Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    “Never, never let your gun
    Pointed be at anyone.
    That it may unloaded be
    Matters not the least to me.”

An excerpt from A Fathers Advice, a poem written by Mark Beaufoy to his son in 1902.

Some advice is, as they say.....timeless.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I was talking to Lou one day at his shop.

He was telling me about a lot of LEO used Rem 870s he had purchased. They came in one big box, that had a corner torn out.

He opened the box, picked up the first shotgun, hefted it, and it felt heavy. So he racked the slide. And out popped a live round. Cycled it until empty.

Picked up the second one, same thing. Well over half were fully loaded. Most with a round in the chamber, and safety OFF.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Neighbor came over the other day wanting to shoot his new ruger revolver he had just bought. First gun for him so I went thru the rules with him. After about 25 rounds the gun hung up. He handed it to me and first thing I said was if there was any rounds in it that had not been fired. He assured me that all rounds had been fired. Popped the wheel open and sure as s**t he had one round that had not been fired. Used it as a teaching moment.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Customer brought a doozy to the shop a few years ago. It was a Registered Receiver MP5K Machinegun that a L.E.O. at the range shot by accident with his handgun. The handgun round collapsed/dented the rear of the receiver badly and destroyed the folder.

It was my last week at the shop so I'm not sure what the results were.

We took in a similar problem about a year or year and a half back. Machine gun shot by a friend's firearm right into the receiver. Scott saved it by straightening it then welding. Hell, I don't even leave more than one firearm on a firing line at a time much less tolerate anyone not keeping their muzzle downrange. Makes me question who some of these people shoot with. (Kudo's, though, to the OP's buddy who tried to correct the situation)

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Scary stuff.

Cops are human which means all the good and bad of every other person.
    That said, I would expect far better awareness and safety from any gun owners.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    You could not be more wrong.
    LEO's are highly trained and the ONLY ones qualified to own and carry firearms,, or so the Dems keep telling us,,,,,,,

Scary stuff.

Cops are human which means all the good and bad of every other person.
    That said, I would expect far better awareness and safety from any gun owners.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Wow. Just.. wow. I was told by someone in CA that police and military are the only ones that need firearms because they have adquit training. In reality.. most of us at the range have more "training" or practice than police because of budgets etc etc.

I was at the AGC range one day and a guy was shooting his pistol at the 100y range. No big deal but then he put it in his case.. slide not locked back, no empty chamber indicator.. and booger hook on the bang bang switch. I asked him to please keep it pointed down range instead of "at me" and he freaked out on me saying i need to relax because it's not loaded. I decided to leave that conversation and let him have his delusion of safety.

On a previous interaction w/ him he went off with his wisdom saying that a ruger american was a crap rifle and needed a Remington 700 to get sub moa.. which he wasn't doing either. yet i showed him my 5 shot group covered by a nickle at 100y w/ ruger american. He continued to share his vast knowledge of how "budget rifles" will never get sub-moa (though he just saw a target/group disproving it) and that his remington 700 can cut the nuts off a gnat at 100yards. He was sporting a solid 4 inch group with his remington 700. I told him.. most rifles will shoot better than their owners any day of the week.

I never got his name.. but i'll never forget his face or wisdom.

my point in sharing the story about MrWisdom is.. like riding a motorcycle.. always look for an emergency escape.. assume SOMEONE is going to screw up.. and "how can this go poorly". Pride and ego will quickly get in the way of safety for some.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Wow. Just.. wow. I was told by someone in CA that police and military are the only ones that need firearms because they have adquit training. In reality.. most of us at the range have more "training" or practice than police because of budgets etc etc...………...

I was talking to a county boy I ran into one evening at a convenience store about his sidearm one and he said to me, "You'd probably shoot this thing better than I can. I only ever fire it when I have to qualify." At least he was honest. :thumbsup:

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    When I was stationed in Camp Pendleton in 80s I heard a story that a mgunner was turning in a m60 to an armory without clearing his weapon and apparently there were a few clips under the cover that went off. Hear that he was killed instantly but dont know if the story is true.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    Just out of high school, I worked as a hunting guide at a local game farm running dogs for pheasant and quail hunting. Some of the scariest memories I have are from taking out a few groups of police officers. In the worst cases they tended to be over confident and would take shots that resulted in a few close calls. More than once I found myself on the ground as a barrel headed my direction following a low flying quail. I often found the novice shooters to be safer as they often let a bird go rather than take a shot they weren't 100% confident in.

This is by no means a bash on police as we had a lot of great clients and several of our other guides were active or former law enforcement but you tend to remember the one scary group more so than the 100 safe/positive experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom