• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You don't need to clean the gas tube.

With corrosive primers????

Even stainless with corrode with hot salts blasted into it.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Corrosive is honestly no big deal. First, most of your AR is aluminum anyways.

I'm mostly talking handguns.

If they're got removable barrels, then cleaning them is pretty straightforward. My only question there is whether modern cleaners like CLP will dissolve corrosive compounds, or whether I'd have to resort to hot water like with black powder.

Otherwise, both with straight-blowback guns and otherwise, how much would I have to worry about the fire control group inside the frame? I don't do much cleaning there, other than the slide rails and whatever I can reach -- would I need to really get in there with corrosive primers?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm mostly talking handguns.

If they're got removable barrels, then cleaning them is pretty straightforward. My only question there is whether modern cleaners like CLP will dissolve corrosive compounds, or whether I'd have to resort to hot water like with black powder.

Otherwise, both with straight-blowback guns and otherwise, how much would I have to worry about the fire control group inside the frame? I don't do much cleaning there, other than the slide rails and whatever I can reach -- would I need to really get in there with corrosive primers?

Wash with water.

That is basically the only way to be sure. Hot soapy water is best.

Ammonia is, meh. It is mostly the fact that ammonia based cleaners are largely water. It'll help a little, but not by enough to really matter all that much compared to just using some soapy water.

No, CLP on its own will not work. It is a hydrocarbon based cleaner to dissolve carbon. Won't do anything to the acidic salts.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Hot soapy water followed by a hot water rinse is one traditional method. Blow dry with compressed air then coat lightly with oil.Also, a Ballistol and water mixture works really well. Just clean well then blow dry. Ballistol residue is left when the water evaporates

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Wash with water. ... That is basically the only way to be sure. Hot soapy water is best. ... No, CLP on its own will not work. It is a hydrocarbon based cleaner to dissolve carbon. Won't do anything to the acidic salts.

Hot soapy water followed by a hot water rinse is one traditional method. Blow dry with compressed air then coat lightly with oil.

That's what I was afraid of. Like I understand with black powder guns.

Problem is, cleaning a black powder gun is a lot easier than a modern handgun. Not only the bore and everything inside the frame, but also the slide inside and out (firing pin, channel, etc.).

Almost sounds like the entire gun would have to be taken apart in detail every time...

Also, a Ballistol and water mixture works really well. Just clean well then blow dry. Ballistol residue is left when the water evaporates

I've never used Ballistol, though I've heard good things about it. So Ballistol and (hot) water mixture, then let the water evaporate? Without detailed disassembly?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    That's what I was afraid of. Like I understand with black powder guns.

Problem is, cleaning a black powder gun is a lot easier than a modern handgun. Not only the bore and everything inside the frame, but also the slide inside and out (firing pin, channel, etc.).

Almost sounds like the entire gun would have to be taken apart in detail every time...

I've never used Ballistol, though I've heard good things about it. So Ballistol and (hot) water mixture, then let the water evaporate? Without detailed disassembly?

Ballistol is great, and emulsifies in water, but the smell is pungent. Just rinse the field stripped parts in hot water to remove the salts, spray everything down with CLP, and give it a wipe down. The water will evaporate and the CLP stays behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom