• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So I am going through the process of filling out the order form for the CMP 1911. One item CMP wants is the license number for the FFL, along with the name and address. I contacted the FFL I am using (an IP here) and they stated

"I cannot provide our FFL license to a non-FFL. I can send it to the other FFL if you provide us that information."

Fine with me but, CMP wants the license number, and "incomplete orders will not be accepted".

And CMP has this in their checklist wrt the FFL license:
    "We prefer the signed copy be included with your order or faxed with your name attached."

Well if I am going to have it FAX'd, why do you (CMP) need the FFL license number?? CMP does not make this easy.

On the other hand; I have subsequently discovered that one can look up license numbers from ATF, so I don't understand why my an FFL can't give out their license number.

:banghead:

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Having access to the FFL number is one thing but I an understand why a FFL would not want to provide a customer a copy of the actual FFL certificate.

It's the certificate that is supposed to change hands when firearms are transferred. If a customer had a copy they could misrepresent themselves as the FFL and damage the FFLs reputation or worse, firearms could get transferred in the FFLs name that are not tracked.

Since you have their FFL number from the ATF, I would put it in the form. If you are lucky enough to win the random drawing for these "guns", I would imagine that the CMP would want to do the FFL license dance if they do not already have it on file.

Personally I looked over what the CMP said that they were going to offer (here) and they really were not worth it at the prices they quoted. If you are cool with what they are providing then more power to you.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Having access to the FFL number is one thing but I an understand why a FFL would not want to provide a customer a copy of the actual FFL certificate.

It's the certificate that is supposed to change hands when firearms are transferred. If a customer had a copy they could misrepresent themselves as the FFL and damage the FFLs reputation or worse, firearms could get transferred in the FFLs name that are not tracked.

Since you have their FFL number from the ATF, I would put it in the form. If you are lucky enough to win the random drawing for these "guns", I would imagine that the CMP would want to do the FFL license dance if they do not already have it on file.

Personally I looked over what the CMP said that they were going to offer (here) and they really were not worth it at the prices they quoted. If you are cool with what they are providing then more power to you.

For a fully copy that is otherwise clean, yeah probably. That said, several companies have their FFLs on their website. Whole thing. Usually lightly watermarked.

The FFL number buys you nothing, probably your LGS doesn’t understand that.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh also why they want it separately on your application, probably because if the copy of the FFL is faxed in it makes it way easier for them to match the faxed copy to your application. Probably less so having the copy included with your application.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

One other thing to keep in mind is you still have to do all this even if you want to bid on some of the nicer 1911's for auction. None of these are going to be a great deal, but the money at least goes to CMP.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Course I noticed that they have two license numbers listed with ATF; not sure which one to use.

AFAIK the FFL numbers are per license. The fourth part of the FFL number string is the license type. So it should be 01 up through 07.

The last number that is five long is the only really unique part of the FFL string. All of the rest are location, IRS taxing district, FFL type, when it expires, your county and the unique sequence issue. Not exactly in that order.

You want the FFL number that is -01- for the fourth part of it (dealer in firearms/gunsmith).

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    AFAIK the FFL numbers are per license. The fourth part of the FFL number string is the license type. So it should be 01 up through 07.

The last number that is five long is the only really unique part of the FFL string. All of the rest are location, IRS taxing district, FFL type, when it expires, your county and the unique sequence issue. Not exactly in that order.

You want the FFL number that is -01- for the fourth part of it (dealer in firearms/gunsmith).

Ah - thanks.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    By the instructions, it must be a signed copy of your FFL's license. They provide a fax number and an email address for the FFL to send these. With your (the customer's) name.
    This is the only part of the 1911 packet that is sent in separately.
    Just thier number won't do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180715-131848_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20180715-131848_Chrome.jpg
      106.4 KB · Views: 184

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Any 01 FFL who claims that it cannot provide a copy of it license or similar is seriously mentally challenged and should lose ALL of you business. These fools - and I do mean fools - should know that the BATFE publishes a list of all 01 FFL numbers, complete with names and addresses.

Tell your FFL to choke on a chode

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom