• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huntmo

Nov 16, 2018
    Hagerstown, MD
    Ive recently moved to Maryland and i really just want some general rules about guns in Maryland that people feel any gunowning Maryland resident should know so I can feel more educated about the state laws. Id also love to know who i can talk to or a website I can visit to view said rules and regulations myself. I own an all matching number sks(no alteration or 20 round removable mags), 410 pump shotgun and a Rossi junior rifle where the barrels can be interchanged between .243 .22 and 20 gauge shotgun. To my understanding all of these guns are safe, but is there any benefit to registering them anyway? Also in MD can I buy ammo online and have it delivered to my house? Is it possible to buy or have "gifted" to me a semi auto .22 rifle I'm considering buying from my grandparents who live in WV? (10 round removable mag I believe) what's the process to eventually owning a handgun? If I wanted to use an AR lower to build an x-products can cannon and eventually get an upper so it can also be a regular AR-15 what should I know about that? (Already own 30-round mags pre-move because I eventually want an AR and know you cant purchase them in MD)
    I really appreciate any help and information, as a gun owner i feel it is my responsibility to be well educated.

OldNavyVet

Mar 1, 2018
    Charles County
    Ive recently moved to Maryland and i really just want some general rules about guns in Maryland that people feel any gunowning Maryland resident should know so I can feel more educated about the state laws. Id also love to know who i can talk to or a website I can visit to view said rules and regulations myself. I own an all matching number sks(no alteration or 20 round removable mags), 410 pump shotgun and a Rossi junior rifle where the barrels can be interchanged between .243 .22 and 20 gauge shotgun. To my understanding all of these guns are safe, but is there any benefit to registering them anyway? Also in MD can I buy ammo online and have it delivered to my house? Is it possible to buy or have "gifted" to me a semi auto .22 rifle I'm considering buying from my grandparents who live in WV? (10 round removable mag I believe) what's the process to eventually owning a handgun? If I wanted to use an AR lower to build an x-products can cannon and eventually get an upper so it can also be a regular AR-15 what should I know about that? (Already own 30-round mags pre-move because I eventually want an AR and know you cant purchase them in MD)
    I really appreciate any help and information, as a gun owner i feel it is my responsibility to be well educated.

I'll start with the easy one. Online ammo to your home is ok this week! Welcome aboard.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    AR15 lowers can be had at local dealers. Requires e77R and 7 day wait. Does not require HQL if transferred as "other".

Be aware of pending Maryland legislation in regards to HBAR AR15's. Several threads in recent days will be of interest. Not sure how that's gonna apply to the can cannon - that's an interesting approach to testimony on the pending legislation.

Handgun requires HQL and must be on roster. e77R and 7 day wait applies. UNLESS the handgun is C&R, in which case does not require HQL. (No C&R handgun is young enough, yet, to fall into the roster requirements.)

Transfer of any firearm across state lines requires an FFL involved somewhere. If long gun, can be in parent's state. If handgun, must be in Maryland. With exception of C&R firearms. If you have your FFL03, you can transfer eligible long gun OR handgun directly to you from out-of-state and avoid the e77R and 7 day wait for handguns (log it in your bound volume is really the only requirement).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AR15 lowers can be had at local dealers. Requires e77R and 7 day wait. Does not require HQL if transferred as "other".

Be aware of pending Maryland legislation in regards to HBAR AR15's. Several threads in recent days will be of interest. Not sure how that's gonna apply to the can cannon - that's an interesting approach to testimony on the pending legislation.

Handgun requires HQL and must be on roster. e77R and 7 day wait applies. UNLESS the handgun is C&R, in which case does not require HQL. (No C&R handgun is young enough, yet, to fall into the roster requirements.)

Transfer of any firearm across state lines requires an FFL involved somewhere. If long gun, can be in parent's state. If handgun, must be in Maryland. With exception of C&R firearms. If you have your FFL03, you can transfer eligible long gun OR handgun directly to you from out-of-state and avoid the e77R and 7 day wait for handguns (log it in your bound volume is really the only requirement).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The only thing I will add is an AR15 must built into a heavy barrel rifle in .223/5.56 caliber. No M4, pencil, etc. rifle profiles in .223/5.56
    A .300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC, .458 SOCOM, etc. are OK to build as rifles. Any caliber pistol build is OK.

No registration required for the highlighted guns and there is no benefit to you for voluntary registration.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Welcome to MDS

We call King Frosh or Prince Fat Larry for pre-approval for anything gun related , now for breathing they have been kind enough not to ban that .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Realize that if you are receiving a firearm from a person who resides in another state, the transfer must go through an FFL. This is Federal Law.

WRT to purchasing ammo online, realize that some retailers do not understand the law and do not WANT to understand it. Some will not ship to Montgomery or Anne Arundel Counties. Those laws have been preempted by state law. But they still won't send.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom