TC 5.56 Brass Deflector, Mid-length gas system, questions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Does anyone have one of these TC shell deflectors that works without issue?
    ar_15_shell_deflector_m.jpg

I tried it for the first time last night and I literally got stove pipes and doublefeeds for the first time on my rifle EVER. Pulled the stupid thing off and voila, back to running great. :mad54:

I SUSPECT that it might have something to do with my gas system. Two other guys at the range last night were shooting carbine length and their brass was pretty much falling to their feet. My BCM mid-length gas system upper throws brass 15' out 45* to my right. :sad20:

Help??

TheEvilZX2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2011
    I have no experience with those so I can't say much about that.

But both of my ARs have 16in barrels with carbine length gas systems and they both throw brass forward at about 30-40 degrees...

And I've got a buddy with a 16in middy system...his throws brass right around the same place....

Could it be the way its being shouldered? When the GF shoots the AR brass doesn't fly far until I remind her to pull it tight in the shoulder....
    Sent from my OG EVO running CM7.2

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I don't want to have to hold it like a pistol to save my brass lol. Or hold it sideways and shoot weakhand for the kill shot.

Maybe I have to buy one of those stupid bags.

TheEvilZX2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2011
    Lol it seems I misunderstood, I thought you wanted it to deflect away from you....

Anyhow, all mine seem to keep the brass together in a rather consistent group, never had any problems retrieving brass....except for shooting in grass, they tend to hide.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    Lol it seems I misunderstood, I thought you wanted it to deflect away from you....

Anyhow, all mine seem to keep the brass together in a rather consistent group, never had any problems retrieving brass....except for shooting in grass, they tend to hide.

Ideally, they'd fall at my feet and wait for me to pick them up, carry them home, clean them, and pump them full of new goodness. (i'm new to reloading but this is the plan).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    first few rounds.. if the bag gets heavy.. stove pipe here we go! :innocent0

True, they say good for 30 rounds - but that's a bit optimistic.

With as much .223/5.56 brass there is out there, I honestly don't stress it too much. I've already got a nice stock of waiting brass though.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    True, they say good for 30 rounds - but that's a bit optimistic.

With as much .223/5.56 brass there is out there, I honestly don't stress it too much. I've already got a nice stock of waiting brass though.

try 10.. lol.. why you think i gave mine to al?!? :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom