• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    I have avoided the HQL for so long be it anger or confusion or what have you. If I read the MSP site I dont need one? I had heard the dd214 had exempted one from training part of HQL (as being marksman in grenade and m16 magically qualified me with a hand gun). But I tried calling today and of course no answer.

If I read it right since I have a retired military ID, I need not have an HQL? I just wave the blue ID and I can purchase "restricted" rifles and handguns?

Figured I would get a quicker clarification here. Thanks

John56

Oct 5, 2015
    I am retired military and have purchased several handguns with just my military retired ID card. If you are not retired, you have to get an HQL with your DD214.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Yep...need that “retired” ID card to avoid the HQL. Just having served won’t do it.

Or active or reserve... the key is the card. Veteran who does not hold an ID card is exempt from training only, as John said.

OP, have your ID card in hand when you fill out the MD form. Under HQL you will click exempt, then reason for exemption is active/retired/reserve ID, then you have to enter the ID card number on the form.

Note that there are two numbers on the card, they want the DOD card number on the front, not the DOD benefits number on the back.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Or active or reserve... the key is the card. Veteran who does not hold an ID card is exempt from training only, as John said.

OP, have your ID card in hand when you fill out the MD form. Under HQL you will click exempt, then reason for exemption is active/retired/reserve ID, then you have to enter the ID card number on the form.

Note that there are two numbers on the card, they want the DOD card number on the front, not the DOD benefits number on the back.

Then I am good to go. Thanks! Funny thing is I hadnt noticed when I finally got my card replaced (had the previous card for over 20yrs) they had replaced the soc with a DOD number. I'm not memorizing that number!

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Don't know the details on that. Is that available to all vets, or only ID card holders?

What do you put on the form when it asks for the DOD ID card number?

You mean the thing that puts the word VETERAN on your DL?

I just had to show a DD214 when I renewed my license and they put in on there. I'm not retired. I did my 6 and separated. It was still enough for the VET endorsement on my DL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom