• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I saw four big toms in a grass field today around 6:00 PM.

I'm going back in the morning with my Mossberg. I also found a turkey hen decoy today (coincidentally).

Will report as soon as possible. :)

SugeMike

Nov 28, 2015
    That is awesome!!

I plan on going out turkey hunting for the first time when the season opens. Have some private land I plan on trying out. I've seen turkey out there, so going to see if I can locate them. Just got the rest of my gear yesterday. I've been practicing my calling and everything. Planning on patterning the 12g on Sunday pending weather.

Good luck!

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I had to wait until tomorrow to start hunting turkey cause I haven't talked to the game warden about it yet. It's only archery season until next weekend anyway.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Trailcam over the past 2 weeks.

Attachments

• WGI_0444.jpg
      WGI_0444.jpg
      157.5 KB · Views: 761
    • WGI_0408.jpg
      WGI_0408.jpg
      191.8 KB · Views: 688
    • WGI_0007 - Copy.jpg
      WGI_0007 - Copy.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 696
    • WGI_0412.jpg
      WGI_0412.jpg
      177.7 KB · Views: 720

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The field where I saw all the turkeys is posted so I can't hunt them (I think they know it too).

I saw a jake sitting in a burned out corn field and thought "Look at that decoy somebody left out there!". I looked back a few minutes later and it moved. Then it walked into the woods.

Me and my nephew tried out a spot yesterday. The decoys I have look great but there's a chitload of ticks around the area. I had two on my arm in about ten minutes so we left.

Time to spray the tick spray before every trip.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    Youth turkey is this weekend. Im taking a grandson out and another one won a guided hunt though the JAKES program. Should be great weather for kids and old men

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    6:15 this morning, I kicked some gravel taking the trash out, Tom lit up. Next crow fly by calling and he lit up again. Couldn't see the roost but he was loud.

rukles

Apr 16, 2016
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    New

I know its last minute, but I just moved up here to Maryland from Ft. Bragg, NC and was trying to find some public land that I could turkey hunt on. I would also be willing to pay or lease private land if anyone would know of any out there. I look into Elk Neck but was told that there's deer there but no turkey. On the base here, you need to have a hunter in charge and haven't had any luck with finding one that's available. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as right now I'm not to choosy, and would love to get out into the woods.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I know its last minute, but I just moved up here to Maryland from Ft. Bragg, NC and was trying to find some public land that I could turkey hunt on. I would also be willing to pay or lease private land if anyone would know of any out there. I look into Elk Neck but was told that there's deer there but no turkey. On the base here, you need to have a hunter in charge and haven't had any luck with finding one that's available. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as right now I'm not to choosy, and would love to get out into the woods.

Go over to the place where you get the permits on base and ask around. There's sure to be someone who can hook you up. Or else go over to the archery range and ask around there. If you see a game warden around you can ask him too.

rukles

Apr 16, 2016
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Turkey

Go over to the place where you get the permits on base and ask around. There's sure to be someone who can hook you up. Or else go over to the archery range and ask around there. If you see a game warden around you can ask him too.

I'm heading over to MWR tomorrow to see what I can find out. I have been out to the archery range a few times, but no one has been there. Hopefully I can find something out, thanks for the info.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm heading over to MWR tomorrow to see what I can find out. I have been out to the archery range a few times, but no one has been there. Hopefully I can find something out, thanks for the info.

They have hunter activities at that building at the archery range so maybe you can attend one of those. The hunters sign up at certain times of the day and you can ask them if they know anyone who needs a partner. They would probably be the best bet to start off.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am probably headed to green ridge this Thursday for some camping and turkey hunting. If I strike out I'll try some stuff local to me in central Maryland.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Turkey's are full gobble...I was calling them with a box call and a jake popped up 35yds away and my wife shot her first tom...she didnt want to wait on a big one. So for her its a trophy shes got pics on her phone...it was small but tasty.

Yesterday myself and neighbor went to check my bear bait and nothing hit it yet but we heard gobbles. So I tried calling and had one tom responding, and we spot him come out of the woods 530yds (we had a range finder) away and he kept gobbling...he started to head up the road so we kept watching him and hitting the box call and sure enough he was coming up the road strutting, gobbling, puffed out, then running...he got within 15yds and we couldnt help but laugh. We didnt have shotguns so we let him go...we didnt have a camera or it would have been hilarious...So he got a pass:) It was a good encounter.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I got lucky this morning...when I bagged a 23 pounder, 10" beard and 1 1/8" spurs on public hunting land in Maryland, with my Winchester 1300 pump shotgun - 12 gauge, 3" magnum, 3rd Degree Federals, 5, 6 & 7 shot.

I say lucky...because when I was 50 feet from my setup --- I got tangled up in a sticker bush with a rotten blow down in it --- I tried to lift my left leg over the blow down, but instead, my foot hit the top of the blow down and broke off a large limb with a resounding crack that echoed thru the woods --- Not knowing at that time, that there were two toms and a hen roosted in a large tree, not more than 70 yards away from me --- That was 3:20 a.m.

After dawn...the two toms started shock gobbling {at least 50 times} too almost any sound --- besides my soft tree yelps: geese, owls, a hawk, overhead jet airplane, far away gobbles and even distant shotgun blasts --- five shotgun blasts by 7 a.m. --- That'll be the closest to pinpointing my location to y'all.:D

I could see the two toms in the tree from my setup. One might have seen me while it was still roosted in the tree. The hen flew down about 80 yards from me on the same slope with a fly-down cackle and the toms soon silently followed her.

I did a fly down cackle and then called sparingly too them...knowing that once the hen left them to go nest, they might then go check me out with my one hen decoy setup.

Sure enough...{about 30 minutes later} I did a few yelps and couple of clucks with my mouth call --- A tom responded with a gobble about 60 yards away. I shut-up and got ready. I saw the tom about 23 yards away... but then the other gobbler or hen started doing alarm putts --- Me thinking that was the one that might have seen me while it was still in the roost tree --- The lead gobbler backed off quickly for a few steps after he heard the putts, but cautiously came back forward with his neck outstretched, while taking a gander at my hen decoy --- That's when I let him have it with one shot at 23 yards around 7 a.m.

Last edited:

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I was thinking about taking off today to go out. Didnt and saw this at the end of my driveway. uploadfromtaptalk1461069473821.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rukles

Apr 16, 2016
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Thanks

They have hunter activities at that building at the archery range so maybe you can attend one of those. The hunters sign up at certain times of the day and you can ask them if they know anyone who needs a partner. They would probably be the best bet to start off.

Hey, thanks for all the info. I went over there yesterday and today and got hooked up with a guy that I'll be going out with on Saturday and next week. Thanks for the help appreciate it.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Hey, thanks for all the info. I went over there yesterday and today and got hooked up with a guy that I'll be going out with on Saturday and next week. Thanks for the help appreciate it.

Yeah, there's usually somebody who needs a partner to go out hunting with. They don't want people hunting alone on base.

Good luck!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Was planning to go out tomorrow...but with rain, will they still move? In my mind yes, eating worms etc....but I'm not a turkey hunter at all

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Was planning to go out tomorrow...but with rain, will they still move? In my mind yes, eating worms etc....but I'm not a turkey hunter at all

They might spend more time on the roost in the morning, if it's still raining. Once they fly down from the roost...they might head towards a field {if it stops raining} so they can dry off faster. If it is still raining...they'll tend to ruffle & shake there feathers, every so often, so as to shake off the rain droplets --- So keep an eye out for that kind of movement.

Listen for a shock gobble after a lightning strike with thunder --- That gobbler might be thundering back.:D

A cold rain is dangerous for turkey poults that are exposed to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom