Just an exercise to show the issues with MD's carry laws.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrankin

Aug 22, 2014
    Howard County
    1. legal
    2. legal
    3. legal
    4. legal
    5. legal
    6. legal
    7. illegal, no guns on USPS property
    8. legal - can't carry on Fed or State property but good to go on county property
    9. legal
    10. legal and can consume, just can't become intoxicated although there is no legal standard for intoxication and they can't test you unless you give them the okay to do so
    11. legal
    12. legal as long as you don't get out of your car, illegal if you get out
    13. illigal only due to being held state property

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...singDivision/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

except in Howard county on 8. Illegal on County Property

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's

Not really. This is an important topic once one gets to the stage of having a permit. Legal language (for ME) is often times hard to dissect and figure out what it really means. Where you can and can't go is a huge issue.

For example, an earlier post of mine pointed out that Leonardtown and LaPlata are off limits because of their ordinances predating preemption. After my post there were two other posts by members who I consider to be rather smart on these things and they did not agree with each other. And yet another member had talked to the COP in LaPlata who said that it was fine.

Leonardtown is very near to me and I drive through it and shop there often yet I don't really know if I can legally carry there...even if I'm only passing through on my way somewhere else.

Montgomery County and probably a lot of other places have similar issues that unless you dig in to the details of every city/town/county...you could be on the wrong side of things.

It would be nice if there was an easy to understand way of knowing for sure that you're not inadvertently breaking the law. But that's just my simple-minded way of thinking.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I caution you, this post will get a bit off the topic. But when I get started, I often continue on the path until the end. So bare with me.

Your Maryland Designated Collector status does nothing to validate any transport of firearms. The only purpose, under Maryland law, for the Designated Collector status is to allow an individual to purchase more than one firearm in a thirty day period. The exemptions for transport are not bolstered or corroborated by the designation.

A few years back, I had a conversation with a lobbyist and former State employee in Annapolis regarding the original intent of the Designated Collector status. He wrote the Firearms Safety Act in the 90's. He told me the DC was an intentional loophole that was created to provide a cushion for any impending lawsuit against the one gun a month purchase. He said that many lawmakers were concerned at the time that the one gun a month was unconstitutional (but they would pass it anyway) as long as an exemption existed.

For a very long period of time the AGC Legislative Vice President fought the State Police on their requirements for those persons who were applying to become a designated collector. The State, at the time, was requiring proof that the individual owned a collection of firearms. This argument went to the Lt Colonel, who after consultation with Legal Counsel, ruled that the State Police could not require an applicant to provide such proof and that anyone could be approved as a Designated Collector by simply applying. There is no mechanism under Maryland law to deny any applicant, even if they are a prohibited person. This ruling was ignored by Licensing Division personnel for over two years and they continued to require documentation. Because the Licensing Division is typically ignored by headquarters command staff, this failure to obey a lawful order simply continued. No one was aware that personnel ignored their orders. Both the AGC Legislative Vice President and the former MSI President brought this to my attention when I became the commander. So I looked into it. After reviewing the well documented communication history on this process (saved by the AGC Vice President), I immediately placed a person in charge of reviewing and approving all applications without the required proof of evidence they already owned firearms. I then created and issued a new Special Order.

This was one of many wakeup calls I had that began within days of taking over this command. I was shocked the State Police had ignored these issues even despite the proper challenges and reviews having been made. This division was run unlike any other division I had seen within the Department. Every value the department had was ignored within this division. This was not the State Police I had known and loved for over 20 years. I was shocked at nearly everything these employees were forced to endure while being ignored by those who preached how much of a family we were. This division was truly a nightmare and was not representative of an otherwise professional and historically respected police department. But it was never the fault of the employees (well most of the employees.)

The Licensing Division and their problems are still being ignored today. Most of this is not the fault of the personnel assigned. We all know there are a few within the division that are running the place from the bottom up. But for the most part, they are just people trying to do their jobs. They do not have the authority to overrule or ignore the Standard Operating Procedures. And the people that need to correct these failed processes continue to ignore the issues.

As the commander of this division, I had an intern that evaluated every process within the Licensing Division. She generated a very well written report. (one that is likely still available via a PIA request) At 21 years of age and just out of college, she was able to identify and record every major mistake within the division and offer a solution to fix the process. The fixes were not really difficult. I suspect her report is being used to balance the broken leg of a 40 year old desk inside of some office.

I apologize sir....the DC reference was a bad attempt at a joke carried over from another thread. The ONLY thing I feel the DC letter is good for is purchasing more than one handgun per month. Learning the history behind it is really interesting so thank you for the background. :thumbsup:

Montoya brings up a valid point since many of us make stops while carrying and the vague restrictions are nutty and confusing. It would be really interesting to see how often people get in trouble for carrying outside of their restrictions. If nothing else it would help show what may be okay and what isn't.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    That is not how preemption works.

When a state preempts local ordinances, they preempt ALL of them, existing or future. The ordinances do not come off the books, but they are unenforceable.

This is why there are issues with some suppliers shipping ammo to MoCo and Annapolis. They both banned the sale of ammunition. The state then passed the preemption law, so those local ordinances cannot be enforced, but since they are on the books, some suppliers will not ship, thinking it is against the local ordinances.

Then why bother with preemption without removal of the affected laws?

To the lay person, such as myself (and apparently businesses outside MD), if a law is preempted, but allowed to stay in the books, what is the value of not removing the preempted law?

It would seem by not removing preempted laws, it would simply encourage the behavior exhibited by those outside of MD (i.e. That's too damn complicated and I'm not going to take the risk).

Or am I missing something...?

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Interesting to learn the history of the (back room deal) regarding the Designated Collector exemption (or loophole as it was put). Similar thing happened with regard to removing the language about requiring a bullet be fired as part of the HQL training, but despite the legislature debate and agreement to leave it out, its now required. So, my point being is that just because something is agreed upon, doesn't mean that in a court of law it can't go another way.

Hence, if a letter from the MDSP saying that an applicant is Designated Collector, doesn't legitimatize or make them bonafide; then what more 'proof' is there? FFL's are licensed dealers, not collectors per se.

Lastly, assuming the OP is referring to concealed carrying a handgun with a wear and carry permit in the locations he's invited this discussion over. What if it were a long gun? Aren't all the transport laws regarding handguns, and isn't it legal for a law-abiding citizen; without a wear and carry permit, legal to drive around an unload long gun, or even (technically, but don't try it) walk around in public with it as long as they were not threatening? A quick story about this situation happening to me in Maryland: Years ago, I had to park up the street from a gun shop that is now closed. I told them about a problem I was having with their upper that I had slapped on an AR lower, and they said bring it in. I explained my rifle was up the street and I had no case, was this ok? They said sure, people walk in with uncased guns all the time; so I did. Just as I was walking toward their shop with my AR in hand, passing a popular restaurant that was a few doors down from the shop, a large group of people were exiting the restaurant. Several of them very clearly saw me carrying the rifle in a very non-threatening manner (like I've carried it thousands of hours in the Army), and no one seemed to care in the slightest. The guys in the shop fixed my issue, and I walked back to my car (down the street) with my AR in the open. Wasn't until I started hanging out with some of you with BGOS (Battered Gun Owners Syndrome) that I really thought much about it.

BGOS - people who have lived in a repressive state or community where gun laws are either contrary to 'common sense' or deliberately vague, nonsensical, or contrary to other laws; that they are afraid to do what is common, and legal unless they are overwhelmingly convinced that it is ok.

Last edited:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Interesting to learn the history of the (back room deal) regarding the Designated Collector exemption (or loophole as it was put). Similar thing happened with regard to removing the language about requiring a bullet be fired, but despite the legislature debate and agreement to leave it out, its now required. So, my point being is that just because something is agreed upon, doesn't mean that in a court of law it can't go another way.

Hence, if a letter from the MDSP saying that an applicant is Designated Collector, doesn't legitimatize or make them bonafide; then what more 'proof' is there? FFL's are licensed dealers, not collectors per se.

Lastly, assuming the OP is referring to concealed carrying a handgun with a wear and carry permit in the locations he's invited this discussion over. What if it were a long gun? Aren't all the transport laws regarding handguns, and isn't it legal for a law-abiding citizen; without a wear and carry permit, legal to drive around an unload long gun, or even (technically, but don't try it) walk around in public with it as long as they were not threatening? Years ago, I had to part up the street from a gun shop that is now closed. I told them about a problem I was having with their upper that I had slapped on an AR lower, and they said bring it in. I explained my rifle was up the street and I had no case, was this ok? They said sure, people walk in with uncased guns all the time; so I did. Just as I walked with my AR in hand, past a popular restaurant that was a few doors down from the shop, a large group of people were exiting the restaurant. Several of them very clearly saw me carrying the rifle in a very non-threatening manner (like I've carried it for hundreds if not thousands of hours in the Army), and no one seemed to care in the slightest. The guys in the shop fixed my issue, and I walked back to my care (down the street) with my AR in the open. Wasn't until I started hanging out with some of you with BGOS (Battered Gun Owners Syndrome) that I really thought much about it.

BGOS - people who have lived in a repressive state or community where gun laws are either contrary to 'common sense' or deliberately vague, nonsensical, or contrary to other laws; that they are afraid to do what is common, and legal unless they are overwhelmingly convinced that it is ok.

Yep... Hammer meet NAIL...

bobwilley

MD Wear/Carry Permit G19
    Feb 4, 2018
    Delmarva Peninsula
    I know this is an older post, but seems to be a good one.

To clarify a few points.
    I have a combination lockbox under my drivers seat.
    I have a Business Limitation on the back of my MD Handgun Permit.
    So if I am not sure I will be conducting business (buying books, collectibles, products),
    then I store my gun in the lockbox. I also keep a deposit slip (with $40 in the envelope), and also a money envelope with a larger sum of money for those times where I am called on to buy products, as this can come from a phone call while out, or if I go to a store and find resellable items (I am an online seller).

What if I go to the courthouse (like when I setup my mom's estate or check on things),
    I know you cannot carry IN the courthouse, but...
    Since I am partially handicapped, I cannot store the weapon (or remove) in the Lockbox while sitting in the drivers seat,
    it requires I open the door, stand up, put in the combination open, store/remove, as needed.
    Does the action of having to expose the weapon IN PUBLIC (outside the courthouse) cause any issues with someone seeing me.

Same goes if I go to a store and realize I am going to conduct business, so I need to get my weapon out, and put in IWB.

Another scenario, it says you cannot carry in rest areas in MD.
    What if I am going someone, say going up Route 301 on Eastern Shore and need to take a pee break, can I pull into the parking lot, get out of vehicle, open lockbox, store weapon,
    and then proceed to Rest Area building to relieve myself??

I know these are kinda particular situations, but you get the idea.
    It is the "Transition" part that I can't find any direction for.

Thanks in advance.
    Bob

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I know this is an older post, but seems to be a good one.

To clarify a few points.
    I have a combination lockbox under my drivers seat.
    I have a Business Limitation on the back of my MD Handgun Permit.
    So if I am not sure I will be conducting business (buying books, collectibles, products),
    then I store my gun in the lockbox. I also keep a deposit slip (with $40 in the envelope), and also a money envelope with a larger sum of money for those times where I am called on to buy products, as this can come from a phone call while out, or if I go to a store and find resellable items (I am an online seller).

What if I go to the courthouse (like when I setup my mom's estate or check on things),
    I know you cannot carry IN the courthouse, but...
    Since I am partially handicapped, I cannot store the weapon (or remove) in the Lockbox while sitting in the drivers seat,
    it requires I open the door, stand up, put in the combination open, store/remove, as needed.
    Does the action of having to expose the weapon IN PUBLIC (outside the courthouse) cause any issues with someone seeing me.

Same goes if I go to a store and realize I am going to conduct business, so I need to get my weapon out, and put in IWB.

Another scenario, it says you cannot carry in rest areas in MD.
    What if I am going someone, say going up Route 301 on Eastern Shore and need to take a pee break, can I pull into the parking lot, get out of vehicle, open lockbox, store weapon,
    and then proceed to Rest Area building to relieve myself??

I know these are kinda particular situations, but you get the idea.
    It is the "Transition" part that I can't find any direction for.

Thanks in advance.
    Bob

Read the statute on rest stops. Only is an increased penalty when commiting crimes, not a ban on carrying there.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    So what are the legal duties of a CCW holder? Disarm, return home and leave weapon?

Also, explain your answer to #10.

Leave the ammo in the car??? I would say leave the gun in the car, but you probably do not want the headache in case the car is stolen!! Fortunately or maybe unfortunately I don't have a carry permit, so right now I don't have worry about it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• md.jpg
      md.jpg
      19.3 KB · Views: 169

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I was under the impression any consumption of alcohol while carrying is illegal in MD.

The law SS 5-314 says "under the influence". How would that be determined?

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=5-314&ext=html&session=2018RS&tab=subject5

A PBT would be the assumption but it is not codified in MD/DE that I am aware of. IANAL but if I were in that situation (not that I would) I would refuse to take one if I had drank anything within the previous 24 hours.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I should probably talk to an attorney since I recently received my permit and really don't know exactly what "While conducting business as xxxxxxx" means, but I've always taken it to mean to and from the business, to the bank, and while doing obviously business related things (going to buy supplies, etc.) This is assuming the business a retail storefront or something similar. Obviously if your business is real estate, or something where more travel is obvious, that would be different.

Stopping to get coffee on the way home? Stopping by your girlfriend's on the way home? Going out to lunch while you're taking a break at the place specified in the permit restriction? I had all assumed those were no-gos.

Also I thought leaving your firearm in your vehicle, even in a lockbox, would be illegal.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Do you make or receive business calls while driving or at any other location? Can these calls generate or affect revenue? Is your cell number publicly available to customers or employees who might call you?

IANAL but the answer to these questions seems relevant to me.

I am not aware of any MD statute that makes it illegal to lock a firearm in a car, even without a W&C permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom