• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Welcome to Maryland Project Appleseed 2019!

Our Rifle Marksmanship clinics are fun, and your shooting will improve whatever your starting skill level!

• New to shooting? We will get you on paper, you will see rapid improvement, and you will have fun.
    • Prior Appleseed shooter, but still haven't made Rifleman? Continue to climb the ladder and get that patch!
    • Prior qualifying Rifleman? Bring a new rifle or scope to try out, get your Front Sight or distinguished patch (or maybe take a hat and join the instructor and volunteer ranks).
    Also, you might learn some things...do you know:

1. When and where did the Revolutionary War begin?
    2. When and where was the American Revolution won?
    3. What caused the Regulars (British Redcoats, the finest army in the world) to break and run in less than two minutes of fighting at the North Bridge?
    4. Who fired the first shots on Lexington Green?
    Learn the answers to these questions, and a WHOLE LOT MORE at an Appleseed Rifle Marksmanship event!

Find Appleseed events in Maryland here

While events are still being added for 2019, including several at Bowie, at least one Ladyseed, and hopefully a few known distance 200-yd events. For those of you out in the Western Panhandle/WV Border, we hope to add events in Kearneysville, WV as well. So please check this thread for updates.

These classes usually sell out quickly; sign up NOW to assure your spot on the line! Sign up for specific events:

January 2019
    Annapolis, MD - January 26, 2019 (One Day Event), 22 Rimfire-only

February 2019
    Annapolis, MD - February 16, 2019 (One Day Event), 22 Rimfire-only

March 2019
    Marriottsville, MD - March 9-10, 2019 (Two Day Event), Centerfire and Rimfire rifles

Annapolis, MD - March 23, 2019 (One Day Event), 22 Rimfire-only

April 2019
    Annapolis, MD - April 13-14, 2019 (Two Day Event - Patriot's Day), 22 Rimfire-only

Lexington Park, MD - April 13-14, 2019 (Two Day Event - Patriot's Day), Centerfire and Rimfire rifles

May 2019
    Marriottsville, MD - May 11, 2019 - May 12, 2019 (Two Day Event), Centerfire and Rimfire rifles

Annapolis, MD - May 25-26, 2019 (Two Day Event), 22 Rimfire-only

June 2019
    Annapolis, MD - June 8-9, 2019 (Two Day Event), 22 Rimfire-only

Lexington Park, MD - June 8-9, 2019 (Two Day Event), Centerfire and Rimfire rifles

July 2019
    Annapolis, MD - July 13, 2019 (One Day Event), 22 Rimfire-only

August 2019
    Annapolis, MD - August 10, 2019 (One Day Event), 22 Rimfire-only

September 2019
    Lexington Park, MD - September 7-8, 2019 (Two Day Event), Centerfire and Rimfire rifles

Marriottsville, MD - September 14-15, 2019 (Two Day Event), Centerfire and Rimfire rifles

Annapolis, MD - September 21-22, 2019 (Two Day Event), 22 Rimfire-only

October 2019
    Annapolis, MD - October 19-20, 2019 (Two Day Event), 22 Rimfire-only

November 2019
    Lexington Park, MD - November 2-3, 2019 (Two Day Event), Centerfire and Rimfire rifles

Annapolis, MD - November 9-10, 2019 (Two Day Event), 22 Rimfire-only

December 2019
    Annapolis, MD - December 7, 2019 (One Day Event), 22 Rimfire-only

Marriottsville, MD - December 7-8, 2019 (Two Day Event), Centerfire and Rimfire rifles

How much does it cost?
    • One-day Events: Adults = $40, Youth under 18 = $15, Active Military, Reserve & Guard = $15, Peace Officer = $15, Re-enactors in Period Dress = $15.
    • Two-day Events: Adults = $60, Youth under 18 = $20, Active Military, Reserve & Guard = $20, Peace Officer = $20, Re-enactors in Period Dress = $20.
    Sign-up MUST be done online. All attendees MUST register online. For full fee schedule, including potential range fees, go to the registration for each event.

What do I need to do to get ready?
    • Bring a semi-automatic rifle with at least two (2) magazines (4 is better) so you can shoot the course of fire being taught. No bi-pods, and if attending a two day event, bring at least 500 rounds of ammo (at least 300 rounds for a one day). Bring Lunch and lots of water.
    • See all the recommendations here
    Some events will be 22LR ONLY!!! Other ranges do allow center-fire, so bring that bang-stick out! Read the details of the class carefully when signing up!

Want up to the minute Maryland Appleseed updates? Visit or like us on Facebook

We hope to see you on the line!

attachment.php

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Unfortunately, 15-22s are still prohibited. However, we do have loaner rifles available (typically Marlin 795s, 10/22s, or T/CR22s) and there are a number of folks who run alternative AR-based rimfire platforms at our events (CMMG dedicated uppers and conversions, Beretta ARX160, etc.).

I am excited to see how some of the emerging AR-type rimfire platforms perform at shoots in 2019, such as the Kriss DMK22 and Tippman M4-22. Seems like the rimfire platforms are proliferating to give people more choices beyond the 15-22.

And of course there are the events which allow centerfire (Marriottsville and Lexington Park, Bowie in the future and maybe a long range event on the Eastern Shore) which are very fun with ARs, ACRs, SCARs, Garands, AKs, and so on.

Bowieite

Sep 22, 2013
    Undisclosed Location
    KYFHO, thanks for the quick reply. Even though it's not the answer I wanted to hear. I bought a 15-22 just for Appleseeds and earned my Rifleman first time out, now I can't use it for it's intended purpose. I will be on the line this year with my son, who I got a Marlin for him to use. I guess I'll have to get a .22 upper for my AR.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Sorry, I know it has frustrated a lot of people with 15-22s (including me). But there is joy in a new dedicated 22LR AR upper as well (I need to build one myself). And we would love to have you and your son on the line.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Any Appleseeds that the kids can use bolt guns (.22LR)?

Absolutely! We adapt to the skills, strength, and confidence of kids of all ages. We have one very young woman who shoots a single shot bolt action with iron sights off a bipod and does pretty well (and gets all her shots off despite the time limits). We had another young woman shoot a 10/22 of bipod and score a large number of perfect targets over a 2-day shoot. Flip through some of the wrap-up pictures from last year and you’ll see lots of examples of kids on the line.

If a kid can handle the transitions, we encourage them try. If they can do the positions without transitions, that is fine too. If they need to stay prone, shoot from a sandbag, or from a bipod to be safe, that is fine as well. Safety is our first priority, then learning, then fun, then achievement, like Rifleman. Our youngest Rifleman (Riflewoman) last year was 10 years old, but she was exceptional (and is now competing in NRA High Power!).

AAFG in Annapolis is a great location for kids because it is rimfire only so they won’t have a centerfire nearby causing them to flinch (plus it is a great range anyway).

In general for adults, bolt actions are slower but some of our best shooters (including some of the people who have scored perfect 250s) have qualified with them. Heck, I just bought a new CZ 455 Scout and am going to put Tech Sights on it and see if it will score (I’ve already done so with a scoped Savage MkII).

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Cold Warrior, your leadership and support for Project Appleseed and engagement on MDShooters is always appreciated!!!! Without that, I would never have gone to my first one or found such a great organization to work with. You left YUGE shoes to fill :)

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Annapolis, January 26

Just a few slots available for the Annapolis AAFG (rimfire only) event this coming Saturday.

While it is VERY COLD (17F, 6F windchill) and WINDY (30mph+) today, the forecast for Saturday seems like a much nicer (winter) day: 36F, <5mph wind, partly sunny. Unless the snow in the forecast for the following Monday moves up, it doesn't look like a Winterseed patch qualifying event. Hopefully we will do history in the clubhouse but layer up all the same. Shivering doesn't help your aim!

Please let us know if you need any loaner equipment or anything else to make the shoot fun and successful for you!

If you can't make it this weekend or would like to take out a new centerfire rifle you got or upgraded for Christmas, there is a Virginia Appleseed event in Stafford, VA the weekend after (February 2-3). Not too far from MD and I will be a "boarder raiding" instructor there.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Great day and great event.. A big thank you to the team putting this together. My fiancé’s 14 yr old son and I had a great time. I was hoping he would like it and get him interested in formal shooting. Well, mission success! He has been talking about how much fun he had and that definitely wants to go again and try to make Rifleman. His mother and I couldn’t be happier! On a side note, I had a great day too, I finally made a Rifleman!
    If anyone has been thinking about doing to an Appleseed event, I highly recommend. I will quote Nike.. “Just Do It”. :party29:

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    We had a great 1-day Appleseed event with 10 new Appleseed students.

The morning muster was a cold one and everyone was eager to start the day so we started off with our first Redcoat. We had a 10 year Appleseeder, Shannon M. clear the target and earn her highly coveted Maryland Front Sight Patch! To top that off, Shannon went on to shoot a 218 and 220 Riflemens score and, clear the Redcoat target at the end of the day! Way to go Shannon! We see you wearing an Instructor hat in the near future! Her father was also successful turning out a 247 and 248 respectively on the AQT. Congratulations Christopher M.!

Several other shooters turned in impressive Riflemen scores as well. Jim K. had a 219 & 221, Joey M. shot a 210 & 216, Paul U. shot a 210 & 213, and Cory W. followed-up with an outstanding score of 218! Way to go and congratulations to all!

For those of you that made Rifleman, Huzzah! We hope you will continue to come out to further improve your scores, try it with different guns, get that Front Site patch, and maybe join the instructor corps.

If you didn't make Rifleman, keep at it. Dry fire practice is the key to proficiency. If you have questions about preparing for the next one that we didn't answer at the event, feel free to post here. A Rifleman Persists!

Thanks to all the Instructors who did a great job on a cold day - this was Powder Monkey's first event and she did great. All the new Riflemen were first time Appleseeders and we hope the instruction was part of the equation. At the end of the day, all the instructors agreed it was time well spent and look forward to seeing these new Appleseeders again soon!

Thanks so much to AAFG for hosting us and allowing us to use the clubhouse for history and a much needed warm-up at lunch. The next Maryland event will be another 1-day event at AAFG on February 16.

Pictures from the event are available on the MD Appleseed Facebook page.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    My fiancé’s 14 yr old son and I had a great time. I was hoping he would like it and get him interested in formal shooting. Well, mission success! He has been talking about how much fun he had and that definitely wants to go again and try to make Rifleman. His mother and I couldn’t be happier!

We would love to have you both on the line again soon! And congrats on making Rifleman :D

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I definitely want to go to one of these events, with my 14 year old son. Learning the proper use of the aid of a sling would greatly help both of us.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I'm planning to sign up for the March event at AAFG, assuming no wrinkles in the schedule. I've been looking forward to this since last year!

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Annapolis, February 16

Still plenty of slots available for the Annapolis AAFG (rimfire only) event in two weeks - February 16.

It was 5F when I went to work today but things are going to warm up significantly this next week and if we are lucky, it will be back to normal late winter (and if not, hopefully Winterseed-qualifying) conditions by then. More weather reports will follow.

If you can't make it in February, the next Maryland event will be a 2-day centerfire and rimfire event at ACG Marriottsville March 9-10 and then another 1-day event at AAFG on March 23.

Our first event of the year was a huge success despite the chilly conditions, a testament to the dedicated shooters and instructors: FIVE new Riflemen added to the cadre, PLUS 2 requals and 3 Front Site Patches!!!!

We hope to see you on the line!

51024587_2033133956774357_5894094752579584000_n.jpg

50818537_2033134066774346_4260368229169364992_n.jpg

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Annapolis, February 16

Still plenty of slots available for the Annapolis AAFG (rimfire only) event this weekend, February 16.

Weather is looking fine for winter, with a high of 47F and only a bit of rain in the morning. Doesn't look like a Winterseed - the snow keeps dodging our weekends.

We know it is Valentine's Day weekend and that may be hampering attendance a bit. But just think - what says "I Love You" more than getting his and hers Rifleman patches? If we get a couple couples, we'll even create some specialty targets and drills for the weekend with prizes.

If you can't make it in February, the next Maryland event will be a 2-day centerfire and rimfire event at ACG Marriottsville March 9-10 and then another 1-day event at AAFG on March 23.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom