• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Added - This thread is not intended to convince anyone to testify . If you are not inclined to participate in this manner , I will not be twisting your arm at this time . For people who have decided to participate in the Hearing process , I will present these thoughts and observations .

Not so much * What * your exact message, but * How * to effectively advance our intrests through communicating in a Hearing format .

We have observations, opinions, facts, personal experiences , and logical arguments . Lots of them . For most of us , the struggle is to reduce them to the necessary brevity .

Extreme scenario #1 - Totally cold in a Vacuum , you step into an elevator with a politician or other person to whom we want to communicate our message. They turn to you and ask , So what about XYZ ? "

We should have enough background knowledge about each Bill to give 1 or 2 non-insulting reasons why its good or bad in 30 sec .

A Committee Hearing is a dynamic environment . ( Meaning it is not static , and the situation can change throughout the course of the Hearing .)

Unless you are the first witness on the first panel that is in Favor of the Bill , you are not starting cold in neutral environment . ( Hint- On most of the significant Bills , we will be in Opposed , and the other side has already said their piece .)

Did a pro - gun person speaking before you get traction with a particular point ? Then if you can further reinforce , or expand on that point ( with facts, or relevant personal experiences ) , then you can do that .

Did previous pro gun speakers effectively address points A, B, and C ? Then you could address points D, or E .

Did people with the other position earlier give testimony on a particular subject, and your mental alarm bells sound ?

Don't insult or demean other people testifing . Instead somthing to the effect of " The subject of Blah, Blah came up earlier, and I'd like to address that " . You could speak to your personal experiences in that regard , and provide different viewpoints and conclusions . If they used misapplied or non-sense statistics , rebut with correct statistics .

Listen to the previous testimony , and do real time fact checking on lap tops and smartphones .

One occasion the Antis were making sensational statements about Domestic Violence Homicides . I was able to later address the subject with UCR numbers broken down by relationship to victims , and even including every vaguely applicable Victim category, the statistics were massively different . Use recognized sources, and the UCR are the gold standard .

And finally , one memorable occasion my testimony was " Mr D C-W just excellently presented the information I would have given ."

Last edited:

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    Great ideas. Thanks. I’ll be testifying for the first time on 2/25. Appreciate the insight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I can't testify, since I don't play politics and don't like to mince words. I don't think it would be helpful to the cause for me to start off with "look you brain dead m......f.....s your great gun control scheme is getting people put in harm's way...."

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I can't testify, since I don't play politics and don't like to mince words. I don't think it would be helpful to the cause for me to start off with "look you brain dead m......f.....s your great gun control scheme is getting people put in harm's way...."

This would describe me as well, and why I stick with written and financial contributions. But I do think there's something to be said for the tact of telling these brain dead M......F.....'s in no uncertain terms that they are indeed putting people in harms way, while accomplishing absolutely nothing to combat crime.

Crime resonates with the general public more than our gun rights do. I would love to be smart enough to come up with the proper strategy, because even if they cared about it, they should be exposed and indeed humiliated in the public's eyes to even so much as suggest that their agenda positively impacts crime.

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED

My feelings as well. Long gone are the days I show respect for them because now they deserve zero respect.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The point of testimony is to influence the Committee Members favorably, not give ourselves temporary gratification of telling them off .

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Agree with the above.

It's totally OK to have notes, but you shouldn't need to read your testimony.

It's OK to build off previous testimony.

Make it personal. How does this affect you and similarly situated people?

You're not trying to change their already made-up, addlepated minds. You are trying to create enough doubt that they don't push a particular bill or that they actually vote for an effective measure.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The people for these bills go first. I bet you'll hear someone blame other states for Baltimore's "gun problem"

The leftists attribute the rise in crime after FSA2013 to neighboring states swamping us with firearms, they are not as smart to pass our gun laws. So stop with the logic and play to fear. Pass more laws that our neighboring states are not going to pass and it will make the black market even worse! You've noted the reason why it's worse, and you want to add to it?

Long shot, but logic has been tried ad nausea. Fear and greed sells better than logic any day.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Agree with the above.

It's totally OK to have notes, but you shouldn't need to read your testimony.

It's OK to build off previous testimony.

Make it personal. How does this affect you and similarly situated people?

You're not trying to change their already made-up, addlepated minds. You are trying to create enough doubt that they don't push a particular bill or that they actually vote for an effective measure.

And the winner of the big word of the day award is.....:clap::clap::thumbsup:

Odarlin1

Ultimate Member
    The point of testimony is to influence the Committee Members favorably, not give ourselves temporary gratification of telling them off .

Let the games begin! First hand knowledge that any group of legislators with any agenda have no open minds. They get marching orders and thus they follow or beheading occurs. It is the sad truth. I admire the passion of those willing to testify. I venture to say many of the Dems on the hearing committees will be absent or only spend a minimum of time listening. So do not be disappointed when they are up and about, going back to their offices or playing on a computer.

It won't matter if you "tell them off" they don't care. Their minds are made up. If these bills fail it will be due to leadership of the party saying "next year and we can add this or this." At some point it will sail through.

They no longer chip away. They are very blatant and clear on their goals to disarm. This is not a test.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Try and tell the assembly when you are testifying how the law will impact you and why it's a bad bill. Bring up all the reasons that you can think of how it would /could make you a criminal if passed and how it will cause you to be less safe and put you in danger. Make them think of the unintended consequences if it becomes law.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    Is there an age restriction for submitting written testimony or for testifying in person? I’m trying to get my 12 year old to share his thoughts and I didn’t know if he would be permitted or not. You know since the moms keep claiming it’s about the kids. Well my kid is fed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Is there an age restriction for submitting written testimony or for testifying in person? I’m trying to get my 12 year old to share his thoughts and I didn’t know if he would be permitted or not. You know since the moms keep claiming it’s about the kids. Well my kid is fed up.

No, no age limit. And it breaks the angry white male paradigm.

p.s. He gets slack and can read his testimony. That should be easier for him.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Is there a 2A friendly rep who would read my testimony to the committee?

I want to tell the story of my aunt, who was killed in Harford County by her estranged husband in a murder-suicide. I don't want to just submit it as written testimony because it will never get read by the committee members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom