• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimboman2000

Jan 9, 2014
    Cecil!

Chewy.com sells fish antibiotics

https://www.chewy.com/b/health-well...MItvX1j8uR7AIVj8DICh3v3g0KEAAYASAAEgLHafD_BwE

The good doctor posted a link somewhere of recommended antibiotics to keep on hand for your fish in case you can't take them to the vet.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=169387

Some decent SHTF med discussion here too.

I second the book Norton recommended above. Might not hurt to also have a year or two old PDR...Physician's Desk Reference.

Thanks guys, great info there!

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    You guys who are buying 50lbs of flour how often are you using it? Isn’t it only good for a year? I maybe use 3 lbs a year.

A loaf of bread is about 3 to 3.5 cups of flour which is about 1 pound, so that would be 50 loves out of a 50 lb bag.

After the carona hit and the kids came home from college we were going through 3 loaves of bread a week, that was for 4 of us, but we are a mixed Asian race household and there is always a pot full of rice in a cooker......and with the other baking going on I would think we were going though at the max 5 lbs a week. We made no-kneed bread which only takes 1/4 tsp of yeast, which is a lot less than normal, yeast was harder to get than flour.

We put it in the freezer for a couple of weeks to kill any pest and then move to the pantry...........

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=169387

Some decent SHTF med discussion here too.

I second the book Norton recommended above. Might not hurt to also have a year or two old PDR...Physician's Desk Reference.

The doc's post from that thread
    Good question. Procurement is the biggest problem for most folks. Sometimes you can find a prepper friendly doctor. May be tough, but doesn't hurt to ask. Veterinary supply shops should be a good source.

I keep a few antibiotics around for SHTF. You need a few to over the majority of scenarios you could encounter. You also need some knowledge on what to treat. In normal times people love going to the doctor for "sinus infections" and "bronchitis". They get antibiotics and often complain they aren't strong enough and didn't work. They don't work because 90-98% of these infections are viral. Studies show that even the bacterial sinus infections get better with no antibiotics. You won't want to waste your precious resources on these. If people have just a cough, productive of ugly stuff with a fever it may be pneumonia. I imagine if SHTF this will become much more common. That is worth treating. Skin infections are likely to be the most common thing encountered.

Doxycycline - This is a good all-around antibiotic. Great for SHTF because it treats respiratory infections, skin infections (including most strains of MRSA) and tick borne diseases like Lyme. Bad because unlike many antibiotics, it actually has a shelf life. I wouldn't use this more than 3 years beyond factory expiration date. Probably 5 years beyond expiration noted on the bottle. One twice a day for 10 days. Even though the recommendations for Lyme say treat for 21 days, 10 is sufficient.

Ciprofloxacin/levofloxacin/moxifloxacin - cousins, but levofloxacin and moxifloxacin cover more. Good for pneumonia, urinary tract infections, intra-abdominal infections (diverticulitis), bacterial diarrhea, and also treat anthrax, if that is an issue.

Bactrim (TMP/SMZ) - Another good "workhorse". If I could pick only one, this would be it. Treats skin infections (including most strains of MRSA), respiratory infections like pneumonia, intra-abdominal infections, urinary tract infections.

Metronidazole -Use in combination with Bactrim or any of the -floxacin antibiotics for penetrating abdominal wounds. Use by itself for parasitic infections like amebic dysentery.

Tamiflu - May be useful. I have it because I can, but probably the least important thing. If you have a group and the flu hits, quarantine those people who have it. If you have very young or very old folks, they may be worth treating. If I were in a SHTF scenario and I got the flu, I wouldn't take it for myself.

Shelf life on everything but doxycycline should be decades.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Picked up a dual-fuel Gas-One portable camp stove. This one includes the adapter hose that lets you use the green Coleman propane camp cylinders as well as the butane bottles. I added the additional propane-kit which includes an adapter to recharge the camp bottles from a 20lb grill tank, as well as an adapter hose to run directly off that 20lb grill tank.

Incidentally, your local H-Mart, G-Mart, and Lotte-Mart carry the butane fuel bottles in 4-pack bricks and 24-pack cases; they also usually have a selection of single-burner stoves, though they tend to be kinda lightweight. Amusingly, Walmart has the butane fuel cylinders in the camping section, but doesn't stock the camp stove that uses them.

I expect we will use this in the regular course of cooking, because our current domicile is electric-only for the cooktop (which sucks.) My wife and I have been eyeballing this purchase for a while - pulled the trigger with some stimulus bucks. The previous residence had a gas cooktop ... something we really miss.

Attachments

• 20201003_175229_camp-stove.jpg
      20201003_175229_camp-stove.jpg
      100.5 KB · Views: 380

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Took a class called Tactical Combat Casualty Course last weekend. Very informative. I also ordered a trauma kit from Amazon, but they seemed to have a problem with the package, so they cancelled the order :mad54: I'm ordering a bigger one when I get my refund.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yesterday I ordered a bunch of 5 gal and 1 gal mylar bags, o2 absorbers and 5 gal buckets (plus a couple of the lid opener tools). Going to try my hand at stashing dry goods.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Took a class called Tactical Combat Casualty Course last weekend. Very informative. I also ordered a trauma kit from Amazon, but they seemed to have a problem with the package, so they cancelled the order :mad54: I'm ordering a bigger one when I get my refund.

You’re much better off building your own. If you have a FSA, you can use that to buy the stuff. Personally, I would stay away from buying hemostatic agents. It’s way more expensive than plain gauze and studies show that with PROPER wound packing, plain gauze is just as effective. Just my 2 cents.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Picked up a dual-fuel Gas-One portable camp stove. This one includes the adapter hose that lets you use the green Coleman propane camp cylinders as well as the butane bottles. I added the additional propane-kit which includes an adapter to recharge the camp bottles from a 20lb grill tank, as well as an adapter hose to run directly off that 20lb grill tank.

Incidentally, your local H-Mart, G-Mart, and Lotte-Mart carry the butane fuel bottles in 4-pack bricks and 24-pack cases; they also usually have a selection of single-burner stoves, though they tend to be kinda lightweight. Amusingly, Walmart has the butane fuel cylinders in the camping section, but doesn't stock the camp stove that uses them.

I expect we will use this in the regular course of cooking, because our current domicile is electric-only for the cooktop (which sucks.) My wife and I have been eyeballing this purchase for a while - pulled the trigger with some stimulus bucks. The previous residence had a gas cooktop ... something we really miss.

Those butane cans do not work below 28F. That makes the propane conversion a lifesaver.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Those butane cans do not work below 28F. That makes the propane conversion a lifesaver.

The Gas-One 3900P has a heat-conductor plate that transfers some therms from the burner area to the fuel cylinder area. At least for this model, the manufacturer seems to be aware of that.

Regardless, my wife was keen to buy the propane adapters - "It's good to have options."

Attachments

• 41drIqYRYUL._AC_SY400_.jpg
      41drIqYRYUL._AC_SY400_.jpg
      23.9 KB · Views: 344

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    You’re much better off building your own. If you have a FSA, you can use that to buy the stuff. Personally, I would stay away from buying hemostatic agents. It’s way more expensive than plain gauze and studies show that with PROPER wound packing, plain gauze is just as effective. Just my 2 cents.

What is a FSA ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The Gas-One 3900P has a heat-conductor plate that transfers some therms from the burner area to the fuel cylinder area. At least for this model, the manufacturer seems to be aware of that.

Regardless, my wife was keen to buy the propane adapters - "It's good to have options."

That's good.
    I learned that bit of info the hard way. I ended up carrying a butane cylinder in my pants for an hour until it heated up enough for it to light.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Bought one of these today...tired of running cords through the house for the freezers/fridge.

My wife also asked me to make sure all my fuel cans are full before election day.....

Capture3.jpg

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    That's good.
    I learned that bit of info the hard way. I ended up carrying a butane cylinder in my pants for an hour until it heated up enough for it to light.

"Is that a butane cylinder in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?"

I've had to point the dual-fuel generator's exhaust at the propane bottle because the propane will "slush" in winter. Don't think I can fit a 20# bottle in my pants ...

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Stopped at a Cabelas here in Ohio and as expected there was not much to see. Did get 5 boxes of PPU M1 Garand .30-06 to have for inventory/trading stock.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

The kit showed up anyway, which is weird. I don't have an FSA with my current employer. I got this kit to get a base, and I'll be adding to it. I'll be getting a bigger bag since this thing is tiny.

On another note, I'm getting my eyes zapped. Glasses are a liability.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I put a down payment on deep well pump. Not with Bison, but with an Amish guy up the road. All Stainless steel. Good for 250' and fits right into the pitlass fitting, or i can mount it inline in the basement too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom