• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I came across a large herd of elk this evening. Unfortunately I didn't realize my camera was still in manual focus from shooting the milky way last night so a lot of my zoomed in shots didn't turn out but the ones where I pulled back, and the ones from my phone, did.

I got to hear them bugle several times when I was snapping photos. I love hearing that sound. There's nothing like it outdoors.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    so now that i've come and gone from colo, they all come out, huh?? and yeah, i wanna buy the house in your first pic!!

but seriously, very nice, so cool to see that. i'm planning on going back out there again next fall with hopefully better luck.

can't believe the bugling, thought that was long gone, before first rifle, guess not.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    so now that i've come and gone from colo, they all come out, huh?? and yeah, i wanna buy the house in your first pic!!

but seriously, very nice, so cool to see that. i'm planning on going back out there again next fall with hopefully better luck.

can't believe the bugling, thought that was long gone, before first rifle, guess not.

I was surprised to hear the bugling. I almost think they were doing it as a warning. They were in the field and I was on the road at the top of a hill above them. Every time I got too close a big male would stop and look up at me and then they would move a little further away. The bugling was mostly when I was first approaching them.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I came across a large herd of elk this evening. Unfortunately I didn't realize my camera was still in manual focus from shooting the milky way last night so a lot of my zoomed in shots didn't turn out but the ones where I pulled back, and the ones from my phone, did.

I got to hear them bugle several times when I was snapping photos. I love hearing that sound. There's nothing like it outdoors.
    hunting season is over there...I assume ;)

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Looks like almost any day in Estes Park.

Now finding moose has been much more fun and seems to be getting easier every year. Long Draw Reservoir on the backside of RMNP is like the moose super highway in Colorado.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    When I was in Rapid City South Dakota last year the police were shooting whitetail deer at night to thin out the herd. I couldn't believe that they weren't taking advantage of that and being more lenient with deer permits.

I saw a nice mule deer buck on the side of I-90 just watching traffic go by right outside of town as I drove back.

Wish I could hunt up there inexpensively.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    When I was in Rapid City South Dakota last year the police were shooting whitetail deer at night to thin out the herd. I couldn't believe that they weren't taking advantage of that and being more lenient with deer permits.

I saw a nice mule deer buck on the side of I-90 just watching traffic go by right outside of town as I drove back.

Wish I could hunt up there inexpensively.

I never hit a deer on the east coast, I've hit two muleys in Colorado so far and I think Maryland's white tail population is higher than Colorado's mule deer population. I think the mule deer are less skittish in general. White tail that are used to humans are fairly tame, but I've seen cyclists bump into mule deer on the road. They just don't GAF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom