• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    I voted for the first time in my life and I am 35 years old. Of course, I voted hogan knowing he was backed by the nra. My new found love of firearms was a major reason for me voting.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Perhaps, but I just can't see 1.08% of the population making up the +4% margin, and I disagree with it being close.. Hogan won big IMO.

So, looking at the overall numbers it's clear that in most cases democrats just voted democrat, except for the governor.

I'm not sure that most people really see the Attorney General as a big deal. Let alone know who Brain Frosh is....

However, considering that 40% of Marylanders own firearms... and firearms owners do tend to be very vocal... it's likely that they had a tangible impact on the governors seat.

Hogan won by ~80,000 votes... it's not hard to imagine that our ranks could have filled that gap.

- Republicans
    - Independents
    - Centrist (likely, gun owning) Democrats

I personally even had some DIE HARD leftist that own guns tell me how they were struggling with the fact that they were voting for Hogan. ...and I'm sure they voted democrat straight down the rest of the ticket.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    That and his campaign sucked. Nobody I spoke with could articulate one single idea Brown had. Well, other than white people are the devil.

The UMD Clinton / Brown event was fairly empty.

I don't think that the University population cared for him... nor did anyone else in the PG county area... At least enough to show up.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    I would argue that uninformed gun owning Dems probably did vote for Hogan but due to their ignorance pulled the D on the AG. The opposer didn't even campaign!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The 2A issue absolutely DID have an effect. I personally know of 2 gun owning democrats (not DINOs, real lifelong democrats) who were absolutely PO'ed when they learned SB281 meant they would have to pay for a "license" to be "permitted" to exercise their right to purchase a handgun.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    I'll probably get flamed for this, but I don't think that SB281 had anything to do with the governorship this election.

Marylanders are being crushed with higher and higher taxes and fees. We are the laughing stock of the nation for absurd and over reaching taxation. In reality I believe this election was won on 2 reasons.

1) Taxes
    2) Brown

Brown has done a absolute terrible job, and that fact was incredibly easy to convey.

Hogan is going to have a difficult time, as the make up of MD houses an senate did not change all that much. I'm praying he doesn't not end up like Ehrlich.

Agree 100%.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I know a lot of D's that voted for Hogan. The bombardment of taxes is what pushed most of them over to the other side. The rain tax was the nail in the codon for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Holly f,,k can we let the Deocats do the' gun control was not an issue 'spin? They made it an issue ...I d
    No worky we use that.

We can use all the leverage we can get..

The friendly fire around here is hurting us.

We do our fight they do thiers.

15carbine15

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2014
    Prince George's County
    Perhaps, but I just can't see 1.08% of the population making up the +4% margin, and I disagree with it being close.. Hogan won big IMO.

Hogan did win big, because many ex democrats like myself voted for him. A great amount of us are just fed up with the taxes for one, and me personally with the gun laws. Brown never had my vote since I hated omalley agenda and Obama the liar.

Don't mean to make the gun club feel less special but I don't think the hogan big victory had anything to do with him winning, let alone winning big, well not ANYTHING to do with him winning... I shouldn't say that, Many of us blacks and other democrats were and are tired of omalley and Obama. There will be alot more votes to be had and people of my kind to be converted going down the road if this is played right.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I voted for the first time in my life and I am 35 years old. Of course, I voted hogan knowing he was backed by the nra. My new found love of firearms was a major reason for me voting.

Everyone has something that sets them on fire. I know that this issue is what got me to vote in state elections.

Typically I was presidential only...

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Hogan did win big, because many ex democrats like myself voted for him. A great amount of us are just fed up with the taxes for one, and me personally with the gun laws. Brown never had my vote since I hated omalley agenda and Obama the liar.

Don't mean to make the gun club feel less special but I don't think the hogan big victory had anything to do with him winning, let alone winning big. Many of us blacks were and are tired of omalley and Obama. There will be alot more votes to be had and people of my kind to be converted going down the road if this is played right.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I would say it had some part in it. Yes, taxes were the issue that were the 800# gorilla. As a "13er", I was awakened and got engaged and politically active. This led to more scrutiny of the administration. The more I looked, the less I liked. I spread the word to others on that. I donated money. The FSA 2013 had an impact.

If it had effect or not doesn't matter with our message. Publicly, we claim it as a win due to us and we have more clout in Annapolis because of it.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Let's not kid ourselves. It was not SB281 that got Larry Hogan elected (otherwise Frosh would not have made it to be the AG). It was the deluge of taxes and the economy overall.

Yea, I gotta agree here. As much as I'd like us to take credit for all of this, as is being reported, there were many, many disheartened Dems who voted for Hogan. Even mentions of people who voted Republican (Hogan only) for the first time in their lives. If they hadn't, he would likely have not gotten elected despite all the gun owners in Maryland. All those Dems still voted for Frosh, Hoyer, Ruppertsburger, Cummings; and the Bongino race is still too close to call as of 5:15 this a.m.

The Maryland Democratic 'machine' is still intact and Hogan must deal with that. Hogan hasn't said or done anything to show that he is strongly pro-gun. His election may just be a respite from all the anti-gun sentiment in the legislature while he maintains focus on his core issues.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That and his campaign sucked. Nobody I spoke with could articulate one single idea Brown had. Well, other than white people are the devil.
    The only clear ideas that came out of Brown's campaign, from my perspective were:

1. I'm going to fund pre-K - Hogan hates preschoolers
    2. Guns are bad - Hogan is against firearms safety
    3. Maryland has a AAA bond rating (what that had to do with him specifically is anyone's guess)
    4. Hogan wants to give your money to the corporations

That's about all I got out of it.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Early on, there seemed to be almost no Republican interest in even fielding an AG candidate to oppose Frosh. IIRC, Pritzker stepped in just to avoid him running unopposed, probably drawing the early and natural conclusion that the dems would sweep.

In hindsight, maybe both the State Repubs and Pritzker threw in the towel too early -- like from the start.

Frosh has zero prosecutorial and/or criminal law experience, sparse litigation experience, unknown (> zero?) management experience, and now will probably be a total thorn in the Governor's side for the next 4 years. Other than that, he's the perfect guy for the job. :sarcasm:

Wouldn't be surprised to start seeing AG opinions from the outset that Governor Hogan's proposed tax and spending cuts, government reorganization efforts, etc. are illegal or unconstitutional.

Phillipw39

May 27, 2013
    Gaithersburg
    Amen... We should get a more friendly tax and business environment, now lets hope for better 2A protections and maybe the loosening concealed carry regulations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom