• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I know there is a bluegrass- ish Jam Fri evenings in PF , but I didn't get the location from my source . There's a half-dozen small local jams that fly under the radar of the internet . ( Probably not on purpose, but the people are older and even more Luddite than me , )

Anybody know ?

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Can't help you on Prince Fredrick, but there used to be a pretty good gathering in Deale at Good Deale Bluegrass Shop years ago (Before they went under). I think it migrated to Wednesday nights at Happy Harbor for a while, don't know if its still goin' on.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Heard of those also . But specifically somebody used to play at another Jam , is now playing fridays in PF, and it could fit into my work schedule for a fri .

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    I live in Dares Beach (Prince Frederick zip
    code)...never heard of a Friday blue grass
    thing...to be honest, never looked for one,
    so I could have missed it. Suggest checking
    out the county website.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I used to host one in Hollywood years ago. The problem which I learned after the fact was there are 2 schools of Bluegrass players, Traditional and Modern. I wasn't getting the same people back each week because the traditional players didn't want to play Modern and vise versa. After a month or so I stopped having it. Could be a similar problem which is why you can't find out about it. :shrug:

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    I used to host one in Hollywood years ago. The problem which I learned after the fact was there are 2 schools of Bluegrass players, Traditional and Modern. I wasn't getting the same people back each week because the traditional players didn't want to play Modern and vise versa. After a month or so I stopped having it. Could be a similar problem which is why you can't find out about it. :shrug:

Tom is the Hole In The Wall your place? Been their a couple of times years ago passing thru. Neat place.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sorry late in updating . While I was at the HoCo show, sent the wife & daughter to check with my source .

The answer is : The shopping center across the street from the Hospital , second establishment on the left .

There's a half dozen others, but most of them are days/ times that don't work for my schedule. ( And I was looking for one specific player .)

If " traditional v modern " is referring to Progressive Bluegrass , that's interesting , as I have yet to locally encounter any practitioners of Progressive . They might be out there, I don't get out much .

Not just locally, but categorically Old Tyme venues and players have a thermonuclear fued with Bluegrass .( To mainstream it might all seem similar, but they're two different genres .)

Locally the catagories seem to be "pure" Bluegrass vs " everything" to include bluegrass, old Country ( think 1940s- early 1970s ) and gospel .

Even "everything" gatherings won't put up with no 'lectricity , leave your steel guitars at home . At any "everthing" gathering , a husband & wife duo with guitar and accordion were controversial, about half the players left because " it's not hillbilly enough" , but I was broadminded enough to realize that accordion was an intregal part of Texas based country music .

But to throw out a cpl other venues :

Rite Note Guitar Shop ( ' amish " market in Charlotte Hall ) - Everything sat am, pure BG wed am .

"The Barn" ( near 301 & Central Ave) - Everything every sat evening, pure BG every other Fri

I haven't been there yet , but told of every Wednesday in Deale, iirc at Happy Harbor .

I went to a larger one in Va that was supposed to
    include subgroups of all types of accoustic including Celtic and Blues . But alas, the subgroups ranged from pure BG to mostly BG, with smattering of old country . And mostly over my head . I'll need two more years of learning ( and corresponding time to practice) before heading back) .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Correction

Actual location is Second shopping center down , second place on the Right .

The player I was stalking was there, albeit spectating tonite . The main dobro player was playing at higher level of complexity . I spotted a cpl moves I'll try to incorporate, but I won't be able to wholesale steal licks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom