• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have mentioned before that these should be MD legal by MSP's own definitions. The piston is not compatible with other AKs.

"The Maryland State Police is responsible for reaching its own conclusions with respect to whether particular firearms are copies of enumerated banned firearms. In reaching those conclusions, the Maryland State Police adheres to the process articulated in the Firearms Bulletin #10-2 dated November 4, 2010 a copy of which may be found on our website. To that end, the Maryland State Police has determined that, for enforcement purposes, a firearm is considered a copy if it is both cosmetically similar to and has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons."
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

The AMD 63 uses a different length gas piston than a regular AK. It is not interchangeable. The AMD piston is about an inch shorter than a standard AK piston. So wouldn't that mean that the AMD 63 would be MD legal?
    I keep hoping they'll review it and declare it "not banned." I think they would sell very well here.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Death nails...

Attachments

• flechette.1.jpg
      flechette.1.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 418

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have mentioned before that these should be MD legal by MSP's own definitions. The piston is not compatible with other AKs.
    *snip*
    The AMD 63 uses a different length gas piston than a regular AK. It is not interchangeable. The AMD piston is about an inch shorter than a standard AK piston. So wouldn't that mean that the AMD 63 would be MD legal?
    Problem is, the banned rifles list also includes "AK semi-auto in any format" besides "AK-47". MSP ain't gonna care about piston length when the wording is that expansive, and it's arguably a legit interpretation. Wouldn't want to fight that one out in court.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I definitely want to get an arsenal slr106 before they start getting too expensive. Since I've always wanted to get a get a Maryland compliant AK rifle for years.

SLR106UR pistols are on sale, Kvar and GunBroker for $650-700.

From my research there were problems in the past but recent production should be fine. Mags are expensive though.

Give me a few days and I'll let you know if my 106UR works. Seller on GB even replaced the 20rd with another 5rd so I would have 2 mags... Sucks but glad he did that for me.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Problem is, the banned rifles list also includes "AK semi-auto in any format" besides "AK-47". MSP ain't gonna care about piston length when the wording is that expansive, and it's arguably a legit interpretation. Wouldn't want to fight that one out in court.

Void for vagueness! What about an AK-15? I don't know what that is, but I've seen that model mentioned in news reports and in the Maryland legislature. :)

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    But nails sure has a nice ring to it, like last nail in the coffin.

The AK ship began sailing a long time ago. First there was Chinese, then the barrel ban. I remember a glorious time when you could build an AK with a piece of sheet metal and a $99 G kit.

It's a damn shame, even if you don't like AKs--they remain one of the most historically interesting firearms given how many were made, in how many flavors, in how many countries. Just the mags alone could keep a collector busy.

I remember buying machine guns for a few hundred dollars.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I remember buying machine guns for a few hundred dollars.

oh yes...
    Rock Island Armory, Springfield Armory,BM-59's, M14's, M2HB's, MAC's,
    Maremont M60's etc, was the good times.
    wish I would of purchased the ma duece back then, $2,500
    but needless to say couldn't justify that then nor $1,200
    for a FNFAL but....:rolleyes:

got kits...?

-Rock

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    Seem like every week the AK world takes another hit.. everything about Ak's is becoming more expensive the AR's. We lose Veprs to sanctions, 74 kits drying up,556 AK mags no longer being imported in, 74 mags back up to 30+ a pc. whats next? Its a sad day to see how expensive AK's are to AR prices

Agreed. When Arsenal decided to end production on the SLR104FR I jumped and bought two. One for shooting which I am trying to sell to buy the SLR106FR or build an 300 black out and another wrapped up as an collector that will bring a pretty penny one day. I think AR manufactures are lobbying for these restrictions.

Not sure if an AR can go through what this guy put the SLR104FR through.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Seem like every week the AK world takes another hit.. everything about Ak's is becoming more expensive the AR's. We lose Veprs to sanctions, 74 kits drying up,556 AK mags no longer being imported in, 74 mags back up to 30+ a pc. whats next? Its a sad day to see how expensive AK's are to AR prices

I just realized the other day that used/refurb'd SKS prices have now eclipsed new AR prices.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Thats insane, used to be able to buy them fot around $100.

Yeah and now they go for $300 except for Russians that go for between $500 and $600 depending on the moon, the wind and the salinity of the Gulf of Mexico

Apr 8, 2017
    the banned rifles list also includes "AK semi-auto in any format" besides "AK-47"
    Is this a Maryland restriction or nationwide?

Why has Arsenal of Las Vegas pretty much stopped building rifles (except for some very weird variants) and K-var started selling everything by auction on Gunbroker?

I've been living in the woods for several years without online access. AKs used to be cheap and ARs expensive, now we see a complete reversal. Is the market being manipulated?

The value of the entire market for firearms sales to private citizens in the US must be tiny in comparison to, say, the market capitalization of Apple or Amazon. I would think one or two players with sufficient funds (e.g., Cerberus Capital Management with Dan "Potatoe" Quayle as Chairman of Global Investments) could easily tweak the US market for private gun sales in whatever direction they wanted.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    my ak is long gone, traded away. could not jam the gun, could not hit much of anything past 90 feet, could not keep 20 rounds ion a sheet of 4x8 at 100 yards. don't miss anything about it but the intimidation factor. it made the irate and incoherent turn polite and rational, ready to wait for the authorities

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom