• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fieldman

Dec 22, 2009
    Clayton, DE
    As a scout in the early 80's we used to go to Camp Rodney Scout Reservation in Northeast MD. I know for certain they had a .22 rifle range and archery right across the road. They supplied the guns and ammo. Single shot bolt action rifles back then. Just google mapped it and looks like the rifle range might still be there. If not, Elk Neck's rifle range is just up the road. So could prolly camp at Rodney, and go to Elk Neck also. This is all I could find with a quick internet search.

http://www.doubleknot.com/openrosters/ViewOrgPageLink.asp?LinkKey=14347&orgkey=1515

Good luck.. This place was one of my fondest memories as a boy scout.

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    We just had a shooting trip with a BSA troop that will remain unnamed for obvious reasons.
    After the kids qualified for merit badges with the .22's, the Dad's guns came out.
    The boys were able to shoot everything form AK's to handguns. All non-sponsored by the BSA of course and NOT at a BSA facility.
    It is still possible for Boy Scouts to have fun, just do it outside of the liability circles.

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    I am an adult leader with Troop 75 in Columbia Md. We would like to put together a weekend trip, camping somewhere close to a shooting facility and spending a day at the range.
    We want to give the scouts an oportunity to work on the rifle merit badge and introduce any nonshooter scouts and parents to firearms and safety. To this end I have completed the NRA rifle instructors course and am certified in BITS and rifle instructor.
    We had originally planned to camp at Mckeldin and and go to AGC but Mckeldin is already booked for this year. I have also been trying to get to Monumental's monthly meeting because I want to join and something has come up each month.

Any suggestions?

We want to do this for a June weekend trip.

Camp Rodney will probably be booked. Elk Neck State Park has camping facilities and a good range. You should be able to do everything at the State Park.

284 Colton Mag

Dec 16, 2009
    Falling Waters, WV
    Venture Crew 762 is dedicated to shooting sports and meets at the Washington County Isaac Walton. I know that they invite Boy Scout Troops in as guests, and we have indoor and outdoor ranges, so weather wouldn't be an issue for the merit badge.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    We just had a shooting trip with a BSA troop that will remain unnamed for obvious reasons.
    After the kids qualified for merit badges with the .22's, the Dad's guns came out.
    The boys were able to shoot everything form AK's to handguns. All non-sponsored by the BSA of course and NOT at a BSA facility.
    It is still possible for Boy Scouts to have fun, just do it outside of the liability circles.

My Troop did the same thing. We went to the town police range to qualify, then our Scoutmaster and my dad brought out their ARs. Good memories.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008

so you personally assumed liability for this event as the scouts policy does not cover you ???

i looked at the parents in my kids troop and decided otherwise.

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    so you personally assumed liability for this event as the scouts policy does not cover you ???

i looked at the parents in my kids troop and decided otherwise.

At that point it had nothing to do with BSA. It then became a father/son campout. Each kid was there with his father and liability never was questioned. We had a state trooper parent on the handgun range as our own Range Officer, doubled with the one working the range, and a parent at every other range.

Kim79

Kim
    Feb 19, 2009
    North East MD
    Elk Neck State Park and a short drive away is Elk Neck State Forest that has a range :)

Isnt there a Boy Scout camp ground near Elk Neck? I was in explorers and we camped somewhere near there and there was a ton of scouts there. And no Im not thinking of the Christian place

strube

Jul 5, 2009
    Baltimore
    It was 30 some years ago, but in PG , T251 we did all the interesting things. At least one campout or hike per month. Rifle range at Goshen Scout Camp (Camp Ross)(week long in summer).
    Once upon a decade I was a Rifle & Shotgun merit Badge Counsler, among others. But we didn't have all those stinkin' rules.

Up until I was an adult the only shooting I've ever done was at Goshen and it was .22lr bolt guns.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    There is a difference between the State Forest and the State Park but they are close enough that you can camp in the park and ride up to ENSF to use the range. There is no shooting range in Elk Neck State Park.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Broadcreek, Horseshoe and Rodney all have ranges. If you plan your trip prior to summer camp season you should have no problem getting range time at any of the camps. They can supply the weapons and the ammo.

My son's troop could sometimes get the range for the entire day, other times half a day...the leaves the other half for advancements.

Shooting trips are always the boy's favorites. Our issue was always with the one or two parents that did not approve of their sons touching a gun.

Some of these camps also have shotgun ranges where you can do trap shooting.

Good Luck on your trip...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom