• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    Ok getting different answers on this subject so I wanted to get your insight.

If I purchase a complete AR pistol does it have to be listed on the MD Handgun Roster? If so how does that work since you can put any lower onto the pistol upper?

I appreciate everybody's opinion on this.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Ok getting different answers on this subject so I wanted to get your insight.

If I purchase a complete AR pistol does it have to be listed on the MD Handgun Roster? If so how does that work since you can put any lower onto the pistol upper?

I appreciate everybody's opinion on this.

Md. requires that ALL pistol (handgun / except antiques) sales be transferred via FFL/MDSP.

Handguns not listed on the Maryland Roster, as approved, are not approved for sale in Maryland.

While there are many things one "can do" with the AR platform... That does not mean that they "MAY do" those things legally.

Example: One "can" attach a non HBAR upper to a post 10/01/2013 lower... But doing so in Maryland is ILLEGAL.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you see it for sale at an FFL in MD, it is extremely likely already on there. MD dealers are pretty good about this. MD dealers do have AR pistols in stock, I've seen them. For example, the Sig P516 is on the list (also a nice gun), look under "Sig Sauer/Sigarms Inc.". http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...onBureau/LicensingDivision/HandgunRoster.aspx

It can be extremely hard to find things on that list. The same manufacturer is listed multiple times, different spellings, and search is not user friendly. So, I would not rule out the possibility that whatever you are looking at is there, you just cannot find it. If you want to play a not-so-fun-game, I'll pick a gun I know for a fact is on the list, you try to find it. If we played for quarters, I'd take all your money.

If you see in on Gunbroker or something, yes it absolutely needs to be on the roster. There is a process for additions and a petition form on the website. If it's not on the list, I am not sure it's worth it, that is your call. There are some nice/popular ones already on the list, so just ask a dealer what they have or can order.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    If I purchase a complete AR pistol does it have to be listed on the MD Handgun Roster?

Yes. An AR pistol is a Handgun and so it must be on the roster for you to buy it.

If so how does that work since you can put any lower onto the pistol upper?

If you are buying a complete handgun, it has to be on the roster. What you do with it after you buy it is your business. You can take one upper off and put another one on it once you own it, or turn it in to a rifle (NOT a short barreled rifle without a stamp) if you want to. The law only pertains to the actual initial purchase of the handgun.

While there are many things one "can do" with the AR platform... That does not mean that they "MAY do" those things legally.

Yep, but putting another (legal - that is, either pistol or HBAR rifle) upper on a lower that you bought as a handgun is perfectly legal.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    A lot of AR pistols are made by their owners. It started that way after the AWB expired, then the manufacturers caught on to the idea. It's easy enough to buy a stripped lower, then look for a complete pistol upper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom