• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    So this weekend I tried milling out a lower. I practiced on a plastic lower I had from EP armory first and it went quickly. I then attempted a forged aluminum lower and had some interesting questions. (I know there are drill/router kits but I really, really, really wanted to make this mill work)

My first question is about the jig or vice I have. I'm not sure which is more of an issue but here we go. The vice is about 1.5" tall (this is my second time using the mill and I haven't ever measured it. I just bought this mill 4 months ago) and doesn't nearly give the jig support towards the top of the jig where the lower actually takes up space. It's a Daytona tactical jig which seems really barebones in terms of capabilities. I noticed that if I wrench down on the jig too much, there's flex in the sides. Should I mill a spacer to put at the bottom or is there a vice that is taller and can support the sides closer to where they're joined?

Also, when it comes to removing the jig for measuring, is there a more accurate way to mark and return to the position you were at in the vice besides making marks on the outside of the jig?

And the last odd question I had (can you tell I'm not a machinest?!) had to do with depth and speed. Is it better to mill less material and move faster around the area that needs to be removed or remove more material and move slower around said area?

I think those were my major questions. TIA

-Wally

Here's a gratuitous iphone picture of my buddy also giving the mill a hand lol
    29862841002_629e7cf8d3_z.jpg

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I would put a spacer between the jig side plates, also to insert and remove back to the same position, put a hard stop that is mounted to your table. Your Y will be stopped against the vise fixed jaw, then the X you push the jig up against the stop.

For a machine that size I would take smaller depth of cuts rather than trying to hog a bunch of material in one pass.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    So this weekend I tried milling out a lower. I practiced on a plastic lower I had from EP armory first and it went quickly. I then attempted a forged aluminum lower and had some interesting questions. (I know there are drill/router kits but I really, really, really wanted to make this mill work)

My first question is about the jig or vice I have. I'm not sure which is more of an issue but here we go. The vice is about 1.5" tall (this is my second time using the mill and I haven't ever measured it. I just bought this mill 4 months ago) and doesn't nearly give the jig support towards the top of the jig where the lower actually takes up space. It's a Daytona tactical jig which seems really barebones in terms of capabilities. I noticed that if I wrench down on the jig too much, there's flex in the sides. Should I mill a spacer to put at the bottom or is there a vice that is taller and can support the sides closer to where they're joined?

Also, when it comes to removing the jig for measuring, is there a more
    accurate way to mark and return to the position you were at in the vice besides making marks on the outside of the jig
    ?

And the last odd question I had (can you tell I'm not a machinest?!) had to do with depth and speed. Is it better to mill less material and move faster around the area that needs to be removed or remove more material and move slower around said area?

I think those were my major questions. TIA

-Wally

Here's a gratuitous iphone picture of my buddy also giving the mill a hand lol
    29862841002_629e7cf8d3_z.jpg

I'm a machinist. PM me for any help. You need to understand speeds and feeds before you start cutting.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I'm a machinist. PM me for any help. You need to understand speeds and feeds before you start cutting.

No need for PMs. I can't be the only idiot who bought a mill and is a bit clueless about this :)

So... I'm a bit of a manual reader and just followed the manual's recommendation of 280-300 rpms for aluminum. It seemed slow to me but I didn't suffer from "chatter" and it never got bound up. I was moving slug slow though :P

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    No need for PMs. I can't be the only idiot who bought a mill and is a bit clueless about this :)

So... I'm a bit of a manual reader and just followed the manual's recommendation of 280-300 rpms for aluminum. It seemed slow to me but I didn't suffer from "chatter" and it never got bound up. I was moving slug slow though :P

Depending on the end mill you should be in the thousands of RPM's. 280-300 is very slow. Go to the LittleMachineShop site and they have a great speeds and feeds guide. If you can't find it let me know and I can send it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom