• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    Yes, I know 40 cal is ghey. Why is most of the FMJ .40S&W ammo I see come in flat nose configuration? Why isn't it rounded like most 9mm FMJ? I thought flatnose ammo was really a design feature for tube magazines.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    It's all flat nose so our Hi Point 4095 carbines will run it flawlessly. :D

Attachments

• HP4095 Snip.jpg
      HP4095 Snip.jpg
      25.5 KB · Views: 1,787
    • HP4095 30 yds 03_27_10.jpg
      HP4095 30 yds 03_27_10.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 1,709
    Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Omega21 said:
    Why isn't it rounded like most 9mm FMJ? I thought flatnose ammo was really a design feature for tube magazines.

Yes, a "flat nose" meplat design is safest for use in a tube magazine, but it also has less tendency to over-penetrate and more shock power than a round nose design, and it adds slightly to the bullet weight.

mikec said:
    Maybe to make the over all length shorter?

This is a semi-auto cartridge; if it was round-nosed, it would be the same length.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yes, I know 40 cal is ghey. Why is most of the FMJ .40S&W ammo I see come in flat nose configuration? Why isn't it rounded like most 9mm FMJ? I thought flatnose ammo was really a design feature for tube magazines.

The 40 Short & Wimpy is flat-nose for one simple reason, and that is because it is SO GHEY that it has taken all logic regarding projectile design and dismissed it as inconvenient. :D :lol2:

Actually that is a question I'd like to have some light shed on if I'm honest, cause I don't have a clue.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I "heard" that it was to help distinguish 9mm from .40 at a glance. No idea if that's actually the reason, or even part of it, but it makes some sense.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The 40 Short & Wimpy is flat-nose for one simple reason, and that is because it is SO GHEY that it has taken all logic regarding projectile design and dismissed it as inconvenient. :D :lol2:

Actually that is a question I'd like to have some light shed on if I'm honest, cause I don't have a clue.

Listen piston puffer, you have no right to call anything ghey

Im sleep happy with my glock 22....in .40 i trust. Lol

Good question, have been curious myself.

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Why 40 S&W has a flat nose

Hi,
    Geat question! I've read that the reason why the 40 S&W is flat-nosed is to keep its over all length in the same neighborhood as the 9mm para (9X19). A round-nosed 40 S&W would be significantly longer than a 9mm, and require a mag with a front to rear length greater than would fit in a 9mm frame. Accordingly, by making 40 S&W flat-nosed, existing 9mm frame designs can be produced to handle this new cartridge without a lot of redesign and new tooling cost. This is why Sig, Glock and others use the same size frames for both calibers.
    Regards,
    John

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    someone once told me they were flat nosed so that they'd feed more reliably in semi-auto pistols.

or perhaps the guy who came up with the .40 round like semi-wadcutters?

or maybe the inventor wanted to win bar bets - "hey, i bet I can balance a bullet on it's nose!"

I'm gonna go with "to keep the OAL down," though. it seems the most logical

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    The rumors abound!

I had heard that the .40's were designed around the use of hollow point ammo. The flatnose bullets mimic the profile of HP's and assist with the function of pistols that were optimized to feed hollow points.

Again, just a rumor.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I "heard" that it was to help distinguish 9mm from .40 at a glance. No idea if that's actually the reason, or even part of it, but it makes some sense.

Can't be this because I have bought 9mm that is similary shaped, and does not run well in my AR carbine even though the hollow points I have tried do. In fact, I gave about 450 rounds away because of this.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    All of the .40 S&W bullets were originally designed for the 10mm. The .40 did not just pop up out of the ground, it's based on a slightly older, longer cartridge. Every 10mm FMJ cartridge I've seen before the S&W came out had a nice, big meplat. I've never reloaded a round in 10mm or .40 that wouldn't feed through a stock autoloader. This includes SWCs and JHPs. Can you say that about the 9mm or .45 ACP? Nope.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Apparently I'm the only one who can see post #5. I'll reiterate:

Originally Posted by Omega21
    Why isn't it rounded like most 9mm FMJ? I thought flatnose ammo was really a design feature for tube magazines.

Yes, a "flat nose" meplat design is safest for use in a tube magazine, but it also has less tendency to over-penetrate and more shock power than a round nose design, and it adds slightly to the bullet weight.

Originally Posted by mikec
    Maybe to make the over all length shorter?

This is a semi-auto cartridge; if it was round-nosed, it would be the same length.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    GNLaFrance's posts do make the most sense, I just couldn't resist having a little fun myself. Thanks for shedding some light on that GN. :thumbsup:

04RWon - I can't be called a piston puffer right now, that upper is no longer in my possesion, so... :rasp:

:lol2:

mopar - nicely played sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom