Ever do something to make you feel like the dumbest person on earth?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    So way back in 2008, I bought a Springfield M1a and it's been an ongoing project ever since. When i originally got it, I also got a scope mount and a high end scope for it. I never quite liked how the scope mount sat on the rifle and always felt like it didnt hold zero very well. I pulled the scope off and pretty much shot it iron sights for years. 2-3 years ago I finally put a troy battle rail on the rifle and remounted the scope.

I bore sighted the rifle, tool it out to the back yard range, fired off the first round, made some adjustments, squeezed again and ....click. Rifle didnt eject the first round. So back to the bench it went, broke it all down again, made sure it all lined up. Polished the chamber as some rounds (especially some of the 7.62 NATO rounds) seemed to stick in the chamber, requiring a rubber mallet to extract. That seemed to clear that issue up. Months later I finally got time to fiddle with it again. Took it outside, fired one off. Still didnt cycle.

Pulled it all back apart. Made sure it was all dry and clean. Put it in the safe until I could get to it again. Pulled it out a few times over the last two years. Always the same issue. Pulled it apart when I could. Never found an issue.

So yesterday, with my kid at his grandparents, I finally got time again. Took it out, same issue. So I'm sitting in my living room with the rifle completely disassembled on a towel on the living room floor and realize that at some point I had turned the screw that shut off the gas valve. Reassembled, took it outside, cycles as it should...two years I've been screwing with this thing in my little free time to find out that I'm a complete idiot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Ha, was at an AK build party years ago. Dude went to test fire and it wouldn't cycle, he swore he drilled drilled gas port. Nope he hadn't

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    You'd be shocked how many people do the same thing with Yugo SKSs. Not me, mind you (yet), but lots of people.

Regrettably, I did once. At a Woman On Target afternoon range session long ago. Boy did I feel like quite THE IDIOT after I FINALLY realized why the SKS I lent to the young lady was only shooting single shot :rolleyes:

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Installing the hammer spring backwards or forgetting to put the cotter pin back in the BCG makes for a fun day at the range!

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I installed a fan in my living room. Shocked myself despite flipping the breaker. Then the fan wouldn't turn on.... until I realized that the switch on the wall was wired backwards. Then once it came on, I blew 3 bulbs in a row until I figured out it wasn't an electrical issue, it was just me putting my greasy fingers on the bulbs and screwing them up. Kind of a humbling experience.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I will happily buy any MK II's you guys don't want. You know you want a MK IV anyway.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    So I'm sitting in my living room with the rifle completely disassembled on a towel on the living room floor and realize that at some point I had turned the screw that shut off the gas valve.
    Reassembled, took it outside, cycles as it should...two years I've been screwing with this thing in my little free time to find out that I'm a complete idiot.

It happens.

Took my beloved M1A to the farm to shoot it a bit.
    Rifle was shooting fantastic groups, they were just 6" high and right.

"What in the H E double hockey sticks is going on??"

Checked to make sure it was the correct ammo.
    Checked to see if the scope/mount/rings were tight.
    Checked scope settings.
    Everything was correct.

Still shooting high and right.

Started to pack everything up to go home.

Looked at the rifle again........ some DUMB@$$ (me!) didn't lock the trigger group!!!!!

(I NEVER put this rifle away, with tension on the trigger group/bedded stock!)

Checked rifle over again, locked trigger group, fired some great groups, right where it was sighted in.

Now, there's a 'tag' on a string, looped around the triggerguard, stating, "LOCK THIS, STOOPID!"

Getting older SUX!!!!!! :)

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Why, it just so happens that this past Saturday I tackled a feed ramp issue with my Rohrbaugh R9s by getting out the Dremel and polishing the feed ramp. It took less time to polish the ramp than it took to get everything ready.

After polishing the ramp, and while I still had the Dremel in my hand, I thought about polishing the chamber but hey, everything else on the gun was working well, so I put the Dremel away.

The very next day, the very first time the gun cycled, the next round nosed into the top of the chamber and stopped right there. It never had that type of failure before. DOH!

Took the darn thing home, dug out the Dremel, and polished the chamber.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I have a scar on the back of my right thumb that reminds me daily that my hands are not vice grips......

.....was attempting to hold a 4" × 4" electrical box cover against a stair railing while my partner drilled a hole in it. Drill bit locked up an spun cover.......

We didn't have a vice at the time at that location despite multiple requests. When we got back from ER we had two vices and a B&D Workmate in our shop. Gotta luv .gov!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    National match m1a have the gas tacked so you can't shut off the gas, or at least that was a common modification.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OP, the M1A's gas system sucks to maintain, and you should not feel too horrible that you screwed it up.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I really only felt stupid because I had wasted so much time with it and had the thing apart about a dozen times. I guess the positive is that it only takes me about 3 minutes to break it down now...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    took a ruger mark ll once, major mistake
    My Dad was a part-time gunsmith in my small hometown, and I once helped him to reassemble a Mark II that a former Marine decided to "field strip" and clean by punching the pins out. Dad had really thick, beefy hands, and was having a hard time with some of the smaller parts. I was a kid, and my hands are like my mom's - pretty much the opposite of his - so I was able to help him get it back together. In any case, I understand completely. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom