• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Long story short. A friend of mine and his father built a retaining wall. His father has years of experience doing this and it was done correctly but with no inspection from the county. :sad20: Anyway they pulled the permit and need a engineer to sign off on it for completion of inspection. A few questions...
    Is anyone here qualified for this or know someone who is?
    What is the process for having this signed off on ?
    Is this going to cost a ton of money? $500 or more?
    Located in montgomery county rockville area.
    PM if you would like.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Your local government inspection/building code Nazis might have an idea who can help you with this.

They may even have an inspector on staff.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    You most likely would need a PE (board certified professional engineer) to sign off and a notary to witness /sign. They are out there for hire, don't know cost.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Long story short. A friend of mine and his father built a retaining wall. His father has years of experience doing this and it was done correctly but with no inspection from the county. :sad20: Anyway they pulled the permit and need a engineer to sign off on it for completion of inspection. A few questions...
    Is anyone here qualified for this or know someone who is?
    What is the process for having this signed off on ?
    Is this going to cost a ton of money? $500 or more?
    Located in montgomery county rockville area.
    PM if you would like.

Why no permit in the first place then?

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    I hire structural engineers quite frequently. Couple of questions he/she will probably ask you. Have you had drawings done? Did you take pictures of work performed before covering it up. Did you have soil samples and or compaction test done? Just a FYI of questions that may be thrown at you.
    For this type of work I would reach out to John Schneider PE. In Catonsville
    PM me if you can't find his number.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My guess is it's going to be difficult to get that signature. The engineer doesn't know anything about the build. He's not going to sign off unless he knows the work was done to a certain specification. I think you're doomed on this one.

Sorry.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    Also a geotechnical engineer or civil engineer is qualified to sign off on a retaining wall.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    You most likely would need a PE (board certified professional engineer) to sign off and a notary to witness /sign. They are out there for hire, don't know cost.

No notary or witness, Engineer stamps and signs on his seal on the plans.
    If OP finds one for $500, run don't walk to him/her. PM on the way. I don't believe an engineer cares less seeing construction, they approve the construction plans.
    If you deviate from the plans, they are not liable.

I now see it was already constructed, oh my.. if Robar is correct and needs site review and some kind of "as built" plans drawn up, that's more money.

the real question is why the hell they go for permit "after" construction. Did someone drop a dime on him?

Your local government inspection/building code Nazis might have an idea who can help you with this.

They may even have an inspector on staff.

MoCo is legit. If this was DC , there'd be a reviewer who also happens to be an engineer. He'd take pencil to an 8x10 piece of paper draw something up, stamp it then hand him the money.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Contact Engineer David Wallace out of Annapolis, MD. He is likely to be at or under $500. Best pricing I've ever seen from an engineer. Tell him Public Adjuster Mike Durlewanger with Dottrio referred you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom