• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Up_in_BoCo

Dedicated plinker
    Oct 22, 2014
    HZ
    I had not heard of this. Glad I did, just bought two for the 17.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Dec 17th 4pm. Stadium seating.
    Taking 15 yr old son. US history buff. Dinner after.
    Best Christmas present for me.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Got my ticket for the Columbia Mall showing at 4pm on the 17th.

This fits right in with our family trip last Spring to the French/Belgian WW1 battlefields and cemeteries. The trip of a lifetime.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    My grandfather (Lancashire Guards) and his brother (Irish Guards) fought in WWI. My grandfather's brother died at the Battle of the Somme.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    I will see it at some point but find WW1 so stinking depressing. The War that destroyed the world for no good reason, destroyed one social order and set the stage for the Communists, Nazis and WW2.

Now let's all charge into machine guns and mustard gas to gain one trench line...temporarily.

It is just brutal.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Taking 14yo son on the 17th in DE, thanks for this thread!

Saw some clips of this recently and showed it to the kids they were wowed.

Additionally on Armistice day this year watched a 4 part documentary on WWI with the 16, 14 and 10yo's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvvE0fvned0&list=PL7imSoPkNITVhTn_8clAbAo0ROf6rCf7Q

Realized just how little I knew about WWI

Good link, seen bits and pieces of that on tv but never the whole thing, definitely gonna watch it.

WW1 and its results still has a huge impact on the world today and I find the history of it really interesting. Seems like in school all the focus is put on WW2 which is important but the setup for all that happened from WW1 and it gets kinda glossed over

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I will see it at some point but find WW1 so stinking depressing. The War that destroyed the world for no good reason, destroyed one social order and set the stage for the Communists, Nazis and WW2.

Now let's all charge into machine guns and mustard gas to gain one trench line...temporarily.

It is just brutal.

I find war in general stinking depressing. I'm a history buff, and in particular, a military buff, and so I'm going to have to check this one out...

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Pops and I will be going the Hard Times in Rockville for quick bite then to the 7:00 showing at the Rockville theater. Been a family member working there and in the old Bethesda one since the early 80's. I worked there mid 80's. 86-88. My other brothers and my daughter.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You can watch it here in full if you can't make it to the theaters.

Edited, looks like they pulled it.

I watched it last night. I'm still going to the thrsates on the 27th.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Saw the 4pm show at Columbia. In a few words: excellent, heart breaking, very personal, ghastly at times, funny at times. No tactics, no grand strategies, just a focus on personal experiences.

All of the movie audio is actual recordings of WW1 vets telling their stories to the Imperial War Museum back in the '50s - '70s.

Be sure to stay for a 30-minute after-show narrated by Peter Jackson detailing how they did it, especially the sound effects of the cannon fire.

BTW, lots of Lewis guns :-)

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Saw it this afternoon. Stunning in its recounting of experiences by those who were there in very matter-of-fact voices and terminology. No hyper-drama or "look-at-me" histrionics.

The saddest part was the recounting of the treatment of the soldiers after they returned home. It kind of put our treatment of returning Vietnam vets in a different light.

You'll be glad you took the time to see this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom