• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I'm looking into getting an ATV and I think I've settled on the Honda rancher 420. It'll mainly be just a toy with slight utility use around the house and farm. I don't envision any heavy trail riding. Does anyone have one that could offer their opinion?

I'm looking to buy used and keep it under $3k but craigslist seems full of scams and the people on the Facebook marketplace want new prices for a 10 year old bike. Does anyone know of a used rancher in the Baltimore area? I really love the dark blue color offered on some models but I realize I likely won't get to pick color too much in the used market.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    It's a toss up between Yamaha and Honda for me. I picked up an 04 Kodiak 450 6-7 years ago for like $3,100. Belt drive Hi/Low, has been a great machine at the family farm and mountains in WV.

I've ridden old 1990s Fourtrax 4x4 300s, and a brand new Foreman 500. Have never been on the big CC machines

I would have loved to gotten an old Fourtrax or Foreman but didn't come across any that were priced decent enough in good enough shape.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    I bought a new one for my daughter a few years back for up in central pa. Had it for a few years till she got her drivers license and lost interest in going to camp. They are a great machine, I used it for hauling a 5x10 trailer full of brush numerous times. Deep snow was not an issue. Neither was trail riding. The fuel injection was a nice feature.. I ended up selling it and buying a side by side.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    It's a toss up between Yamaha and Honda for me. I picked up an 04 Kodiak 450 6-7 years ago for like $3,100. Belt drive Hi/Low, has been a great machine at the family farm and mountains in WV.

I've ridden old 1990s Fourtrax 4x4 300s, and a brand new Foreman 500. Have never been on the big CC machines

I would have loved to gotten an old Fourtrax or Foreman but didn't come across any that were priced decent enough in good enough shape.

I’ve been keeping my eye out for used Yamahas too. I think I’d be happy with a Yamaha or Honda but I have more experience with older Honda quads. I also don’t really need a 700 CC quad yet and I’m not looking for anything huge.

Have you had any carburetor issues with your Kodiak? I like the idea of the newer fuel injected models.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    The guy I got my Kodiak from used it on huge farm fields, the carb did have some issues. Probably needed cleaned, had to run warmed up with the choke on.

I just bought an OEM replacement and it's been fine ever since, low hours for age... 360ish hours now. I could probably mess around with adjusting it a hair better cold but once it gets slightly warmed up it's like a fuel injection bike.

I'd probably shoot for a fuel injection now but for the right price/shape I'd buy what I got again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom