• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    just an aside, I've discovered you can shoot mild steel jacketed ammo with just the barest hint of copper washing through polygonal barrels without ever appreciably affecting the rifling.

I know EVENTUALLY it will take it's toll, but I had a whole bunch of soviet surplus that had a copper washed surface that was seriously less thick that on some .22LR over mild steel jackets. With a little abrasion from a fingernail you could rub most of it off, leaving just a steel jacket, which common sense says will destroy a barrel.

So I at first decided not to use it, for the reasons above, as well as the fact that I had no idea if it was corrosive or not since I didn't have the original boxes it came in, having bought it second hand from am acquaintance.

However, eventually I relented and any time I wanted to shoot but didn't want to spend money or dip into my stash I'd just take a couple hundred rounds in a ziplock bag to the range along with my most beat-to crap cz-82 and shoot until I had had my fill.

So after literally the entire .50 cal ammo can was exhausted, shot exclusively through that one CZ-82, and after having shot thousands of rounds before that myself personally through the gun, as well as however many rounds it had seen in it's service life- the bore is still in great shape. The way the CZ rifling is it's impossible to see it in the bore, so when checking the leade it was frustrating to not be able to see if it was eroding anything. However, slugging the bore revealed the barrel to be slightly on the larger side but still well within spec, and a cartridge placed into the muzzle of the gun can not be forced into the bore, letting me know it is in spec. I tried to make a wax casting of the inside of the chamber and bore, so I could get calipers on it all the way down the bore, but I could not remove the wax without breaking it into three pieces, and while the calipers SEEM to confirm that the bore is consistent after the leade I am unsatisfied with the results.

The most important test, however, is accuracy, and in that this particular CZ-82 shines. I can routinely keep 10 shots inside of the '9' ring on paper targets at 20-25 yards, and it seems that even the recoil spring still has some life in it.

I know that CZ-82 are built to shoot those sintered iron bullets the czechs use, but those can't be THAT much worse for your bore than steel jacketed fare, right? Anyways, I'm pretty sure that this means that polygonal barrels are much better suited to steel jackets than other barrels.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Gamblers in the market of a SKS with a broken stock may want to consider Century's "Poor Incomplete U-Fix-Em". For $160 (plus shipping) and a $22 Clearview Investments replacement stock they can be a bargain if you get lucky and all the parts are there. Pretty much all of them have broken/cracked stocks. Some are rusty, but most seem to be complete. I bought two hedging my bet. As delivered:
    t560092.jpg

With the new furniture and cleaned up:
    t560112.jpg

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Gamblers in the market of a SKS with a broken stock may want to consider Century's "Poor Incomplete U-Fix-Em". For $160 (plus shipping) and a $22 Clearview Investments replacement stock they can be a bargain if you get lucky and all the parts are there. Pretty much all of them have broken/cracked stocks. Some are rusty, but most seem to be complete. I bought two hedging my bet. As delivered:
    t560092.jpg

With the new furniture and cleaned up:
    t560112.jpg

That is a good deal. I saw the ad and remember someone telling me a while back if the bolt is MIA you need gauges to get the headspace right. I would definitely buy a couple of I knew they at least came with the bolt and carrier.

They also have the Yugo's SKS's as U Fix Em's too. $219/ea and same conditions of sale apply.

Is there any other parts that would be problematic for these?

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Is there any other parts that would be problematic for these?

A bad or missing gas tube is $50. One of mine is missing the cleaning rod, a common finding. The cost of any missing parts add up quickly. The SKS board talks of one with a bent barrel, so that one is junk. Parting out a dud on EBay it is probably worth more the the $160 cost. Although selling it piecemeal is more then 160 worth of aggravation.

Like Clint once asked, "Do you feel lucky?"

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    A bad or missing gas tube is $50. One of mine is missing the cleaning rod, a common finding. The cost of any missing parts add up quickly. The SKS board talks of one with a bent barrel, so that one is junk. Parting out a dud on EBay it is probably worth more the the $160 cost. Although selling it piecemeal is more then 160 worth of aggravation.

Like Clint once asked, "Do you feel lucky?"

Well...no. So I just emailed my sales guy there to see if he could hook me up with the main components. If so I may spin the Wheel of Fortune. :)

Malblast

Apr 15, 2012
    I was thinking of getting a u fix um, but 4 months and 6 times sending my ffl and century has no record of them getting it.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    I was thinking of getting a u fix um, but 4 months and 6 times sending my ffl and century has no record of them getting it.

Had the same problem. Sent it to them 4x over almost 3.5 months. But they mentioned they were switching to a new computer system and all old stuff was lost. They never answered any of my emails. But I must say once it was all straightened out the service has been good.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    I have, called them once a week for two months, I will try resending it again

Yes, I didn't mention that but I had to call three days in a row. I suspect they got tired of my calling so the last person I spoke too put me on hold, tracked down my 03, entered it and gave me my log in stuff right then.

I guess they are real busy folks.

You can ask for Josh; he is my sales guy. He is very nice and was helpful changing an order for me after it was placed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom