• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Looks like an overcharged round to me with that primer blown out and the case still stuck in the chamber. It also looks like the barrel bushing and muzzle area have seen some heat unless that's just a large accumulation of carbon build up.

For all the talk about alloy frames the frame had nothing to do with it. It actually looks like it held up pretty well all things considered.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    :shocking:

Damn..., that'll ruin your range day.
    I got to agree, the frame looks like it took that catastrophic failure pretty well, but don't know if I'd be too trusting to shoot it unless it was magnafluxed or something.
    That's interesting, one stuck in the chamber and the other in the magwell, hth, double-charge possibly??

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    :shocking:

Damn..., that'll ruin your range day.
    I got to agree, the frame looks like it took that catastrophic failure pretty well, but don't know if I'd be too trusting to shoot it unless it was magnafluxed or something.
    That's interesting, one stuck in the chamber and the other in the magwell, hth, double-charge possibly??

Wonder how many rounds have been through this gun?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Lord Chad said it was 'a high usage' rig, willing to bet that the round counts in the thousands easily.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    The gun seems filthy. 99% of the probelms I see during matches seem to be related to dirty guns. I always tell people that a clean gun is a happy gun. If you detremine that this is a gun related problem, I would wonder if lack of cleaning and safety function checks contributed to the problem. The hole in the frame for the disconnector is clogged up badly. Was the sear spring adjusted properly? Is the disconnector still in spec?

At what point after heavy use do you just say it's operator error for not having the gun checked out?

The primer pocket looks very dirty as well. Can firing out of battery make the primer come out like that?

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Wait, I'm confused. Are there two blown out cases in those pics? It looks like one's stuck in the barrel, the other in the mag well. Am I seeing that right?

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Wait, I'm confused. Are there two blown out cases in those pics? It looks like one's stuck in the barrel, the other in the mag well. Am I seeing that right?

When I saw that I thought the same thing. I think I know a little more what happened now after looking at the pictues again.

The 2nd piece of metal that looks like a blown case is actually the primer cup that came out of the case. I can clearly see that the primer cup is fully punctured by the firing pin indicating that there may be a problem with the firing pin, an overpressure round, or the primer cup was weak.

1 PM Revision - Leaving this here for history, but I retract the above since the case I thought was a primer seems to be a 2nd case as pictured in the 1st picture.

I'm still confused. <----- This is still correct :popcorn:

Last edited:

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    The gun seems filthy. 99% of the probelms I see during matches seem to be related to dirty guns. I always tell people that a clean gun is a happy gun. If you detremine that this is a gun related problem, I would wonder if lack of cleaning and safety function checks contributed to the problem. The hole in the frame for the disconnector is clogged up badly. Was the sear spring adjusted properly? Is the disconnector still in spec?

At what point after heavy use do you just say it's operator error for not having the gun checked out?

The primer pocket looks very dirty as well. Can firing out of battery make the primer come out like that?
    Some guns yes, some no right? Isn't glock's claim to fame a gun that shoots in any condition?
    For example, My Springfield 1911 doesn't like un-jacketed rounds. The lead fouling seemed to gum up the action. With FMJ, the gun runs flawlessly.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Some guns yes, some no right? Isn't glock's claim to fame a gun that shoots in any condition?
    For example, My Springfield 1911 doesn't like un-jacketed rounds. The lead fouling seemed to gum up the action. With FMJ, the gun runs flawlessly.

Glocks are magic guns. Have you shot unjacketed rounds thru you Glock barrel yet? ;)

90% of the ammo I shoot thru my 1911 is unjacketed and it functions perfectly. I clean and function check all my guns reguraly, but sometimes I break them during cleanings.:o I just broke Model 41 recently during a cleaning that Chad helped me with. :lol2:

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Ok so 3 pages of alloy frame hate and then the pictures show no actual frame damage (that I can see in the pictures at least). But the stainless slide is blown to shit. So how would a steel frame made any difference in this case?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    When I saw that I thought the same thing. I think I know a little more what happened now after looking at the pictues again.

The 2nd piece of metal that looks like a blown case is actually the primer cup that came out of the case. I can clearly see that the primer cup is fully punctured by the firing pin indicating that there may be a problem with the firing pin, an overpressure round, or the primer cup was weak.

I'm still confused.

My money is on case seperation.

The first shell case broke and extracted, the next live round was chambered, then BLAMO.

Happens all the time with BLAZER aluminum cased ammo, I don't see it too often with brass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom