• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Wanting to get some feedback on Steyr guns -- I don't trust gun reviews and places like Bud's comments, which feel seeded/edited.

What I am looking for is the lowest recoiling 9mm, and these seem to be it. I haven't held one (stuck here in Korea another year), but I can see there are many things about the grip that I like.

Thoughts and general comments on Steyr? This will be for carry, in free America. Is there a new model of the compact? What would be best? Feelings vs Glock, S&W 2.0, CZ et.al..?

Thanks!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The L9A1 was the first polymer framed pistol I ever bought. They're a great choice for anyone who wants a striker-fired pistol without the name 'Glock' on it but still wants something equally well-built and dependable.

The Steyr is definitely a departure from the ordinary. You'll notice that the first time you look thru its trapezoidal sights. Trigger pull is decent compared to Glock but, nowhere nearly as great as the Walther PPQ's.

But, if you're looking for the lowest-recoiling 9mm pistol, I've yet to shoot any with less recoil than either a CZ 75 or an SP-01.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I've got the m40 a1. The grip angle is amazing and as mentioned those trapezoid sights are nice. I really like mine never had any issue with cycling any ammo I ran through it.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    You post a ton of questions about different pistols that you might buy when you get to the states...Some day.

How about you wait til you're here, then go to a range and rent them all. The advice is all useless unless you actually intend to go try them.

FYI, 9mm recoil is nothing in all but the tiniest guns, so long as you have moderate adult male size and strength. Plastic, lightweight striker fired guns will have slightly more than none. Big metal framed guns less so.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    You post a ton of questions about different pistols that you might buy when you get to the states...Some day.

How about you wait til you're here, then go to a range and rent them all. The advice is all useless unless you actually intend to go try them.

Ah, ok.

So I am not allowed to discuss guns until I get back?

I'm sorry, I must have missed the rules.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    No, you can do what you like.

It just seems like you're wasting your own time, fantasizing over it. Like you want these very specific things out of a gun. But the tone of your posts tells me you've rarely actually used one.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Ah, ok.

So I am not allowed to discuss guns until I get back?

I'm sorry, I must have missed the rules.

LOL I prefer the gun discussions over the political discussions so, as far as I'm concerned, have-at-it, brother.

The Steyr is a great pistol but, it's a...Steyr. That means sacrificing a lot in terms of aftermarket availability of parts/accessories compared to Glock and many of the other, more popular, pistol brands. Extra mags are pricy. Holster-choices are limited.

If recoil-management is your #1 priority, to be honest, I hadn't noticed the Steyr being significantly milder than any of the other 9mm pistols I currently own. It has a very low bore-axis, like a CZ, that helps mitigate some muzzle flip between shots but, as far as recoil goes, it's comparatively the same. Of course, perceived recoil is a relative thing. 9mm seems pretty tame to me until I start getting into the +P and +P+ LE/Defensive loads.

All-Steel guns, like the CZ 75 and Browning HP, are arguably the 9mm low-recoil kings due to their sheer mass. I won't say the Steyr is the lowest-recoiling of the polymer guns but it has a somewhat less 'snappy' feeling than either a Glock or a Walther. It's a chunky monkey! :D

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    No, you can do what you like.

It just seems like you're wasting your own time, fantasizing over it. Like you want these very specific things out of a gun. But the tone of your posts tells me you've rarely actually used one.

Dude take a chill pill. Personal attacks on people aren't going to get you much love on this forum. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Dude take a chill pill. Personal attacks on people aren't going to get you much love on this forum. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything.

Amen to that. Gun discussions are the meat of MDS. When I've had a week from hell at work, dealing with software BS and the resulting customer insanity about how I'm personally responsible for ruining their lives/careers, there's nothing I find more relaxing than a good BS-session about guns.

:party29:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

Noted. My apologies to the O.P.

If you're looking for lowest recoil, ill offer up a test drive of my cz SP-01 with tuned springs, anytime you're interested. The extra mass of the gun makes recoil seem less, in my experience.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have a L9A1 and love shooting it. Trigger in my opinion is better than a glock. With a higher hand hold there is less muzzle rise. It took me a mag or 2 to get used to the sites. But once I did, I really liked them. I don't think you will be disappointed!

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Noted. My apologies to the O.P.

If you're looking for lowest recoil, ill offer up a test drive of my cz SP-01 with tuned springs, anytime you're interested. The extra mass of the gun makes recoil seem less, in my experience.

I usually get back to Iowa every summer. With the exception of last summer, I try to trade off and get a different gun to carry and try out for a few weeks before leaving for Korea.

May not get back this summer, as we are planning a permanent move back to Iowa in 2019.

I did get to shoot several guns that I have asked about, when visiting the local indoor range. I don't remember a Steyr there, at the time. What I have learned is that I shoot guns with thin grips and chunky bodies well, and fatter ones and/or with thinner barrels poorly (bad with M&P). So far, had the best luck with the single stack 9mm Glock.

The Steyr seemed to have many similar qualities in grip angle and grip thinness. I seem to do well with the Glock's grip angle, and bore axis. I have a light tremor in my hand, which gets worse with shooting a box of ammo. More grip angle gives me a more steady purchase -- maybe with the angle my hand is at keeping the tremor less -- improving my accuracy. I can shoot my 1911 ok (for me), but accuracy goes south pretty fast from tremor worsening with fatigue.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    For thin grip and chunky slide, you might also try the fns or fn-509. Though, like the steyr, there is zero after market support.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I am a big fan of the M9A1. Just wish it would have sold better, had more aftermarket support, and then more development in the early 2000s.

Yes its flat shooting and fast cycling. The traps are wacky but work well. The trigger with the BT part I talk about below is great.

***Before you read on, note that I am talking about original M9A1s. Not sure these are still issues with newer models.***

The older models had small and heavy mag release button, now remedied by Ranger Point Tacticals spring. The new models have bigger buttons, so I cannot talk to those. Link below.

They also had issues with mag springs and extractor springs. Steyr CS sent me new stuff.

There was a part in the firing system that would sometimes bind and your trigger pull would go to like 10lbs every 100 rounds or so. A guy named Big Taco made the Glide Rite Striker Guide. This fixed the problem and smoothed the trigger. $12!

Again, not sure this is still a problem.

https://btguiderods.com/category/steyr-acc/

http://www.rangerpointstore.com/steyr-a1-pistol-parts.html

I still love my M9A1 although I don't shoot it much anymore. I wish the L9A1 was a little longer but at some point I want to try one out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom