• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Got this guy on my trail cam Friday walking through my food plot at lunch time. If I see him in my sights he is getting culled.

He looks healthy to me, despite his missing leg. No ribs showing and his tarsal gland is getting black/stinky...

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Don't know about that one but there was a doe with a right hind leg broken above the ankle near me it healed sticking out at 90 degrees to the leg. She did alright would periodically see her around for three years, she successfully raised a fawn each year. Last I saw her was rutting season last year when she crossed the road in front of me heading north toward PA with a buck in hot pursuit.

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    Saw Him again. A little skinnier?
    PICT0314.jpg

PICT0317.jpg

Stagstalker

Jan 15, 2017
    The cesspool of MD
    Hard to tell if he's any thinner than the first daylight pic. Studies claim some survive the fly disease and when they do they become more immune to it, as will their offspring. Alot of areas were hit hard this year.

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    From zooming in I think I can see his ligament in the front hoof (on a different pic) and he is walking on bone in the rear! Not sure if the rez on the posted pics can show that?

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Blue tonuge kills in hours or the animal recovers. It's not a long drawn out wasting disease.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    From zooming in I think I can see his ligament in the front hoof (on a different pic) and he is walking on bone in the rear! Not sure if the rez on the posted pics can show that?

Can you set your camera up for video? You could probably tell better if there are broken bones, etc. My first thought from your OP pics was post blue tongue or injuries sustained from a vehicle collision. Pretty sure those BTV-carrying midges die off after the first frost - but they're still around into October. Foot/round worms also seemed like a possibility until you mentioned suspicion of broken ankle(s) ... hell, I don't know, just trying to help.

Definitely send pics to DNR.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I've had this camera in this spot for over six years and this is the first time I've seen this guy. Clearly his leg is broken but if I see him in person, I'm taking him down.

Attachments

• PRMS0002.JPG
      PRMS0002.JPG
      131.7 KB · Views: 105
    • PRMS0003.JPG
      PRMS0003.JPG
      132.3 KB · Views: 106
    • PRMS0004.JPG
      PRMS0004.JPG
      133 KB · Views: 103
    • PRMS0005.JPG
      PRMS0005.JPG
      134.3 KB · Views: 106
    • PRMS0006.JPG
      PRMS0006.JPG
      132.7 KB · Views: 106

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Do you think his leg was broken sparring with another buck? Is the crooked/WTF rack due to nutrient imbalances or something like that related to the broken leg? He almost looks like an antelope with that goofy headgear.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I've had this camera in this spot for over six years and this is the first time I've seen this guy. Clearly his leg is broken but if I see him in person, I'm taking him down.

Do you think his leg was broken sparring with another buck? Is the crooked/WTF rack due to nutrient imbalances or something like that related to the broken leg? He almost looks like an antelope with that goofy headgear.

be a cool rack/trophy :) could have been a vehicle hit him and it survived. Doesnt look too bad off, not like the OP deer pics...

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I was thinking maybe he was hit by a car too. With the rack that size it almost makes me wonder if it didn't even happen this year. I wish I would have had my video function enabled on the camera to see how he was walking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom