• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Slide Fire Solutions, the company that invented and manufactures bump stocks, announced Tuesday it is shutting down production.

A notice on its website reads, "On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at midnight CST, Slide Fire will cease taking orders for its products and shut down its website."

The devices, and Slide Fire products specifically, have come under intense public and political scrutiny since the rapid-fire gun accessory was used in the Oct. 1, 2017, Las Vegas mass shooting that left 58 dead and hundreds more injured.

Three of those victims have filed a lawsuit seeking class-action status against Slide Fire and any future bump stock manufacturers for negligence. According to the complaint, "this horrific assault would not and could not have occurred, with a conventional handgun, rifle, or shotgun, of the sort used by law-abiding responsible gun owners for hunting or self defense."

Court documents also allege that Slide Fire manufactured, marketed and sold devices to gun owners who wanted semi-automatic rifles to mimic fully automatic weapons, "thereby subverting federal law that has highly regulated machine guns for over 80 years."

"Slide Fire's decision is just something they're doing now to try to relieve political pressure they're under," Robert Eglet told NPR.

Eglet is a senior partner at Eglet Prince, the firm that filed the class-action lawsuit on behalf of the Las Vegas victims along with the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence. He contends the shutdown is a strategic move by the company to "put the brakes on any congressional movement that would prevent them or anyone else from producing these bump stocks in the future."

This is not the first time Slide Fire is halting production. As NPR reported, it suspended sales shortly after the devices were used in the Las Vegas shooting in October. But less than a month later, days after another mass shooting in Texas, Slide Fire restarted production on the controversial accessories.

Regardless of what the company does or doesn't do, Eglet said, he and his clients are continuing to pursue this case.

"We want to sue these people out of business and send a message to any future manufacturers that that's what will happen to them if they try to make and sell these devices to the public," Eglet said.

The devices have been legal since June 2010, after the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives determined a bump stock "is a firearm part and is not regulated as a firearm under [the] Gun Control Act or the National Firearms Act," according to a letter from the ATF to Slide Fire.

http://delawarepublic.org/post/bump-stock-manufacturer-shutting-down-production

Lawyers, can't live with them, can't live without them.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I just saw this info on the slidefire site. First time seeing the article though. I am very curious to see how this shit storm plays out. Not necessarily this lawsuit but the entire banning of this particular accessory. Maryland has it's half-assed bill written and in the pipeline. We also have the overriding proposed ruling from ATF threatening that any owner of a bumpfire stock shall be pounded into the ground with a sledge hammer. WTF?

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO

Sketchy to say the least. I don't recall any compensation for the folks who owned an Akins Accelerator? Correct me if I am wrong. I have a hard time seeing the Gov'ment reimbursing everyone that bought a bumpfire stock. I hate to be gloom and doom but this shit does not look good on the surface. Wait until the lawsuits starts to pop up against the people that get busted for owning them after a proposed ban takes place. I want to see how the counter suits pan out. Everything about this proposed ban is just wrong. Power to the people!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

This will end up being challenged and a lower court will rule that the ban is A-OK. Then the chickenshit SCOTUS will uphold the lower court by deciding they are too cool for school and won't rule on it.

So, that won't help.

This opens up the door for all kinds of bans just by changing some language in a previous act/bill/ban/whatever.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This will end up being challenged and a lower court will rule that the ban is A-OK. Then the chickenshit SCOTUS will uphold the lower court by deciding they are too cool for school and won't rule on it.

So, that won't help.

This opens up the door for all kinds of bans just by changing some language in a previous act/bill/ban/whatever.

High Capacity Clipazines.

Pistol And Forward Grips.

Pointy Thing Attachment Points.

Shoulder Thingies That Pop Up.

Ocular Devices That Make Everything A Sniper's Rifle.

Muzzle Gas Expulsion Tamers.

srephwed

Jul 25, 2010
    harford county
    High Capacity Clipazines.

Pistol And Forward Grips.

Pointy Thing Attachment Points.

Shoulder Thingies That Pop Up.

Ocular Devices That Make Everything A Sniper's Rifle.

Muzzle Gas Expulsion Tamers.
    Don't forget the armor piercing hollow point thingamagigs. No one is safe till they are outlawed. Wait a minute. No law abiding citizen would do this. never mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom