• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    To anyone who lives out there, are there any laws preventing you from discharging a firearm on your property, say if you were on 10+ acres? What about rifle hunting deer out of season if you are on your own property?

Thanks...

Justler

Jan 5, 2012
    I'd recommend checking here for information: http://www.brunswickmd.gov/

You probably want to use the contact us portion of the website or just give a call down to the Sherrif's department. If you are not immediately in the city but on the outskirts (I am assuming you would be since you mentioned 10 acres), it may be perfectly fine to discharge your firearm. I'd also check county law.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    City limits will dictate where you can and cannot discharge. A few of us duck/goose hunt on farms AROUND Brunswick, but nothing on the potomac side of 340 - everything is towards Middletown, until we actually get down to the river itself and away from the city. I havent done it, but I imagine if you're floating the river you'd be OK to hunt fowl... but I digress.

As for out of season hunting, DNR handbook can answer that for you. We're still under the 2012-2013 laws, but I believe you cannot hunt without crop damage permit.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    To anyone who lives out there, are there any laws preventing you from discharging a firearm on your property, say if you were on 10+ acres? What about rifle hunting deer out of season if you are on your own property?

Thanks...

Big Toe:

Discharging firearms IN Brunswick is severely restricted. You can get permission from Chief Frech to discharge a shotgun while waterfowling on the tiny islands that are in the Potomac and which are within Brunswick's boundary though. BTW, tried it. Not worth it.

However unincorporated portions of Frederick County are a different story. You need to check the laws of the various jurisdictions (city, county, state) the property is in with regard to discharging firearms.

We have 5 acres just barely outside the Brunswick limits and shoot machineguns and everything else on weekends at the range in our woods out back. I guarantee that in parts of Brunswick they can hear the HK53 ripping bursts. That thing will wake the dead.

Be reasonable with your neighbors and you should be fine. We only shoot unsuppressed on weekend afternoons as a rule so as not to annoy anyone too much.

With regard to rifle hunting for deer, in our portion of Zone B, centerfire rifles are not a lawful option. No problem though, the brush is so thick that a scoped and accurate shotgun shooting sabots will do the job nicely. As will a muzzleloader.

With regard to out of season deer harvests, as a rule, you will need prior written approval from MD DNR. You will need to demonstrate a compelling reason to the conservation officer when he/she visits to review your application. It can be done. Did some summer archery deer removal for a fellow that was having trouble with deer and his small vineyard.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you!

Last edited:

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Yes the Brunswick City Code prohibits the discharge of all firearms within the city limits without prior written permission from the Chief. The code makes an exception for the police and military but interestingly enough not for lawful self-defense. (Section 6-2201).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom