Will I be denied a firearms based off of an involuntary commitment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I also believe BATFE amended their own regs to say involuntary treatment can be defined as commitment, even under 18 years of age. Best contact an attorney. It doesn't necessarily require a court order as I have mentioned.

IANAL

Last edited:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I think it's good that people are coming to ask questions about their 2nd amendment rights and learning about the current situation.

Talking to a lawyer is the best bet for you.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    fyi. not sure about comittments under 18 yet. still looking. belive it's been amended to include ADMISSIONS as well

Attachments

• committment.jpg
      committment.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 236

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    As a minor, if your parents admitted you, that should be a voluntary committment. State law sets the bar at 14 days, federal law at 30 days. Minor children cannot admit themselves.

An involuntary commitment requires multiple steps, a petition (sometimes by parent), an examination (by doctor), a 72 hour in patient observation, and then a hearing of some type. MD case law in the 4th circuit iirc, states that only at that final hearing can an involuntary committment be adjudictated. This is a complicated process, that is much more difficult than just being admitted by a parent. This only happens if you are determined to be a danger to yourself or others. It is possible for a parent to go this route, if its a requirement for insurance coverage i suppose.

You should start by determining the date of the events, and obtaining a copy of your medical records. Further advice can be given from there.

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    This case points out the greatest flaw in the current firearms law: There is no "safe" way for a person to get "pre-approval". You have to attempt to buy a gun to find out if you are allowed to possess, but that application alone opens you to arrest & prosecution. (It's rare for anyone not a felon to be prosecuted for this, but it could happen.)

Yeah, telling the OP to get a lawyer is the best response. But, that could cost him a lot of money, & a lawyer's opinion doesn't protect him. It would be a good idea if the OP were to request a copy of his records from the institution now, since, without that, no one can help.

No one will discuss the records accessed by the State Dept of Health & Mental Hygiene, but I suspect that they don't have much. MD mental health records are mostly in paper files, & there is no reporting requirement for health care providers. Consider the case of Korryn Gaines, suffering from severe brain damage caused by lead exposure, but was able to buy a shotgun.

The OP was smart to check with this forum first. There are LOTS of folks with problems in their past who are in a similar situation, but are afraid to expose themselves to the public, & don't know where to go for help.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    No offense OP anyone else notice these come in droves?

I'm not making any judgement on the OP, in fact, he sounds legit to me. But yeah, there sure seem to be a good number of trap posts happening. In every case, I've seen good, legitimate and lawful responses. Any antis trying to get this community to advocate breaking the laws are going to be disappointed.

That's exactly right.

Yeah, my mom had to sign a paper when I got there. This is what leads me to believe that this is considered voluntary commitment under the law, since I was minor. I'm sure the paper had "voluntary" on it.

I will now be checking with some lawyers on subreddit on reddit. (Didn't think of that earlier)

No, I didnt sign anything.

Forget Internet legal advice except for some background research. Go see a real lawyer in person. Most will give an initial consult for free and lay out for you the steps and costs involved in securing your rights. Do that.

I think it's good that people are coming to ask questions about their 2nd amendment rights and learning about the current situation.

Talking to a lawyer is the best bet for you.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Odd that you post that link, then a few hours later that linked post is edited....:innocent0

I'm not positive about it ... But, maybe the mods have access to the pre edited version. If they do and there is anything odd... I'm sure they will know how to deal with it.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    If it does hang you up there is a process to get your rights restored, it will involve a lawyer, a psychiatrist that is willing to say you are sane, and meetings with the state board that over sees this. My BIL was the first one to go through it in Maryland. The letter I mention in the last post in this thread; https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=136525&page=6 was not the last one he got another letter recently that still does not officially acknowledged anything but the fact that he wont be denied the purchase of a firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom