• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The bottom line is, anytime you change a component, reduce the charge and work back up, looking for pressure signs.

The change may make no difference, or it might take a safe load and push it into dangerous ranges of pressure.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The bottom line is, anytime you change a component, reduce the charge and work back up, looking for pressure signs.

The change may make no difference, or it might take a safe load and push it into dangerous ranges of pressure.

Definitely, although IMO it is more dangerous to substitute standard primers for magnum data than the other way around. Magnums may or may not increase pressure, will probably get a warning or two from brass, and even then probably wouldn't get above proof-load pressures unless the magnums were a direct swap for data already at max pressure using relatively sensitive powder. With standard primers in place of magnums, some really slow powders like H110 claim a partial ignition can smolder, and burn out or light the powder all at once, instead of a flame propagating through the charge as it should, causing a big pressure spike, or hang-fires and squibs. Haven't experienced that, and haven't seen conclusive evidence from anyone that has, but it's enough for powder companies to issue warnings for standard primers, and even using reduced charges.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I loaded 30-30 and got lower velocities using magnum primers and 748 powder. Not a big difference but enough to make it observable.

During the 2012 - 14 can't find 'em times, I couldn't find any standard small pistol primers for 9mm. I did substitute 550's for those primers using Bullseye. I was a bit nervous since Bullseye is a fast burner. I did back the charge off and ended up at nearly the same powder charge...which was not a maximum charge. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom