• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My wife and daughter gave me my father's day gift early, it's my new EDC effective tomorrow. I'm a lucky man.

Attachments

• spyderco 1.jpg
      spyderco 1.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 596
    • spyderco 2.jpg
      spyderco 2.jpg
      50.5 KB · Views: 578

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    -=BRS=- DaBrid Mutant

Today is the one year anniversary of the passing of a friend and fellow Bali-Bro

Here is the Custom Commemorative Blade some close friends made in His Memory ... I am still very humbled and happy to be the owner.

R.I.P Jerry Dabird

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    My wife and daughter gave me my father's day gift early, it's my new EDC effective tomorrow. I'm a lucky man.

I absolutely love that knife and I must say I am very impressed with your wife and daughter's knife selection skills. I really like what they did with the spine jimping and reinforcing the tip, as well as the improved ergos. The SS version has always been a favorite of mine, but it's so slippery when wet and heavy, plus it had only the ability to RH & tip down carry. They really took all of that into account and pushed the limits with the new G10 version, and I love their enhancements of the blade geometry and grind. I've always loved its super compact size for a large 4 inch blade...it seems there are very few knives with such a large blade that carries so easily. And your wife and daughter getting it in full SpyderEdge impresses me even more. ...the Police isn't quite the Police without it. I really like and them choosing it over the Gerber is excellent...nothing against the Gerber but the Police is all-around one of the best folders in production today! :)

akkiller

live free or die
    Jan 10, 2011
    walkersville
    Hear are my everyday carry knives that i rotate for time to time it's just another one of my collections (addictions obsessions)lol

Attachments

• 20130615_034304.jpg
      20130615_034304.jpg
      114.4 KB · Views: 532
    Last edited:

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Nice collection. I wish Benchmade still made the Skirmish and Mini Skirmish models...they did a hella job with the styling and functionality. I had one of the Blue Mini Skirmish LEs that was 007 of 250 and traded it...I really regret it :(

The Warrior is IMO one of the best SD fixed blades ever made. I've always wanted one. What Benchmade fixed blade is in the back left corner...is it a Nim or Presidio by chance?

Judging by your folders, I am going to guess that like me you are a big fan of the Reeve Integral Lock/framelocks. Any ZT folders for you in the future?

The Warrior is nice, but a little to heavy for a fighter. As I recall the story, Al Mar was not happy that the contractor switched to a cheaper, heavier steal in the manufacturing. Sypderco came out recently with a copy, but it is not the same in looks.

If you are talking about the knife in the same photo as the Warrior, that is a Randall-esque 2-8 dagger. No Randall Knives name on it, just the initials "DBT". The other 2 next to it are a Al Mar SERE 6 and a pre-production SERE 5.

Funny you should ask, I have been thinking of picking up a ZT 100, and/or 350.

akkiller

live free or die
    Jan 10, 2011
    walkersville
    This one is my first attempt at a home build still have a lot of work to do and some of my go to war blades.

Attachments

• 20130506_010755.jpg
      20130506_010755.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 575
    • 20130615_070935.jpg
      20130615_070935.jpg
      74.4 KB · Views: 565

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    The Warrior is nice, but a little to heavy for a fighter. As I recall the story, Al Mar was not happy that the contractor switched to a cheaper, heavier steal in the manufacturing. Sypderco came out recently with a copy, but it is not the same in looks.

If you are talking about the knife in the same photo as the Warrior, that is a Randall-esque 2-8 dagger. No Randall Knives name on it, just the initials "DBT". The other 2 next to it are a Al Mar SERE 6 and a pre-production SERE 5.

Funny you should ask, I have been thinking of picking up a ZT 100, and/or 350.

The Randall dagger is sweet. I've always liked the SERE's as well. They don't get mentioned much on knife forums and I never understood why.

I had a feeling you may have been considering a ZT given they make a lot of models that seem to fit the characteristics you look for in a blade...which is probably identical to what I look for in a blade. ZT's new knives really caught my eye...
    http://www.knife-depot.com/blog/zero-tolerance-unveils-new-knives-at-shot-show/

The 0561, 0566, and 0454 both have left me wanting one. I wanted a 0561 and a 0566 until I saw the 0454 which won Blade of the Year...
    http://westernshootingjournal.com/industrynews/2013-overall-knife-of-the-year-zt0454/

ZT's recent push of new knives pushing the limit of top-shelf folders has me delighted given they are giving every other maker a reason to go back to the R&D board. Their pushing of new steels, improved locks, better pivot and dry sump designs, new ergos, and new handle materials makes me almost giddy.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    What do yo usually EDC? Both of your ZTs are among the finest of folding knives ever made IMO, so it must be hard when debating between the two of them, let alone with the rest of the selection?

Thanks, kinda like a chick with shoes, I carry whatever seems to fit me for the day. Trying out the Manix XL now, but have been carrying the 561 mostly, it just works, and has turned me into an Elmax and KVT fan. ZT IMO has probably the most knife for the money out there now, famous designers, more high end carry models, lots of limited editions, top materials, and great warranty. $200 for a folder seems like a lot, but in many cases they are twice as good as a $100 knife, and can hang with some semi-customs around $1000. I still would love a 0777, or the upcoming 801CF, the 454 is almost awesome, I hate D2, and the angular composite blade is at odds with the smooth flowing handle IMO.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks, kinda like a chick with shoes, I carry whatever seems to fit me for the day. Trying out the Manix XL now, but have been carrying the 561 mostly, it just works, and has turned me into an Elmax and KVT fan. ZT IMO has probably the most knife for the money out there now, famous designers, more high end carry models, lots of limited editions, top materials, and great warranty. $200 for a folder seems like a lot, but in many cases they are twice as good as a $100 knife, and can hang with some semi-customs around $1000. I still would love a 0777, or the upcoming 801CF, the 454 is almost awesome, I hate D2, and the angular composite blade is at odds with the smooth flowing handle IMO.

I've been on a waiting list for the 0777 for months. I really want a 561, but I want the 0777 even more. ZT taking the 'Overall Knife of The Year' with the 0777 in 2012 and the 0454 in 2013 really excites me because they have essentially turned the market upside down. I am a huge Chris Reeve fan and my larger EDC folder the Umnumzaan is a favorite, but ZT coming into the picture and upping the bar is just great, and the past few years of frequent updates to steels, locks, handles, and pivots continues to redefine the industry of $200-$400 extreme-usage folders. As much as I love the 0301, the weight was not something I am fond of and the new ZT folders have really expanded on offering lighter weight folders without a compromise to performance. Even Mr. Reeve himself has commented on the impressive quality and durability of ZT's folders.

I own some customs and I've owned quite a few over the past decade. I would often asess them against my Sebenzas, Umnumzaan, and ZT0301. I am yet to see one capable of hanging with them in terms of the ability to withstand extreme usage and abuse. And other than the Umnumzaan and 0301, there aren't many other folders I have which I feel comfortable using in a fashion that puts such force against the lock that a lock failure would mean losing every finger on my right hand. I've had some really nice and gorgeous customs, but if someone wants a knife essentially designed to be abused, I believe ZT is where it's at.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The 0301 IS impressive, and is one of my two favorites. But for abuse, the Benchmade Adamas might match it. This video made a believer out of me. Even though it got damaged, it didn't fail.

http://youtu.be/LWz_JLXgIL0

U ever handle one? I thought my benchmade bone collector was a thick and heavy knife to carry for its size until I picked up an adamas. The thing feels like it's a mile thick and made of lead. It's tough for sure, but not sure I'd like one as an edc. You could probably carry a knife of normal size AND a small fixed blade for serious work easier than carrying that brick of a knife.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    U ever handle one? I thought my benchmade bone collector was a thick and heavy knife to carry for its size until I picked up an adamas. The thing feels like it's a mile thick and made of lead. It's tough for sure, but not sure I'd like one as an edc. You could probably carry a knife of normal size AND a small fixed blade for serious work easier than carrying that brick of a knife.

They are neat, and for the price it's not bad, but more of a knife for a belt pouch than in a pocket on a clip. I have looked at them, might still pick one up next time work starts handing out Amazon cards. It's probably the only somewhat practical folder in the same league as the ZT300, both are overbuilt, large and heavy, but from handling them the 300 is way more comfortable, more rounded and compact, better steel, and the AO flipper is great on it. On paper the Axis is stronger than a Ti framelock, but I'm not sure to what degree, and outside of trying to make it fail ala spinewhacking both would hold up to most anything. The fixed blade 375 is pretty cool for the most part too, but I can't stand scale-less knives or cord wrapped. They hold goo and dirt in the wrap, and can be uncomfortable with the narrow handle edges, without wrap they are hot, cold, look like crap, and are uncomfortable. Slap a pair of G10 scales on it, and I would buy one. In either case I use my knives, but take care of them, and realistically anything more than a 3" spyderco is more than I really "Need" on a daily basis, but there is little to do with "need" when it comes to the knives we enjoy most.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've been on a waiting list for the 0777 for months. I really want a 561, but I want the 0777 even more. ZT taking the 'Overall Knife of The Year' with the 0777 in 2012 and the 0454 in 2013 really excites me because they have essentially turned the market upside down. I am a huge Chris Reeve fan and my larger EDC folder the Umnumzaan is a favorite, but ZT coming into the picture and upping the bar is just great, and the past few years of frequent updates to steels, locks, handles, and pivots continues to redefine the industry of $200-$400 extreme-usage folders. As much as I love the 0301, the weight was not something I am fond of and the new ZT folders have really expanded on offering lighter weight folders without a compromise to performance. Even Mr. Reeve himself has commented on the impressive quality and durability of ZT's folders.

I own some customs and I've owned quite a few over the past decade. I would often asess them against my Sebenzas, Umnumzaan, and ZT0301. I am yet to see one capable of hanging with them in terms of the ability to withstand extreme usage and abuse. And other than the Umnumzaan and 0301, there aren't many other folders I have which I feel comfortable using in a fashion that puts such force against the lock that a lock failure would mean losing every finger on my right hand. I've had some really nice and gorgeous customs, but if someone wants a knife essentially designed to be abused, I believe ZT is where it's at.

It seems ZT's success is growing quickly, their base of heavy, big hard use folders made them a player, but they are turning into a hall of fame of sorts for blasdesmiths, many are lighter, smaller and affordable EDC designs. Seems everyone wants a ZT production version of their designs that is usually a fraction of the cost, and in many cases actually have improvements in materials and features. I have handled the ZT561 next to an XM18, and if you asked anyone other than a knife junky which one was a $200 production knife, and which has a waiting list new, and can go for nearly a grand NIB on the resale market, 99% of people would get it wrong. The limited edition ZT models are the stuff of legend, top designers and materials, award winning, but sold through most dealers for under $500 when you can find one.

Honestly, I have tried to wrap my head around CRK blades, handled a couple, and they seem like well made "classic" gentleman folders, smooth/comfortable, thin edges, decent materials, small gaps, simple Ti integral lock, and for maybe $200 I would consider one, but not the $400-$600 the base models go for. I just couldn't bring myself to spend twice as much as a ZT300 or ZT561 go for, or 3 times a spydie Sage 2 or Gayle Bradley on a big sebenza or Umnumzaan, then actually use it. To each their own though, they obviously have a decent following, and they sell quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom