• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ive lost track of where the law stands on this but what are the laws for having pre 1898 cartridge handguns and rifles shipped? Can these still go direct to your door? Eyeballing a few things as I get more into antique weaponry.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Excerpt:

§4–201.
    (a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
    (b) “Antique firearm” means:
    (1) a firearm, including a firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar ignition system, manufactured before 1899; or
    (2) a replica of a firearm described in item (1) of this subsection that:
    (i) is not designed or redesigned to use rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or
    (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

The way I read it is, ALL firearms, antique or replica, regardless of date of manufacture, that use a cartridge, either rimfire or centerfire does not come under the definition of antique (matchlock, flintlock, percussion) and must be transferred through a FFL dealer.

I am not a lawyer and, others may read it differently.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=4-201&ext=html&session=2017RS&tab=subject5

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not quite. Actual pre 1899 by date of mfg firearms ARE Antiques , regardless of the cal . Replica that use a ctg ' readily available in commerce " are treated as modern firearms . What with the interest in CAS , most cals of centerfire are available from specialty sources . Off the top of my head , the only replica I can think of without available ctgs was a few Henry replicas were offered in .44 Rimfire .

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I didn’t say they weren’t antiques, the .44 rimfire as well as .30, .32 and .38 rimfire ammo are not readily available through commercial sales, as the law states.

So, you might find someone willing to send you an antique firearm in one of those configurations directly to you. But you cannot get an antique firearm shipped to you directly that uses rimfire .22 cal or centerfire ammo that can be commercial bought.

Last edited:

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I didn’t say they weren’t antiques, the .44 rimfire as well as .30, .32 and .38 rimfire ammo are not readily available through commercial sales, as the law states.

So, you might find someone willing to send you an antique firearm in one of those configurations directly to you. But you cannot get an antique firearm shipped to you directly that uses rimfire .22 cal or centerfire ammo that can be commercial bought.

Your interpretation is wrong. You need to pay attention to the paragraphing of the law.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    It's amazing and disappointingly amusing to me how such simple things almost always get lawyered out of all proportion on this forum. It's a common ego weirdness thing everywhere but it's REALLY prevalent on this forum.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    It's amazing and disappointingly amusing to me how such simple things almost always get lawyered out of all proportion on this forum. It's a common ego weirdness thing everywhere but it's REALLY prevalent on this forum.

Well, the OP did ask a question pertaining to a specific law...

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    To the OP, yes if it was made before 1898, regardless of caliber/ammo availablity it’s Go to go shipped to your door.
    This idea that if the ammo is available than it’s not an antique comes up a lot on shooting forums.

Only reproduction firearms that use common ammo, are not considered an antique.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    To the OP, yes if it was made before 1898, regardless of caliber/ammo availablity it’s Go to go shipped to your door.
    This idea that if the ammo is available than it’s not an antique comes up a lot on shooting forums.

Only reproduction firearms that use common ammo, are not considered an antique.

Thanks that's consistent with my understanding. Certainly a reproduction is not an Antique!

Looking at some Finn Mosins on antique recievers since I sold mine a few years back (palm slap) as well as some very early Winchesters.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Also, if the receiver is a cartridge firing pre 1899 antique, it is still an antique even after a chambering change.

For example 1895 Chilean Mausers originally 7mm were changed to .308 and still sold without any 4473.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Your interpretation is wrong. You need to pay attention to the paragraphing of the law.

Correct. i and ii pertain to (2). Very straightforward if read properly. (1) states what's needed to know about antique guns

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Yeah, because Maryland firearms laws are so straight forward and easy to parse...

And it this case they could have simply used the Federal definition of "Antiques" but they couldn't do that, oh no, because theirs is so much better and straight forward that it requires no parsing at all!

:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom