Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 22nd, 2019, 02:00 PM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMexicanBob View Post
I don't follow the National Matches but it's very common for match competitors to be sponsored by a manufacturer with highly tuned firearms...not all parts from that maker either. Apparently Colt doesn't play the game much...or they can't afford to as their precarious financial position demands.

Colt doesn't outsource their manufacturing of their core products either. They do use outside vendors who specialize in forging operations to supply the raw forgings for their products...(a little secret...most gunmakers do the same). There's little reason for a gunmaker to have a complete foundry operation and all the payroll and other costs incurred when they can hire a vendor who specializes is those processes. I know Ruger has its own foundry but they also have diversified into making castings for other products in other industries to help support it.

Colt (and others) do QC inspections to verify the forgings meet all specs and do the machining and finishing into the final product. None of that is a secret. The M16 and M4 contractors all are aware of the entire process and where all parts come from and the entire inspection process.

The Colt Competition line of AR-based rifles several years ago was licensed to Colt Competition...a different manufacturer. After the bottom fell out of the market after the 2016 election that company went under.

I've been to the S&W factory and about the only part of their polymer pistol lines they make themselves is the barrel...everything else comes from outside vendors. It's simply the way of manufacturing today.
I was informed that CMT does the receivers for Colt, to include machining operations.

Actually, very few competitors are sponsored in matches. Sponsors usually reserve sponsorship to top level competitors only. Colt is not in the game because they are not up to the demands of the competitors, if they were, they would have significant presence. Instead, other companies filled the need and profited from doing so.

Colt does outsource, many companies do and there is nothing wrong with that as long as consistent quality is maintained.

Ruger has it's own foundry and one of the reasons for it is that they specialize in the art of investment casting. It costs less to cast their M77 receivers than it would to machine them completely from bar stock. One of the advantages is the molecular orientation in the steel. Some may claim otherwise but, I have seen their M77 receivers stand up to things that would destroy another receiver.

Considering how long Colt has been in business, one would think that they should be in a position of dominance in the market. The long standing mismanagement by more than one group of executives, the chapter 11's, failure to replace worn machinery and loss of highly skilled craftsmen that they once had, have taken it's toll. I like the stuff Colt made back in the day, single actions, Pythons, etc.. The earlier ones were true gems. Sadly, quality, even for those, was in decline toward the end of their respective runs.
dist1646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 04:09 PM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dist1646 View Post
Considering how long Colt has been in business, one would think that they should be in a position of dominance in the market. The long standing mismanagement by more than one group of executives, the chapter 11's, failure to replace worn machinery and loss of highly skilled craftsmen that they once had, have taken it's toll. I like the stuff Colt made back in the day, single actions, Pythons, etc.. The earlier ones were true gems. Sadly, quality, even for those, was in decline toward the end of their respective runs.

No disagreement. Considering that Colt is the originator of the 1911 and purchased the patents from Armalite fairly early on, one would think that Colt would own those markets. While Colt has often had financial problems (many gun makers have...it's the kind of market they're in), in the 1950s they were purchased by a conglomerate...Penn-Texas...which was known for buying and bleeding companies dry. They changed the name to Colt Industries to capitalize on the Colt name and milked the company for M16 contracts and let the commercial side slide away...little innovation...starved the commercial side of modern machinery...let the law enforcement market get away from them. As long as the M16 kept the corporate ownership fat and happy it continued. Once the M16 market went away they sucked out what was left and left Colt's carcass on the side of the road for several new owners who were not gun people or tried to be politically correct and made things worse.

Colt still makes a good product...they do still have good people and some managers who care but the ownership is suspect to say the least. They've let the Single-Action Army product all but die away when they would again...own that market. Their new revolver lines are as good as any comparable product made but people still aren't sure whether they will still be there long term. To not have a .22LR handgun in the lineup is beyond stupid. The same goes for a .44 Magnum.

I'm hoping the future will bring new products out and help the company be successful...there's always room for competition and they can build a good product.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 07:22 PM #53

Quote:
Not what I said but, take it how you please. Using reverse logic, the only company that puts out a good product would be Colt. That simply isn't true. If it were, Colt would absolutely dominate the National Matches, they don't. Good luck finding one there, especially in the hands of the top competitors! As others have since stated, Colt doesn't even make their own , they subcontract it out. Now, they have decided to leave our civilians behind so they can fill contracts for FOREIGN countries. Colt has a history of abandoning civilians. They were not our friends in '94 and they are not now. They are most definitely not the company they once were.
I don't have any idea what you're talking about here. You're all over the place.
omegared24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 10:55 PM #54
AR15 Technical Instructor

Send a message via Skype™ to clandestine

So much misinformation in this thread.

I don't even care to correct it.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 12:50 AM #55

CMTTAC

Quote:
I was informed that CMT does the receivers for Colt, to include machining operations.

Actually, very few competitors are sponsored in matches. Sponsors usually reserve sponsorship to top level competitors only. Colt is not in the game because they are not up to the demands of the competitors, if they were, they would have significant presence. Instead, other companies filled the need and profited from doing so.

Colt does outsource, many companies do and there is nothing wrong with that as long as consistent quality is maintained.

Ruger has it's own foundry and one of the reasons for it is that they specialize in the art of investment casting. It costs less to cast their M77 receivers than it would to machine them completely from bar stock. One of the advantages is the molecular orientation in the steel. Some may claim otherwise but, I have seen their M77 receivers stand up to things that would destroy another receiver.

Another member here loves them. I have thought about purchasing one or more of their UHP Gen2 lowers. Watched their vids.
babalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 06:22 AM #56

If anyone wants to sell any Colt rifles/parts to me for cheap feel free to reach out. I'm happy to take them off your hands.

I'll even take donations.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 09:35 AM #57
Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegared24 View Post
If anyone wants to sell any Colt rifles/parts to me for cheap feel free to reach out. I'm happy to take them off your hands.

I'll even take donations.
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=m4a1

Here's one for you and it's Md legal too. Madness!!

If it's Czech and it's military, it's Cool!!
Combloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 09:57 AM #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combloc View Post
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=m4a1

Here's one for you and it's Md legal too. Madness!!
I know...I was hoping I'd get some anti-Colt people to just give it away.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 12:33 PM #59
Major Deplorable

Major Deplorable

most hilarious comment ive heard so far was from colion noir.

" Colt is selling wrangler jeans in a Gucci market, at ralph lauren prices".

HAHAHA

So true though imo
Old September 23rd, 2019, 01:34 PM #60

ETA. Not worth my time.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles