Why are Suppressors so insanely OVERPRICED????

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    A little piece of aluminum or titanium should not cost $700 - $1,400 (of course then you have to pay the $200 "tax stamp").

Can someone explain how this is NOT outright GOUGING of consumers? I know you don't have to buy one and it's a "luxury" item but come on! It's just outrageous what this companies charge for little of nothing.

Scarab

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It's not gouging. It's capitalism.

The prices reflect what the market will bear.

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Seems like they'd sell more if they weren't so insanely overpriced though. But I'm speaking common sense of course.

Scarab

Last edited:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    There's also a fair amount of R&D that goes into a decent suppressor. Plus short-run precision manufacturing and a low sales quantity means the price is higher.

If the tax stamp was eliminated you'd see more sales, and more competition, and prices would come down.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I'm guessing the manufacturers that rely more on suppressor sales and don't produce rifles are the ones keeping the prices/mark up high and the others do it because they can. I wish the firearm manufacturing community was more friendly to the customer but 'Merica! woo hoo ffft ffft ffft or however you spell that silenced sound.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you think you can do it better, start your own company and find out about BATFE, Taxes, R&D, Legal Costs, Advertising, and Regulations.

Oh and tooling and machinery cost too. Thoss costs alone are INSANE.

Make sure you price them so only you and your employees make minimum wage too. After all capitalism is "gouging", so dont ask too much for your hard work.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    If you think you can do ot better, start your own company and find out about BATFE, Taxes, R&D, Legal Costs, Advertising, and Regulations.

Make sure you price them so only you and your employees make minimum wage too. After all capitalism is "gouging", so dont ask too much for your hard work.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

May 13, 2005
    A little piece of aluminum or titanium should not cost $700 - $1,400 (of course then you have to pay the $200 "tax stamp").

Can someone explain how this is NOT outright GOUGING of consumers? I know you don't have to buy one and it's a "luxury" item but come on! It's just outrageous what this companies charge for little of nothing.

Scarab

How much do you think they should cost? As others have pointed out, there are many, many other factors besides the raw materials that go into the price tag.

Try and come up with a business model and cost plan that sells suppressors (or any other gun related thing) and I bet you will quickly find out more of those expenses that come into play - quite a bit more than "little of nothing".

Just curious, have you ever run a business or been on the production to market side of things?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Simply put, because people are willing to pay it so that's what the market demands. While they cost more than you may think to make, for the reasons Chad already gave, there is a huge margin in them for makers who can successfully sell them. Just like with AR lowers, that's why you see every swinging dick with a drill press and an erector set getting their license and trying to build and market them. And just like the AR market, that's also why you see a lot of poorly made low-end junk and stupid shit that serves no real purpose other than to be a gimmick also being put out and marketed as the next greatest thing.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    There are a number of entry-level suppressor manufacturers that are in the sub-$600 range for just about everything. They don't sell as well as you'd think. A lot of them just aren't as quiet or lack the feature set of the more expensive cans.

There's also not much of a secondary market for suppressors, so people will opt to buy the nicer, more expensive suppressor, because they intend on keeping it and using it for a long time.

Why do people pay more to buy an iPhone 6 when the iPhone 4 is made of the same materials? It's just silicon, glass, and metal!!!

You're paying for the engineering. You're paying for features. Quietness. Anybody with a mill and a lathe can drill some holes into bar stock. Very few houses have the expertise in material science, fluid dynamics, and acoustical engineering to make a good sounding suppressor.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    There's also a fair amount of R&D that goes into a decent suppressor. Plus short-run precision manufacturing and a low sales quantity means the price is higher.

If the tax stamp was eliminated you'd see more sales, and more competition, and prices would come down.

If the tax stamp was eliminated, we could all build our own fer fiddy to a hunert dolla.

Just think of all the nationwide hearing health and quiet hunting we'd enjoy.

Can't have that. :rolleyes:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You can form 1 a good suppressor for $100 plus the $200 tax.

Sure but apples to oranges. No one sells commercial freeze plug suppressors;) There ARE low end simple suppressors that are inexpensive though. Neither are equivalent to something like a SDN6/Saker in sound or longevity. Just buying raw inconel (or titanium) is going to cost you more than that. The machining time adds a good bit of cost. You could get SDN6s for $500 when on sale (I have two.) I have a full cnc machine shop and figured I can't get the raw materials and machine for much less than that. Can run full auto though them and no appreciable wear yet. I would destroy a freeze plug suppressor in those applications. I've formed 1 a couple suppressors but limit myself to mostly pistol calibers. They have their applications but comparing a $100 DIY to a high $ commercial version isn't necessarily a fair comparison.

What Chad said in all the additional costs to be in business are also spot on.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008

This. Big time.

The suppressor market these days has gone way beyond the "washers in a piece of pipe" stage. Tolerances are tighter, shapes are getting more complex, and the customers are demanding higher performance from a lighter can - and titanium, Inconel, etc., are not cheap. Throw in the limited market and you have a recipe for relatively high prices.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You can form 1 a good suppressor for $100 plus the $200 tax.
    Flashlight + parts kit + tax stamp. Suppressors aren't rocket science, and are fundamentally a pretty basic concept. If I ever decide I just have to have one, that's what I'm going to do. Is it the best money can buy? Nope - not even close, but it will get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom