• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b7a_1519440723

For years I have been saying you have to close the distance(especially when the threat is moving) to make accurate critical shots. Speed, surprise and violence of action.
    She said the gun misfired, she was very lucky. But I wonder at what point that happened? So I guess he just went on with his bluff, which proved bad move on his part. Seems the cop had no clue.
    Watch a few times, different parts and distances. Especially look at his foot work.
    The classic Hostage taker stance. At about 25 second mark, the cop speeds to close the gap, the bad guy never expects the cop to shoot, and then he was violently shot. 9 at night as well.
    This is all part of the mindset of being in the fight, having nothing else in your life matter other than staying alive and taking care of business.

The guy who posted said this was most likely luck. This was not luck. This was great skill and confidence in ability which is paramount when taking a shot.
    This being San Diego PD, I bet this cop was a former SEAL.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 7.11.41 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 7.11.41 PM.jpg
      30.6 KB · Views: 504

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Dang, closed that gap very quickly and didn't hesitant at all. Great work on the officers side.

Can't tell if shotgun or rifle, due to how quickly the perp dropped gonna assume shotgun.

Those of us ignorant citizens honestly don't know any better. I never trained with pistols and just casually shoot maybe 5 times a year. I personally should probably take some training or already start shooting some pistol matches.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Dang, closed that gap very quickly and didn't hesitant at all. Great work on the officers side.

Can't tell if shotgun or rifle, due to how quickly the perp dropped gonna assume shotgun.

Those of us ignorant citizens honestly don't know any better. I never trained with pistols and just casually shoot maybe 5 times a year. I personally should probably take some training or already start shooting some pistol matches.

Headshot like that with a shotgun ya need to be close. Not sure I am doing it with one.

Last edited:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Not only was he closing the distance quickly he was moving left for the better angle for the shot. Impressive.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Based on his right hand posture it looks like a shotgun to me. You can see his thumb going over the top of the firearm. Also I can kind of make out the magazine tube of the shotgun. Seems risky using a shotgun that close to a hostage's head but shotguns don't spread much at all that close.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Is there a situation where you wouldn't want to close the distance? For example, you're pretty proficient with a gun, the threat clearly isn't. You're caught in the open without nearby cover to move to. Would something like this make it more beneficial to maintain distance, with the assumption that you're skill over the bad guy gives you an advantage at distance, or is closing just all around going to be advantageous?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

For years I have been saying you have to close the distance(especially when the threat is moving) to make accurate critical shots. Speed, surprise and violence of action.

Watch a few times, different parts and distances. Especially look at his foot work.

The classic Hostage taker stance. At about 25 second mark, the cop speeds to close the gap, the bad guy never expects the cop to shoot, and then he was violently shot. 9 at night as well.
    This is all part of the mindset of being in the fight, having nothing else in your life matter other than staying alive and taking care of business.

Yeah, slowed down the vid to look at the last couple of seconds, and as you said, the foot work was excellent. He circled the pair counter clockwise with the hostage leaning on the left front of the attacker, who was holding a gun with his right hand. As soon as the officer had a clean, close bead on the guy's head, he didn't hesitate.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Is there a situation where you wouldn't want to close the distance? For example, you're pretty proficient with a gun, the threat clearly isn't. You're caught in the open without nearby cover to move to. Would something like this make it more beneficial to maintain distance, with the assumption that you're skill over the bad guy gives you an advantage at distance, or is closing just all around going to be advantageous?
    No cover for the hostage. This scenario you have to go save a life.

No hostage, then you can get into a classic duck behind a car trunk shoot out.

At distance, no need to close the gap. Lob rounds at each other from 50 yards all you want. Without hitting any bystanders of course.

Me personally, unless he's shooting at me, I'm probably not engaging outside of 20 yards.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm taking from that at least as much a lesson to move for better angle , than closing per se .

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Closing enabled him to get the angle, and up close. The officer used the hostage as an obstruction in the field of vision of the hostage taker when rushing forward. After closing the gap, he quickly circled to the hostage taker's exposed strong side.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom