• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 31, 2012
    I'm only 25, but this is the first election I participated in, and it was SB281 that woke me up and got me to pay attention more closely to politics. I know there's at least a few others like me here in Western MD.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    To all who were awakened by the 2A screwing last year, the Dems have been screwing us out of everything else for years. Hope this wakes us up at every level. Annapolis MGA sessions have been the pols' little playground for far too long.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Holly f,,k can we let the Deocats do the' gun control was not an issue 'spin? They made it an issue ...I d
    No worky we use that.

We can use all the leverage we can get..

The friendly fire around here is hurting us.

We do our fight they do thiers.

Yup. I was blanketed with mailers and phone calls about how dangerous Kittleman's and Hogan's ideas were. Both state legislature Democrat candidates for my district had more gun control in their platforms. The Democrats made it an issue and they still lost.

So instead of assisting the Democrats in their quest to claim that Maryland gun owners can be ignored without consequence, we should be planning the biggest rally Annapolis has seen since FSA was jammed through to remind them that they lost because of us. Make them claim our civil rights weren't an issue instead of foolishly nodding along.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Let's not kid ourselves. It was not SB281 that got Larry Hogan elected (otherwise Frosh would not have made it to be the AG). It was the deluge of taxes and the economy overall.

I think this is the main reason, but as stated already, there might have been enough people voting solely on the 2nd Amendment issue to have swung this election to Hogan. Of course, I voted against Brown for a myriad of matters. Cannot say I would have voted for somebody completely pro 2nd Amendment if he/she had nothing else to offer and the Lt. Governor appeared to be capable of lowering taxes and keeping the economic climate in Maryland a great climate.

End of the day, the current administration pissed off enough people to ensure that the Lt. Governor did not get elected.

Now, as far as Frosh is concerned, there really wasn't much running against him. So, not really the same argument can be made. Hogan is a quality candidate.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Brown's campaign at least illustrated that an anti-gun platform didn't have legs in Maryland. It was not sufficient to bring out the vote and likely viewed as less important by Dems with anti-gun tendencies that did vote and were more concerned about competence and taxation. I thought the most incompetent man ads run by Hogan immediately after Brown won his primary were devastatingly effective in framing him as their contest was starting (despite the carping by the Brown campaign regarding the photos).

There's also some evidence that there was a significant uptick in pro-2A voters, at least in some regions.

Bongino ran awfully close to the incumbent Delaney in District 6, which had been recently Gerrymandered to favor Dems. Bongino was one of the most visible 2A supporters in the election.

In Frederick county, Chuck Jenkins was also strongly associated with 2A rights, and despite predictions of a close race with a credible opponent (that one of the mods here had spoken favorably of), dominated.

Finally, Ron Young, who voted for SB-281 and then desperately tried to reposition himself as a moderate/independent (in ads and at my front door) squeaked by Corey Stottlemeyer, who was a milquetoast candidate that made no effort to engage the 2A community that was trying to engage him (see last two posts in this thread ... https://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=158973&page=2). Just stupid. Given the votes for Jenkins, Stottlemeyer could have had a shot. Even though Stottlemeyer was weak, Young barely won, and I think it was due to anger over SB-281 (hence his desire to position himself as moderate).

As has been noted in the news media, in MD there was likely a confluence of factors that flipped the governorship ... Brown's incompetence, anger over O'Malley tax increases, Democratic voter apathy, Hogan making a good impression at the debates, pro-2A voters being fired up to vote, etc. Nonetheless, I was as surprised by Hogan's win here as I was by Hinckenlooper hanging on in Colorado.

Now, as far as Frosh is concerned, there really wasn't much running against him. So, not really the same argument can be made. Hogan is a quality candidate.

Agree, and his home base of support in MC really makes candidates that are from that region (given the money and large population base) very hard to beat. I doubt SB-281 was necessary for him to get elected AG, and ironically, may have hurt Dem efforts statewide. It's all good for Frosh though as he can look to position himself as the alternative in the next MD governor election. Enjoy these next 4 years.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    Is there going to be a state wide accounting of Anti Gun Politicians that were ousted. I know Mike Miller retained his State Senate seat in Calvert. :(

Thanks to the gerrymandered district. He actually lost in Calvert but the rest of his district carried him.

agstevens05

Jan 24, 2013
    It didn't take that to wake me up. I already vote in every election and it pisses me off when others don't. We could be winning elections if all of us would just vote. If not win then at least make it so they don't win by such big numbers. It would send a message.

For those that woke up due to SB281 stay awake.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Hogan won not by a small margin. The race was not close. If you take out the many thousands of illegal immigrants who are able to vote as the result of no checks and balances in MD Hogan crushed Brown by double digits. Hopefully Hogan can work on this as Governor. People that don't pay taxes and rob us of our tax dollars through social programs intended for citizens should not be able to vote.

The top 5 issues that won the election for Hogan IMO are as follows in order:

1. Taxes/Economy: we have been taxed to death for 8 years, businesses have fled the state along with jobs (I had been preparing through expanding my business to other states for the possibility to leave if Brown were elected)
    2. Brown and the Dems ran a disgusting negative & racist campaign and turned off voters of all shades and demographics. Hogan did not take the bait. Hogan campaigned with a positive vision and showed passion for MD.
    3. Brown had no message, no vision, and came off as incompetent/unintelligent every time he spoke throughout the campaign. Brown let his handlers define him and as such he had nothing positive to say except for "we need to make MD a better MD for Marylander's" whatever the f--k that means. I took it as a welcome mat for illegal immigrants. Opinions may vary on what he meant but in any event it was B.S.
    4. Healthcare fiasco, Hogan was able to demonstrate that Brown bungled his only real duty in 8 years and wasted hundreds of millions of our hard earned dollars. (BTW - my plan renews in Dec. 2014 and my rates just went up by over $100 per month. We didn't even use $500 worth of healthcare last year as a family. Somebody has to pay for the freeloaders, looks like it is me and many of you. I also could not keep my plan last year despite the lies to the contrary.)
    5. Gun control, it is on the list but not near as high as the other points. We were motivated to vote over this issue anyway, this is not what brought the independents and Dems over to Hogan's side though. It is a factor though and I think it is important that Hogan recognizes us. Adding self defense as G&S and doing away with worthless restrictions for permit holders will go a long way to keeping us happy and would cost him virtually no political capital if done quickly and quietly. No intervention from the GA is necessary. If he waits until year 2, 3, or 4, it will absolutely be used successfully against him in a re-election bid. If he does it now/soon it will be of no use to the Dems in 4 years because crime will drop and bloodshed will not happen. we all know this. I hope Hogan does as well.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    Thanks to the gerrymandered district. He actually lost in Calvert but the rest of his district carried him.

his district is a very strange district, the very southern part of pg, the very northern part of charles county and then a nice chuck of calvert. I did my best to help get him out as i live in that part of charles co, but there are quite a few entrenched folks that vote the straight D party ticket

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hogan won not by a small margin. The race was not close. If you take out the many thousands of illegal immigrants who are able to vote as the result of no checks and balances in MD Hogan crushed Brown by double digits.
    There were 200,000 fewer votes cast in this election than 2010, and for comparison's sake, 70,000 fewer votes than when Ehrlich won in 2002.

1BADI5

Are we there yet
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft Meade AOR
    I'll probably get flamed for this, but I don't think that SB281 had anything to do with the governorship this election.

Marylanders are being crushed with higher and higher taxes and fees. We are the laughing stock of the nation for absurd and over reaching taxation. In reality I believe this election was won on 2 reasons.

1) Taxes
    2) Brown

Brown has done a absolute terrible job, and that fact was incredibly easy to convey.

Hogan is going to have a difficult time, as the make up of MD houses an senate did not change all that much. I'm praying he doesn't not end up like Ehrlich.

Agreed

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    There were 200,000 fewer votes cast in this election than 2010, and for comparison's sake, 70,000 fewer votes than when Ehrlich won in 2002.
    No argument on that. We got out to vote. Many Dems protested the sh1t candidate and his policies by staying home. Of the people that voted it was not that close of a race. That was and is my point.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    No argument on that. We got out to vote. Many Dems protested the sh1t candidate and his policies by staying home. Of the people that voted it was not that close of a race. That was and is my point.
    And it's a good point. What I'd like to see in the next 4 years is to let the masses of the state know that Republicans are not their enemy - we need to move a few D's over to the R side of things, and then get them to get out and vote.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I don't think we won this because of 2A issues, but the 2A crowd sure helped.

From what I can tell, the assault on 2A came from the very top and was power pushed through. We have that problem handled, there won't be a mandate from above being pushed down. Is there that much incentive for the current Senators and Delegates to push for more control?

I'm betting a lot of promises were made for votes for SB286. Are those promises going to be kept with the Bumburg strings cut? Are the ones that were pushed into risking their political capital going to get their reward or are they going to be willing to stick their necks out again?

I don't know, but I'll bet some are going to be more cautious. We should keep reminding them that we haven't forgotten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom