• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smithrhjr

Feb 27, 2016
    Westminster
    Would you buy a Gen3 or Gen4. Both are about the same price. Some spring issues have been reported on the Gen4. Want to use mostly as range practice, but as Home Defense secondary.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    G4 Hands down, bought one recently myself, have a few GLOCK pistols, but after buying my first gen4(a G27) a couple years ago I won't buy any more G3s. The smaller grip with less of a hump on the backstrap fits me much better, points more like a 1911 and less "GLOCKy", better mag release, 3 mags, smoother recoil, can be a better trigger, better grip texture, 3 mags, pretty much better in every way. Mine has a few minor changes, but even out of the box it's well worth the difference in cost. So far about 1K rounds through it, everything from cheap light bulk ammo and reloads to full power 147+p, never has hiccupped once. My dad has a 19G2, and I've shot a few 19G3s, the G4 recoil is noticeably smoother and feels more rigid, especially compared to the early G2

20160127_151425.jpg

Last edited:

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I have pair of Gen 3s. Although I still read of the occasional issue of new Gen 4s throwing brass to the shooter's face (as was common when they first came out), this seems to have mostly been worked out. I've shot Gen 4s and do like them, I'm just not about to dump my Gen 3s that have been all but flawless through thousands of rounds. General consensus among some very good shooters I know is the Gen 4s tend to be a smidgen more mechanically accurate, and there's nothing wrong with that!

If I was new to Glock and wanted a new one today, I'd probably go Gen 4.

Great choice on the 19, by the way:

https://civiliangunfighter.wordpres...pistol-against-which-all-others-are-measured/

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'd go for the ambidextrous Gen 4, so I can reverse the mag release to drop with my trigger finger instead of thumb, as I've done with my M&Ps.

But actually, I'd look at something other than a Glock, such as the VP9 or a Walther.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I prefer Gen 2 followed by Gen 3. I do own one Gen 4, it is not my favorite. In any event a G19 is IMO the best bang for the buck defensive pistol that money can buy.

GetzzBrah

Mar 3, 2016
    I have both and you can't go wrong with either one. Literally have not had one FTF or FTE in either one. Each has seen over 2000 rounds just in 2016. Go hold each and see which one feels better in your hand and just remember the Gen4 has the adjustability in the couple different back-straps

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I prefer Gen 2 followed by Gen 3. I do own one Gen 4, it is not my favorite. In any event a G19 is IMO the best bang for the buck defensive pistol that money can buy.

I concur. Gen 2 over either Gen 3 or 4...

And Coca-cola... (over Pepsi)

And AKs... (over ARs)

And .45... (over 9mm or .40)

And Redheads (over blondes)...

And Mary Ann (over Ginger)...

did I miss anything? :D

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    I'd go for the Gen4, since you get the extra back straps. It gives you more options to find the best fit for your hand or others that may go shooting with you. The good news is, there's no wrong decision:D

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Mine was an LE trade from Shooter's Discount. I sent the slide to Glock in Georgia to have night sights and new slide internal parts installed which they did for $67. I also got a PSA threaded barrel but I run the Glock barrel most of the time.

64AB3215-A307-4629-893D-B933142204E4_zpsacpgtpdn.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I concur. Gen 2 over either Gen 3 or 4...

And Coca-cola... (over Pepsi)

And AKs... (over ARs)

And .45... (over 9mm or .40)

And Redheads (over blondes)...

And Mary Ann (over Ginger)...

did I miss anything? :D

I take offense to that....Definitely Ginger over Maryann......and blondes over redheads. That is all.

stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    IMHO,

Mary Ann over Ginger (yeah ,me too, but there might be kids here. ;-)

G19, gen3, Thousand's of mags and drums out there once we get my soon to be home state's thumb out of it's butt.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Get whatever's available to you at the best price. I prefer smaller grips, so I lean towards Gen4s, but I personally own a Gen3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom