• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Yes, we really have no idea what the OP is looking for, or what his experience level is, or anything else.

I just thought it was important to address the actual needs of the actual Original Poster, on the off chance that he really is looking for a one and only entry level rifle.

And I for one agree 100%+ with your input.
    :thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OP was ambiguous- " entry level rifle " could equally be in the context of "entry level" = cheap, not very good , and the buy will dump it in 30sec after realizing their error.

But Threeband is correct in his Context .

So my statement is - If your decision is to own a semiauto PCC , the Hi Point will do anything a semiauto PCC would be expected to do , while being cheap, ugly, and reliable, ( with much better OEM sights than the vastly more expensive CX4 ) .

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    The OP. (Me)

What I meant by entry level rifle was:
    1. Decently constructed (as opposed to "cheaply made")
    2. Inexpensive, less than $500 (as opposed to "cheap")
    3. Accurate
    4. Easy to maintain
    5. Fun for the average gun person to shoot

And I do have some shooting experience, and I have taken a hunter safety course. (A number of years ago..)
    My first rifle was a Marlin 30.30 lever action with a peep sight.
    I do not have any experience with any type of semi-auto. I do have an AR build in the works with a stripped lower from Hanover Armory and some minor parts from Brumwell's Flea Market. But that is a different story. It does look like from the feedback that Hi-Point rifles are a good, low cost rifle. Some people don't like the look of them, but then Mosin-Nagants are not "pretty" rifles either. But they sure did their job.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Ed Zachary

3. Accurate
    4. Easy to maintain

And I do have some shooting experience, and I have taken a hunter safety course. (A number of years ago..)
    I do not have any experience with any type of semi-auto. I do have an AR build in the works with a stripped lower from Hanover Armory and some minor parts from Brumwell's Flea Market. But that is a different story. It does look like from the feedback that Hi-Point rifles are a good, low cost rifle. Some people don't like the look of them, but then Mosin-Nagants are not "pretty" rifles either. But they sure did their job.

Bingo.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    3. Accurate
    4. Easy to maintain

Thanks for adding a little more detail and insight "OP". :thumbsup:

If I haven't said it before, welcome back to the forum noddaz (even if it only took you four years to begin asking questions... :innocent0). You'll find a many varied opinions from many very experienced forum members here.

Good luck on your AR build. It's a great semi-auto rifle platform. You will learn a lot building one of your own.

Don't discount Hi Point Carbines. They are well-constructed blow-back action firearms chambered in pistol calibers made in the USA. And they are much different than AR's. Hi Point has a Lifetime Warranty and they stand by it. They are good carbines - for what they are.

"Fugly Guns" are in the eye of the beholder. For example, Lee Enfields are great shooting rifles, but they ain't pretty by many folk's standards.

Oh, if you wonder why we refer to Hi Point Carbines as "Monkey Guns" here... That's because they closely resemble "Planet of the Apes" guns we've grown to know and love...

;)
    :D

Attachments

• Planet of the Apes Gun Pic Capture.jpg
      Planet of the Apes Gun Pic Capture.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 130

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    With more detail, it sounds to me like the OP would be well served by a Monkey Gun.

(I'm glad to hear it won't be his only gun, though. )

Now another question: except as a "companion" to a .380 pistol, why would anyone want a .380 carbine? That .380 ammo is pricey stuff! Way more expensive than 9mm Luger/Parabellum, and much less powerfull.

Mr H

Banana'd
    With more detail, it sounds to me like the OP would be well served by a Monkey Gun.

Now another question: except as a "companion" to a .380 pistol, why would anyone want a .380 carbine? That .380 ammo is pricey stuff! Way more expensive than 9mm Luger/Parabellum, and much less powerfull.

I look at the PCC 'solution' (regardless of caliber) partially as a matter of SHTF grab-n-go.

If you want a handgun and a 'rifle' if you're heading out, why not have them in the same caliber?

As for .380, I agree about the ammo cost, which is why I don't have a Monkey Gun in that flavor. I also agree that 9mm is the better choice (and more likely to scrounge). But, I'm still looking at a .380 as a plinking option for the Missus.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

The only reason I don’t own a 380 monkey gun is because I don’t want to stock another caliber. That said, the Hi Point 380 is the nicest shooting of all of their carbines. It makes a great range toy since it has minimal recoil and is very accurate

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

A .380 monkey gun is also a nice companion to the other pistol caliber carbines in the series. When one has 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP it's a natural next step. I picked one up a few years ago when they came out and it's a fun little plinker.

Actually, reloading .380's makes them pretty cheap. I have gobs of free range cases on hand. So for about a dime or less I can load plenty of plinking ammo: Primer = 4 cents; Plated Bullet = 7 cents (or almost free if I use CB's cast from wheel weights); and a penny's worth of Unique.
    Heck, shooting .380 is about as cheap as .22LR these days. And a lot more fun... ;)

The only reason I don’t own a 380 monkey gun is because I don’t want to stock another caliber. That said, the Hi Point 380 is the nicest shooting of all of their carbines. It makes a great range toy since it has minimal recoil and is very accurate

But, but... You have a 10mm monkey gun and I don't...(yet)... :tantrum:

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    So now I know where monkey gun comes from

Monkey gun from PotA. Would have never thought of that. But I do see the resemblance. Who knows, maybe that is when the idea for the initial design came from.
    And this.
    (even if it only took you four years to begin asking questions... )
    I didn't know anyone was keeping track. Was it NSA? FBI? CIA? Black Ops? :lol2: I think I hear helicopters.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    A .380 monkey gun is also a nice companion to the other pistol caliber carbines in the series. When one has 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP it's a natural next step. I picked one up a few years ago when they came out and it's a fun little plinker.

Actually, reloading .380's makes them pretty cheap. I have gobs of free range cases on hand. So for about a dime or less I can load plenty of plinking ammo: Primer = 4 cents; Plated Bullet = 7 cents (or almost free if I use CB's cast from wheel weights); and a penny's worth of Unique.
    Heck, shooting .380 is about as cheap as .22LR these days. And a lot more fun... ;)

But, but... You have a 10mm monkey gun and I don't...(yet)... :tantrum:

I have a Colt Delta elite in 10mm to go with my 10mm monkey gun. Quite the difference in qaulity :lol2:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Monkey gun from PotA. Would have never thought of that. But I do see the resemblance. Who knows, maybe that is when the idea for the initial design came from.
    And this.
    I didn't know anyone was keeping track. Was it NSA? FBI? CIA? Black Ops? :lol2: I think I hear helicopters.

There you go. A mountain of learning awaits you on this forum. ;)
    Join in and take it one step at a time...
    :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom