• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've always been a scope guy. Whether its a standard cross-hair reticle, bdc, or chevron to even red dot, almost all my long guns carry some kind of glass on them.

You hear a lot about first focal plane vs. second focal plane scopes. While I kind of know the difference between those two types, I could really use some help clarifying their physical differences as well as to their preferred uses. Where one might 'outshine' the other as well as their short comings.

Anyone care to take this on?

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    I've always been a scope guy. Whether its a standard cross-hair reticle, bdc, or chevron to even red dot, almost all my long guns carry some kind of glass on them.

You hear a lot about first focal plane vs. second focal plane scopes. While I kind of know the difference between those two types, I could really use some help clarifying their physical differences as well as to their preferred uses. Where one might 'outshine' the other as well as their short comings.

Anyone care to take this on?

FFP the reticle will change/increase in size when you increase magnification where as SECOND stays the the same regardless of the magnification. FFP is like easy mode IMO. Whatever your zero is in 1x, it's the same in 4x. On a second focal plane the zero will change when you increase magnification so you have different holdovers to remember. FFP is very popular with the 3 gun crowd and apparently hunting (Although I can't speak on it because I don't hunt)

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    First focal plane maintains the same reticle size through all magnification levels. Best use is using the reticle to measure things for unknown distance shooting so you can use mental math to determine elevation and windage corrections. Almost like using a ruler while you're shooting, its useful in precision shooting and long range shooting.
    Second focal plane changes with magnification levels so the reticle doesn't interfere with the sight picture as much. Useful for hunting, self defense, and any times you need to maintain a sight picture and ranging isn't as important.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Ffp is usefull when ranging targets of unknown distance at any magnification. No matter the magnification the subtensions in your reticle stay the same. With a sfp scope your subtensions change with increased magnification so for accurate ranging you need to either use more math to get an accurate range to your target or make sure when ranging you have your magnification set to where the manufacturer states. Usually its max magnification but not always. Also as stated above on a ffp scope your reticle actually grows as you increase magnification. Sometimes this can be a problem with something like a 2-12x your subtenision lines or dots need to be big enough to count on 2x but not so big as cover the entire target once you zoom in to 12x.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There's generally not a lot of downside to using FFP when you've got a minimum zoom level of 4x or so. Where strong opinions emerge is when you're talking 1-X scopes. Some people really, really do not like having their reticle turn into a dot at 1x, especially when the illumination is not sun-bright. Personally, I think it's great.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    If your Point of impact changes when you change magnification its not because you have a sfp scope. Its beacuse you either have a defective scope or a cheaply made scope

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If your Point of impact changes when you change magnification its not because you have a sfp scope. Its beacuse you either have a defective scope or a cheaply made scope

I (would guess) all my scopes are SFP and have never noticed impact discrepancies, but to be truthful, I sight my hunting guns at full power and unless I'm making a long shot, I'm usually powered at 5-7x. I usually kill what I shoot at. Since deer don't wear bull's eyes, no way to tell any impact shift.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Take a look at this video as well. It is a great video about Mil dot scopes, but he explains FFP v SFP scopes at the 7:30 mark.

An here is a quick one from Vortex.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    I (would guess) all my scopes are SFP and have never noticed impact discrepancies, but to be truthful, I sight my hunting guns at full power and unless I'm making a long shot, I'm usually powered at 5-7x. I usually kill what I shoot at. Since deer don't wear bull's eyes, no way to tell any impact shift.

I wasn't really talking about point of impact although I believe I could have worded it better. I was referring to holdovers changing with changes in magnification.

I have an FFP Bushnell on my AR, and I actually don't like it much. It's a nice scope except it's my first time using FFP. All of my other scopes that I've ever used in 20ish years of shooting have been SFP. It might just be my eyes but to me when the reticle gets smaller in FFP, it gets blurry and gets harder to distinguish the markings.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You need to turn on illumination with the Bushnell. It will make the reticle much more easy to see. The reality is, the BDC markings aren't really usable below 3.5x or so... just too small.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    I have an FFP Bushnell on my AR, and I actually don't like it much. It's a nice scope except it's my first time using FFP. All of my other scopes that I've ever used in 20ish years of shooting have been SFP. It might just be my eyes but to me when the reticle gets smaller in FFP, it gets blurry and gets harder to distinguish the markings.

It's not your eyes I have the same problem just depends on the conditions outside. Most of the reticles aren't daylight bright even on full power(That is unless you are looking at some FFP optics that cost $1000+). Also a problem I have had is if it's daylight and you are looking at a shaded area you will lose that small black reticle if it isn't illuminated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom