• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm thinking of stopping by Rep. Malone's office to voice my opinion about some of the most egregious anti-2A bills that will be up for review in the House Judiciary Committee on the 25th. He represents my district, so hopefully I'll be able to get an audience with a staffer, or, if I hit the jackpot, his Chief of Staff.

Does anyone have any tips from prior experience speaking with their reps offices besides the basic dress professionally, stay cool, and have your specific arguments thought out already?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Make an emotional connection to the issue. One thing I've learned working in at a college for 10 years now, in today's day and age, people respond to emotional connections.

If you are concerned for your daughter's safety, that has more impact than rattling off facts.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    When you are talking face to face , don't reach down and adjust your junk . It makes the conversation very weird , I had a guy that was looking for a job one time and it made things odd . I ask him if he had some sort of issue and I was not going to talk to him while he was adjusting .

True Story

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Why settle for anything other than Delegate Malone himself? Set up a time in advance. Insist on 15 minutes sometime in the next 10 days. Make yourself available on his schedule if possible. Let him see the look on your face. Only Malone is the one casting the vote - the staffers are there for cover.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Trying to beat the fat old white man in cammo stereotype, my technique is to bring my wife and let her do the talking. Can you do that? No, don't bring MY wife, bring your own. Or do you have children (preferably mixed race) that could accompany you?

Maybe be prepared to educate them on existing laws. I remember last year, during testimony, one of the legislators asked, "what's an HQL" :facepalm:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Trying to beat the fat old white man in cammo stereotype, my technique is to bring my wife and let her do the talking. Can you do that? No, don't bring MY wife, bring your own. Or do you have children (preferably mixed race) that could accompany you?

Maybe be prepared to educate them on existing laws. I remember last year, during testimony, one of the legislators asked, "what's an HQL" :facepalm:

My wife is a strident anti and SJW. Not the messaging I'm looking for. Maybe I could borrow your wife after all?

I don't do the camo thing; I'm a nerdy old electronics engineer. An oxford or polo shirt, navy sport jacket and khakis would be the style. Maybe a tie, if I want to look particularly serious. No pocket protector, though. I'm a nerd, not a geek.:)

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    My wife is a strident anti and SJW. Not the messaging I'm looking for. Maybe I could borrow your wife after all?

I don't do the camo thing; I'm a nerdy old electronics engineer. An oxford or polo shirt, navy sport jacket and khakis would be the style. Maybe a tie, if I want to look particularly serious. No pocket protector, though. I'm a nerd, not a geek.:)

Heck no! You already dun messed up yours somehow!:rolleyes:

That's a shame about her. I guess explaining that gun control has its roots in Democrats trying to keep guns out of the hands of recently freed or unsegregated black folks wouldn't tickle her SJ button?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Call thier office and find out when they will be there. This has always worked for me. You can also check what committees they are on and don't visit thier offices while those committees are in session.

I talk to my rep every year.

They also regularly hold town halls in thier district. Or the very best way is to volunteer your time canvassing for them. That is when they actually listen to you. I met and talked to Mike Miller for 10 minutes doing this. There is no better way to get one on one time with a politician

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    When you are talking face to face , don't reach down and adjust your junk . It makes the conversation very weird , I had a guy that was looking for a job one time and it made things odd . I ask him if he had some sort of issue and I was not going to talk to him while he was adjusting .

True Story
    Did you shake his hand afterwards?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I'm thinking of stopping by Rep. Malone's office to voice my opinion about some of the most egregious anti-2A bills that will be up for review in the House Judiciary Committee on the 25th. He represents my district, so hopefully I'll be able to get an audience with a staffer, or, if I hit the jackpot, his Chief of Staff.

Does anyone have any tips from prior experience speaking with their reps offices besides the basic dress professionally, stay cool, and have your specific arguments thought out already?

I don't believe he is in favor of the bills. Aim for the antis or fence riders. Chairman of the committees, rookie legislators.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I don't believe he is in favor of the bills. Aim for the antis or fence riders. Chairman of the committees, rookie legislators.

Can't hurt to be sure the ones on our side know the score though. Didn't a few of our "allies" mistakenly vote for HB1302 at first because they didn't know we were against it?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Can't hurt to be sure the ones on our side know the score though. Didn't a few of our "allies" mistakenly vote for HB1302 at first because they didn't know we were against it?

Yes, but Malone is a decent one. JMO, but I would just email him and ask his opinion before wasting time visiting him if he is already opposed to the bills. Spend the time going after those looking to take our Rights.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Be specific .

Don't just say such & such Bill sucks . Refer to specific sections in the Bill by number and letter .

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD

Then you're in my District, #33. Mike Malone and Sid Saab are solid 2A.

Heather Bagnall is a Bloomberg-loving, Kool-Aid drinking fool. I will be trying logic, but I think she's immune. I'll be trying emotion, but guns are bad. Then there's my toxic masculinity.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Heather Bagnall is a Bloomberg-loving, Kool-Aid drinking fool. I will be trying logic, but I think she's immune. I'll be trying emotion, but guns are bad. Then there's my toxic masculinity.

Talking to Bagnall is on my to-do list. But unlike Malone, she's not on the Justice Committee, so she's only relevant as a vote on the final bills later in the MGA session. That gives a few extra weeks to come up with a way to communicate with her without losing my cool.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Luckily, I doubt she'll get re-elected. It's a red district, and she only won because Tony McConkey was, well, Tony McConkey. In the long run we're better off without him if we can get someone into that job in the next election who will have the respect of his or her colleagues.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Would it be a good starting point to ask if they have read (and understand) the bill being questioned? IIRC very no one even read HB1302, "We were told to vote for it".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom