• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    Anyone else in MD running a vertical foregrip on a 26" long "firearm", not pistol or rifle. I have been really thinking of putting a short bcm vertical grip on my firearm. Would like some opinions, I know this has probably been talked about enough.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Anyone else in MD running a vertical foregrip on a 26" long "firearm", not pistol or rifle. I have been really thinking of putting a short bcm vertical grip on my firearm. Would like some opinions, I know this has probably been talked about enough.

I put them on my SBRs(I know, different gun), but I use them as hand stops. The BCMs are perfect for that.

Attachments

• 300aac.jpg
      300aac.jpg
      76 KB · Views: 1,090

jmik07

Apr 15, 2019
    Brunswick
    I have a knockoff KAC vertical grip on one of my "firearms" and I prefer it over the AFG I had on it prior. I find myself using it more like a hand stop like outrider58 mentioned, but it's comfortable and solid

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I really just want to know the legality of using a vfg on a firearm of at least 26" measured from extended brace to end off muzzle threads. I cant find alot of info on this and the info that I do find is so back and forth on the subject.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I think the measurement is supposed to be taken from the end of the barrel threads to the end of the buffer tube. The brace is not permanent and therefore is not included.

I do have one 16" carbine with a vertical foregrip. It is all a matter of personal taste but I find it easier on my left wrist due to an old injury.

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    I think the measurement is supposed to be taken from the end of the barrel threads to the end of the buffer tube. The brace is not permanent and therefore is not included.

I do have one 16" carbine with a vertical foregrip. It is all a matter of personal taste but I find it easier on my left wrist due to an old injury.

I have seen where people say to measure with brace extended to its furthest point and I have seen people say to the end of the buffer tube. I personally think to the end of the buffer tube would be the safest bet, but I would rather it be with the sba3 extended.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Be careful. ATF up here put a dealer out of business and went door to door collecting guns as unregistered AOWs. They claim that OAL is measure with a stock in its most extended position (unfolded and adjusted out on a tube), but that a pistol with brace is measured with the brace in its most collapsed position (folded and adjusted to the shortest position). If you are talking about a non-folding brace on an AR-type tube, safest bet would probably be to the end of the tube.

It makes no sense.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Be careful. ATF up here put a dealer out of business and went door to door collecting guns as unregistered AOWs. They claim that OAL is measure with a stock in its most extended position (unfolded and adjusted out on a tube), but that a pistol with brace is measured with the brace in its most collapsed position (folded and adjusted to the shortest position). If you are talking about a non-folding brace on an AR-type tube, safest bet would probably be to the end of the tube.

It makes no sense.

Was wondering about that. Thanks Nate

eARl

Mar 25, 2014

It makes no sense.

Is there anything official stating that a pistol is measured from end of buffer tube to end of barrel threads. I cant seem to find a definitive answer to this question. I will not be using a folding adapter.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Is there anything official stating that a pistol is measured from end of buffer tube to end of barrel threads. I cant seem to find a definitive answer to this question. I will not be using a folding adapter.

There are general letters regarding measuring OAL and what ATF considers the "extreme ends of the weapon." I am not sure if there is a definitive answer that would tell you what you're looking for.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you're going to shoulder your braced pistol, you're gonna be using your VFG like it would be on a rifle.

When I first started running rifles a decade ago, I used VFGs, like the KAC and the Grip-Pod. I discovered I hated them. Too much weight and it made the rifle annoying to transport.

I went without them for a while. It was OK. Then I got serious, and put lights on my rifles. I discovered that in many cases, I did not have enough handguard left to grip the rifle effectively.

Now I'm back to VFGs, but I'm way pickier. On very short handguards, yeah, I'll get a tall VFG like the KAC and beer can it if I have to . On "normal-sized" handguards (7-9"), I'll get stubbies (Magpul, BCM) and run them C-clamp style. One of these days I'll try out the Magpul AFG, but I am skeptical it's going to solve my specific problems.

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    If you're going to shoulder your braced pistol, you're gonna be using your VFG like it would be on a rifle.

The way I understand it, if the "firearm" is over 26" it is no longer considered a pistol. It is not a "rifle", "pistol" or "any other weapon". It is considered a firearm.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The way I understand it, if the "firearm" is over 26" it is no longer considered a pistol. It is not a "rifle", "pistol" or "any other weapon". It is considered a firearm.

Federally, it is a pistol until you install the VFG (making the firearm no longer "designed and intended to be fired by the use of a single hand"). In MD, it is a handgun if it has a barrel less than 16" in length in most situations (there are different "handgun" definitions in MD depending on what section you are looking at).

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I really just want to know the legality of using a vfg on a firearm of at least 26" measured from extended brace to end off muzzle threads. I cant find alot of info on this and the info that I do find is so back and forth on the subject.

so wait, your first question was "are people doing it" then your next question is about legality? lol let me summarize: "So is anyone else in MD doing something borderline illegal. "? I bet there are a lot of people doing illegal stuff, but they dont post here...

my advice is if you dont know the legality of what you are doing, dont do it until you are sure. Second, the legal advice you get on the internet is worth what you paid for it. However, that said, I would 150% listen to NateIU10 (works for Ruger, lawyer, and formerly from the MD gulag).

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    4.4 Overall Length Measurements
    4.4.1 When measuring the overall length of a firearm, the measurement shall be taken along a
    line which is parallel to the axis of the bore from a perpendicular tangential line which touches the
    rearmost point of the firearm to a perpendicular tangential line that touches the furthest point of
    the muzzle.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    4.4 Overall Length Measurements
    4.4.1 When measuring the overall length of a firearm, the measurement shall be taken along a
    line which is parallel to the axis of the bore from a perpendicular tangential line which touches the
    rearmost point of the firearm to a perpendicular tangential line that touches the furthest point of
    the muzzle.

Most of us already know how to measure the OAL of a firearm.

Form 1 your pistol into an SBR if you are so hung up on a VFG. $200 is a hell of a lot cheaper then court trials, lawyers, and prison.

Free advice...

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    Most of us already know how to measure the OAL of a firearm.

Form 1 your pistol into an SBR if you are so hung up on a VFG. $200 is a hell of a lot cheaper then court trials, lawyers, and prison.

Free advice...

Thanks, for the free advice! I have been debating whether to sbr this firearm, but there are some advantages to running a pistol that I dont want to lose. Therefore I would like to run a vertical foregrip on my firearm.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks, for the free advice! I have been debating whether to sbr this firearm, but there are some advantages to running a pistol that I dont want to lose. Therefore I would like to run a vertical foregrip on my firearm.
    What can you do with an AR pistol that you can't with an SBR?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    What can you do with an AR pistol that you can't with an SBR?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For one you can save $200 and use that for ammo, second you can travel state to state without the hassle of getting permission from the atf. I came here looking for answers that apparently no one knows the clear cut answer to, which is shocking because some of you act like you know everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom