• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    Hi Everyone,

I am toying with the idea of doing something I have never done before - paying for someone else to fix my classic car! I have had this pretty nice 1964 Chevy Impala Convertible for a couple of years now. It needs a few things and I just do not feel up to the task. I like to work on it, but my back has deteriorated to the point where if I work on it for 1 day, I am out for 3.

I was in the process of fixing a power steering pulley alignment issue and just have not been able to finish it. Same with the electronic ignition conversion I started (Pertronix). So now I have it partially disassembled so it has not run in almost 2 years! It is a crime to have this sit and not be used.

I was either thinking of hiring someone to come to my house and work on it, or even just having it towed somewhere, but I have no idea who can still work on these cars (and I am by no means rich, but can pay a reasonable sum). It is a dual four barrel car, so that adds to the complexity. It seems that most modern mechanics have never seen 1 four barrel let alone two from the factory!

Does anyone have any experience with people or shops in the central MD area? I appreciate your help!

10xclean

MDS Supporter
    Dec 23, 2008
    Kingsville
    Maryland Performance Specialities - known the owner for 30+ yrs. Not cheap, but done right the first time. Off of Route 40 in the Rosedale area.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Emerald City Automotive.
    Chennault Way
    Gaithersburg‎ MD‎ 20879

They work on classic cars. They received a referral from a MB dealer that couldn't figure out a problem with an old Mercedes. They figured out the problem and the customer has been bringing his car collection to them since then. They always have classics in the garage mixed in with current models. The owner and at least one of the mechanics is old school. I like the fact that they aren't just part changers. They want to know what is wrong and can prove that what they do will fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have a '66 Mustang Convertible I need to work on and I am building a '65 AC Cobra. Need help with that one. Thanks for the info.

DCS Automotive (443)790-3214 Dave,in Crownsville,he works for the State but has a nice side gig.
    Severn Johnson (410)923-2599 Severn,in Crownsville (Severn's Performance Center).

Check prices (kinda hard to give an estimate though)but Autofab is high and somewhere down the line ELD is tied in with them so be careful.Last I heard Bill Coleman was working out of his house but I think Larry (Ladds porting Service)is still there in the back.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Great thanks. I think I can handle the Mustang repair no problem but need help mating the engine and tranny for the cobra and getting it into the car. Also need help measuring the drive shaft.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    There are still lots of folks that can work on those.....must be 40+ years since my last car with dual quads.....really not difficult to tune....

I would suggest your best bet is to talk with other enthusiasts....Saturday night car cruises start again at Marley Station mall on the 21st of this month....almost always around 3-400 classic cars....just walk around and start engaging folks....make some new friends..I'm sure you will find someone willing to help you out....

Also check out the Lost In The 50's facebook page...in there monthly newsletter there are ads for local companies working on older vehicles....

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I am using velocity stack fuel injection. Need help setting that up on the engine as well. I am a body and paint guy by hobby. I am a systems engineer by trade.

Wanted to try building a car just to say I did it. Bucket list and all. It has a 351W with a TMW Fuel Injected Velocity stack with a Redline computer control. But cannot find anyone/shop that knows the redline software.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I am using velocity stack fuel injection. Need help setting that up on the engine as well. I am a body and paint guy by hobby. I am a systems engineer by trade.

Wanted to try building a car just to say I did it. Bucket list and all. It has a 351W with a TMW Fuel Injected Velocity stack with a Redline computer control. But cannot find anyone/shop that knows the redline software.

I always loved the look of the velocity stack fuel injection....seen many cars with it back in the day when I dragged raced....but damned if I know anyone that knows how to work on that system.....

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I have a '66 Mustang Convertible I need to work on and I am building a '65 AC Cobra. Need help with that one. Thanks for the info.

A replica Cobra is still on my bucket list too. I want to build an LS powered one. My C6 vette changed my love affair with classic cars a little bit since it out outruns my 69 Camaro with the AC on. Still love the 69 Camaro but unless it is 60-75 degrees and sunny it sits.

I used a shop on Mountain Rd and Rt 40 to do some work on my 67 GTO but I think they are gone now...been 7 years or so. I was trying to find someone to mini tub the 69 a few years ago but gave up the search.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    A replica Cobra is still on my bucket list too. I want to build an LS powered one. My C6 vette changed my love affair with classic cars a little bit since it out outruns my 69 Camaro with the AC on. Still love the 69 Camaro but unless it is 60-75 degrees and sunny it sits.

I used a shop on Mountain Rd and Rt 40 to do some work on my 67 GTO but I think they are gone now...been 7 years or so. I was trying to find someone to mini tub the 69 a few years ago but gave up the search.

Well heck....I will give you a couple thousand and a brick of .22 LR for the '69...no point letting it sit around :)

The shop you are referring to has been closed for a while now....

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Two places to talk to in Mount Airy are York Automotive and Total Performance. Ed and Teddy York build race cars and always work on them for other people. Total Performance advertises itself on Mustang forums for the type of tuning work you want done.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Well heck....I will give you a couple thousand and a brick of .22 LR for the '69...no point letting it sit around :)

The shop you are referring to has been closed for a while now....

Might have taken you up on that last year! :lol2:
    If it wasn't my first car I'd have sold it long ago. It isn't perfect but it is pretty clean and is a convertible. Was painted about 10 years ago and has been in a garage ever since. I turned down some rediculous #'s back before the house market imploded. Still don't regret it....we'll maybe a little.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Two places to talk to in Mount Airy are York Automotive and Total Performance. Ed and Teddy York build race cars and always work on them for other people. Total Performance advertises itself on Mustang forums for the type of tuning work you want done.

Sweet!!! Will give them a try. There is a place in Mt Airy that does radiator welding and repair. I have an overflow tank I need cut and re-welded to fit a 351W manifold. Hoping they can do it for me.

Unfortunately with the wife being sick I have had to put this build on hold for a year or two. Hoping this spring I can get a lot of it done.

Dave

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Great thanks. I think I can handle the Mustang repair no problem but need help mating the engine and tranny for the cobra and getting it into the car. Also need help measuring the drive shaft.

Just call A-1 Driveshaft (Fort Ave. Baltimore), they will tell you exactly what you need to do and can build you any driveshaft you need, i'd be willing to bet that's where anyone local would get one made anyway

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Might have taken you up on that last year! :lol2:
    If it wasn't my first car I'd have sold it long ago. It isn't perfect but it is pretty clean and is a convertible. Was painted about 10 years ago and has been in a garage ever since. I turned down some rediculous #'s back before the house market imploded. Still don't regret it....we'll maybe a little.

A '69 convertible is still worth ridiculous money....maybe not quite as much as 5-6 years ago...but prices are coming back up.......of course if it was your first car I can understand keeping it.....wish I had kept mine..............

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I am partial to the '68 Camaro model year. Like the look and not big on the simulated vents of a '69 or the 1/4 window on the '67.

Hoping to one day get a '68 RS/SS to go with my '66 Mustang Convertible

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom