Are manufacturers missing out on a home defense revolver market?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I am so inaccurate with revolvers that I haven't even thought of purchasing one.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Quite timely for me, just went to the range with my wife so she could try a few pistols including a 642 snub nose. She really liked the snubnose, until she shot it. Even then she tried really hard to enjoy and like it, but just finally gave in. She couldn't get into the trigger pull, which on this one is about 40 lbs and 4 feet lol. Comfortable in her hand but not when shooting, and she only shoot two +P rounds and said that's enough.

I supported her wanting a revolver for many of the reasons stated already, but she ended up liking the M&P full size more, and shot better with it. We are still "shopping" for her, maybe another revolver will strike her fancy, of course she doesn't like my 686 either.........

TD

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I only own smith snub noses because of the trigger. I think it's the best on the market. My wife uses it and has put hundreds of rounds of .38 special. I load them full power 158gr wadcutters at 860 fps. She is dead on with it. We shot bowling pins together and the area to hit it to knock it off the table with a snub is pretty small. We used to have snub matches in Wisconsin. She recently graduated to a Kimber Solo Compact and she loves it. To me it kicks harder than any 9mm I ever shot. But then again she likes my .308 bolt action.

Practice makes perfect.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I only own smith snub noses because of the trigger. I think it's the best on the market. My wife uses it and has put hundreds of rounds of .38 special. I load them full power 158gr wadcutters at 860 fps. She is dead on with it. We shot bowling pins together and the area to hit it to knock it off the table with a snub is pretty small. We used to have snub matches in Wisconsin. She recently graduated to a Kimber Solo Compact and she loves it. To me it kicks harder than any 9mm I ever shot. But then again she likes my .308 bolt action.

Practice makes perfect.

If your wife shoots well with a Desert Eagle, stock up on 50 AE and give her a hand cannon. Whatever works.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    But I bet all 6 shots went through the same hole in the air. :D

Lol id be lucky if that even happened. I want to train with one though because I do like the fact that it's uber reliable and a 357 hollow is probably the best self defense round around for a night stand gun.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Lol id be lucky if that even happened. I want to train with one though because I do like the fact that it's uber reliable and a 357 hollow is probably the best self defense round around for a night stand gun.
    I'll take a .357 revolver and a bad guy coming through that delicious fatal funnel of a bedroom door any day. I'm good with those odds.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Quite timely for me, just went to the range with my wife so she could try a few pistols including a 642 snub nose. She really liked the snubnose, until she shot it. Even then she tried really hard to enjoy and like it, but just finally gave in. She couldn't get into the trigger pull, which on this one is about 40 lbs and 4 feet lol. Comfortable in her hand but not when shooting, and she only shoot two +P rounds and said that's enough.

I supported her wanting a revolver for many of the reasons stated already, but she ended up liking the M&P full size more, and shot better with it. We are still "shopping" for her, maybe another revolver will strike her fancy, of course she doesn't like my 686 either.........

TD

Number one mistake made by or with new or inexperienced shooters. Small guns are experienced shooter guns not for novices. You did good letting her stop when she had enough of the 642 so fast. Glad she stuck with shooting others and found a handgun she liked to shoot. Soon she may be saying she wants to get a Wilson Combat x9!

My son is bigger than I am, not as active a shooter as I am but was almost as much at one time. Other distractions now. Big kid, 22 years old, lifts weights, played fiotball, likes the AR-15 and 308 and 30-06 chambered rifles. Built his first 45 1911. But doesn't like to shoot 230 ball ammo. Prefers 22LR, 200 grain midrange loads and my 9mm. Recoil definitely needs to be "worked into". One day he may decide to shoot those 12 rounds of 44 Magnum he loaded with me at the age of 5.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Revolvers suck. They've been outclassed since the 1911 hit the market.
    Now are there people that may want a revolver for HD? Sure but they're for the vast majority uneducated and undertrained.

Take my mother for example. She can't work the slide effectively on a Glock but can shoot it effectively. Solution? She has my 9mm Glock with a 33 round mag (she purchased in PA) filled with Federal HST's. Why? Because the Glock is more reliable and recoils less than her 4" Model 13-2 and has a Streamlight TLR-1 HL with a remote contour switch. She's confident and that's all that matters.

Mopar, that's actually a really good point.

I am considering the same scenario to help my mother, but I wonder if limp wristing could become an issue.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

I am considering the same scenario to help my mother, but I wonder if limp wristing could become an issue.
    I've never known any of the more fragile, smaller women I've worked with having slide racking or limp wristing issues with their issued P229. But why introduce something that could be a problem? Especially under stress?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

Serious question here.

Why would it be a good idea to give a semi-automatic handgun as a self defense weapon to someone who has trouble manipulating the slide?

I'm not getting it. If my mother was not able to operate the slide on a semi-automatic handgun, I'm figuring the last thing I am going to give her is a handgun that, in the case of a malfunction, needs to have the slide operated.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Serious question here.

Why would it be a good idea to give a semi-automatic handgun as a self defense weapon to someone who has trouble manipulating the slide?

I'm not getting it. If my mother was not able to operate the slide on a semi-automatic handgun, I'm figuring the last thing I am going to give her is a handgun that, in the case of a malfunction, needs to have the slide operated.
    Get her a Glock and you won't have to worry about malfunctions.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Serious question here.

You are underestimating the magical powers of a 33 round mag.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I guess I'm just too under educated and under trained.
    My post was sarcasm, even though I am a Glock guy. I think a hammerless revolver makes perfect sense for a woman or arthritic person especially in light of blasters post on the subject earlier in the thread. I am also pretty sure his 33 round magic stick post was sarcasm as well.

I am sure your education and training are excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom