• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I prefer the balance of a 4'' barreled revolver for home defense and general purpose use to 25 yards and a 6" for targets over 25. The revolvers I shoot all wear a set of Herrett Jordan Troopers or a wood Hogue Monogrip.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    My .357 S&W Model 19 is 6". I only target shoot, and having carried a 4" S&W for work.....I would have a 4" if I could carry.
    2a96072ca9137a9854afce793dff230c.jpg

Of course, you can always pair it up with a 6" Model 17 for some inexpensive practice!!!

b53b054ac41f6014742c2eec22622e67.jpg

Both are tack drivers by the way.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Over the years, I've owned .357 Magnum revolvers in various barrel lengths. I'm down to two Colts in .357, a 4" Trooper and a 6" Trooper MK III. For strictly range use, I prefer the 6" Trooper. It is a beautiful revolver, with the Colt Royal Blue finish. The longer barrel is easier to shoot with and recover from full magnum rounds. I have the original target grips, they work very well for my hand when shooting double-action.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The only comparison that I have is two model 10s in .38 special. One with a 2" and one with a 6" barrel.

My experience firing both guns is that at 25' from the target, I consistently shoot tighter groups and have faster follow up shots with the 2". My only reasoning is that I am not of large stature(age and disease makes it worse each year as I get shorter and weaker) and the bullet leaves the barrel of the 2" faster with less muzzle rise. It has never made sense to me, but this is why the 2" is my preference. I can get back on target faster and this is important to me in case I ever need to use it in a life threatening situation.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Back in the days when the Action Pistol and PPC games were ruled by revolvers the standard format was a 6” heavy barrel, typically with a rib and and multiposition rear sight, shooting 38 Special grade ammunition. I had such a revolver and the formula works. For modern action type revolver matches the lighter barrels transition faster. My Security Six was produced as a 6” gun. It now is a 4” gun. Its a little faster between targets as a 4” but tamer recoil of the 6” configuration virtually makes up for it since the gun settles faster. Heavy 6” barreled revolvers are ***** cats in 357 Magnum caliber.

For years, save for the 22LR, virtually all my handgun shooting was magnum revolvers. Even now, when looking at a magnum revolver for anything but CCW I typically look at 5” to 6.5” heavy barrels. They work.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For Guitar Nick , and others in that situation:

You shoot 2in K Frames so well , because the sight radius is Shorter . This lets vision of a certain age have a clearer picture on the rear sight while properly focused on the front sight .

I remain in lust with my 2in K Frames.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    For Guitar Nick , and others in that situation:

You shoot 2in K Frames so well , because the sight radius is Shorter . This lets vision of a certain age have a clearer picture on the rear sight while properly focused on the front sight .

I remain in lust with my 2in K Frames.

I might agree with the clearer picture thought but this has been the same for me for the last 40 years.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even when I was young , I shot my 2.75in Speed Six at least as accurately as the longer ones.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Both my .357 mag revolvers are 6". They are 686 and Model 27 S&Ws. I used to have a 4" Model 19 ...until my daughter talked me out of it. It was a nice gun, but I fed it mostly 38s. Also have a Smith Target model 6" in 45 acp . So, no, I don't regret having 6" barrel guns...I prefer them, actually. I like the longer sight radius for both range work and hunting....and , of course, Maryland requires minimum 6" for hunting deer. I also think that shorter barrels tend to waste some of the 357 mag energy potential. I would only prefer the 4" barrel if I wanted to carry it regularly. I do have a pre model number Smith K38 with 4" that is a nicely balanced gun that is a virtual twin to the Model 19.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I have a 6 inch in a 586 combat masterpiece and a 4 inch on a GP100 the 586 is more difficult because of the longer site radius but for long range use I find it da bomb. I love the GP100 on pins. Quick acquisition great knock down. If you remember they have different uses you can't forget that when shooting. My wife prefers the 4 inch on the dan Wesson for pins. I was happy she made that observation herself.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    * On Average * the 6in gains significant velocity, particularly with full power.357.

But just like people drowning in average 1in deep water , individual guns vary . Once upon a time , I chrono'ed my guns using Federal 125gr jhp .357 . My 4in M65 was particularly "fast" , and actually slightly faster than my 6 in , which was on the slow side of average .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom