• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I'm going to do the appleseed shoot with my son, I've got 2 10/22s I need to put slings on. They both have the normal wood stocks, what are my options without significantly altering them?

Thanks for any help.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'm going to do the appleseed shoot with my son, I've got 2 10/22s I need to put slings on. They both have the normal wood stocks, what are my options without significantly altering them?

Thanks for any help.

Really in my opinion it's not much of an alteration to just get a couple of swivel screws and carefully screw them into the stock. Just be sure to drill a pilot hole a little bit smaller than the screw first so you don't risk cracking the stock from overpressure when screwing it in. I think Wal Mart has the kits with screws and swivels for like 10 or 15 bucks. There are some replacement front barrel bands as well that have a swivel mount, but if you keep the original stock you're still gonna need to drill the rear one. The only other option I can think of would be to try one of those tactical type slings that wrap around the gun and don't need swivels.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Really in my opinion it's not much of an alteration to just get a couple of swivel screws and carefully screw them into the stock. Just be sure to drill a pilot hole a little bit smaller than the screw first so you don't risk cracking the stock from overpressure when screwing it in. I think Wal Mart has the kits with screws and swivels for like 10 or 15 bucks. There are some replacement front barrel bands as well that have a swivel mount, but if you keep the original stock you're still gonna need to drill the rear one. The only other option I can think of would be to try one of those tactical type slings that wrap around the gun and don't need swivels.
    All true.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=32804&highlight=10/22

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    For the Appleseed, you'll want to get 1 1/4" sling swivels, and a G.I. style web sling. Wal Mart, Dicks, Bass Pro etc. etc. sell mainly 1" swivels.

I had to order 1 1/4" swivels from Midway.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I just bought form Numrich a USGI black nylon web sling and Uncle Mike's 1 1/4" swivel set all for less than $7 delivered. Sling was $2.15 and swivels were $4.50. You need to call their order line Monday to Friday to get their current free shipping code number and enter it when placing your order online, or it will cost you $11 total. You will not find a sling and swivels any cheaper anywhere else.

My sling just came in the mail and you should get the Sling Things 3 Pack #536800 for $2 with your sling also, as mine did not have the sling clip that Appleseed wants you to have on your sling.

538350B - Sling - 50'' Long, Black Nylon, Original GI $2.15

536800 - U.S. surplus two sling hooks and one slide for use with 1-1/4" slings $2.00

I bought these for my Marlin 795 which has the swivel eyes built into the stock. The swivels from Numrich do not include the screw eyes that go into the stock wood.

Last edited:

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    One thing to note, when drilling a pilot hole at the buttstock, make sure you come far enough up that you don't get into the buttplate screws. I made that mistake with my rifle, I was able to rectify the issue, but the rear stud is off center just a hair. I'm not worried about it one way or the other, but some people are perfectionists.

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    Galati International offers a replacement barrel band that has sling hoops built into it. One is in the standard 6 o'clock position and the other is at 3 or 9 depending on how you mount it. A rear stud with atached hoop is included. Price is $14.95 your choice blue or stainless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom