selection. They did 8 day releases as well as soon as the word came down it was ok.

Don't know why they don't get mentioned more.

You're right. I need to check them out as well. Have also heard good things from Ben Kelkye about Stateline and the proprietor (Bob?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom