• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So i've decided to finally upgrade my spotting scope (a Simmons which is fine for 100 yards) to something much better. Looking for something for reading wind for up to 1000 yd targets. Ideally would like to keep it under $1,000. I do like Vortex optics, how much of a difference is there between the Viper HD and Razor HD?
    Doesn't neccisarily have to be Vortex. I've heard good things about Pentax and Bushnell Elite also. (A little wary of the Bushnell Elite)
    Also should I opt for higher magnification (20-60) or better glass with 15-45 magnification? (If I have to choose between the two)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I use a Pentax PF-100ED which is not made anymore (about $2200 new). Highly recommended by 2 of the benchrest forums, as were Zeiss and Nikon at the time. Generally 77mm-85mm class is what you want. When it comes to resolution at distance the bigger the objective the better. Fluorite glass is at the top but won't be in your budget. So a good name ED glass scope is the minimum if you want to try to see something up to 1000 yards. I used to work for a dealer that sold Pentax and Zeiss and a few cheaper brands. Nothing in the cheaper brands came close to Pentax and Zeiss. I like Pentax because it uses standard telescope eyepieces and I have lots of those (many Pentax ones, too). It turns out from the BR forums testing that fixed power eyepieces are better and clearer than zooms from the same company. While my Pentax's Zoom give 26-78x, 2 higher power fixed ones give 86x and 116x.

The power will depend on how far you need to see. I personally would not go below 20-60x.
    Also for shooting you should only consider a straight thru scope not any of the 45 degree angle ones, which are mainly for bird-watching.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I use a Pentax PF-100ED which is not made anymore (about $2200 new). Highly recommended by 2 of the benchrest forums, as were Zeiss and Nikon at the time. Generally 77mm-85mm class is what you want. When it comes to resolution at distance the bigger the objective the better. Fluorite glass is at the top but won't be in your budget. So a good name ED glass scope is the minimum if you want to try to see something up to 1000 yards. I used to work for a dealer that sold Pentax and Zeiss and a few cheaper brands. Nothing in the cheaper brands came close to Pentax and Zeiss. I like Pentax because it uses standard telescope eyepieces and I have lots of those (many Pentax ones, too). It turns out from the BR forums testing that fixed power eyepieces are better and clearer than zooms from the same company. While my Pentax's Zoom give 26-78x, 2 higher power fixed ones give 86x and 116x.

The power will depend on how far you need to see. I personally would not go below 20-60x.
    Also for shooting you should only consider a straight thru scope not any of the 45 degree angle ones, which are mainly for bird-watching.
    They still make the PF-100ED, I just looked at Pentax scopes.
    I can get a PF-80ED and an eyepiece for about $1,100.
    Without getting more than one eyepiece, is there a significant drawback to getting a fixed power? Only thing I can think of is if I want to use it at shorter distances, 200-300 yards.
    Would still love to hear if anyone has been able to compare the Vortex Viper HD and the Razor HD.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The Burris Signature HD is a little over your target budget but worth looking at.

I got mine from Optics Agent. http://www.opticsagent.com/BUR-SPO...mTO9gl2gsm-bJ0kbt2ngASrifI0mO2DBoCrj8QAvD_BwE

Here is an image I snapped from behind my house 4006yds (2.25mi) away.

ee633f00e5f7b5fa7f64b671af9a5eba.jpg

Here is a link to my post. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=231045

If you want to meet up at AGC to check it out let me know.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have used a Razor HD next to a Viper HD, both gen 1 scopes. The Razor is nicer. Back in those days, the Razor was more than twice as much, and I would not have paid that much. But I got my mine, very lightly used, for a good price. Now, with the Gen 2 out, the Gen 1s are at a great price.

As for straight versus angled, the service rifle guys prefer angled, as you can set them up to use them without breaking position. Long range shooters seem to prefer straight, mainly for spotting someone else shooting.

I mainly use the Razor with a fixed eyepiece with a Mil reticle. It makes calling corrections easier.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    You can check out rokslide.com. The western hunting guy’s talk about this subject a lot and you can find some used ones. Also govx website ha a decent deals if you are able to sign up.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Kowa is a good spotting scope. I have had mine for over a decade and it has been flawless. Before that, I had a Unertl (SP) that served me well. Leica makes a good spotting scope too.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    If you want good info on spotting scope, get info from high power rifle competitors. In general, difference between good and better, comes down to eye relief.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    They still make the PF-100ED, I just looked at Pentax scopes.
    I can get a PF-80ED and an eyepiece for about $1,100.
    Without getting more than one eyepiece, is there a significant drawback to getting a fixed power? Only thing I can think of is if I want to use it at shorter distances, 200-300 yards.
    Would still love to hear if anyone has been able to compare the Vortex Viper HD and the Razor HD.

rbird7282, I'm digging up this thread to see if you picked up a Vortex HD spotting scope. I'm looking for one now and would appreciate a review/recommendation.

I think I want a 20-60x85 scope to see 5.56 on paper targets up to 200 yards, and .22 on paper at 25 yards; but I may need longer range in the future, so hopefully this will be a "buy once, cry once" purchase.

Any thoughts on the Vortex Viper HD or Razor HD, or another recommended spotting scope?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    rbird7282, I'm digging up this thread to see if you picked up a Vortex HD spotting scope. I'm looking for one now and would appreciate a review/recommendation.

I think I want a 20-60x85 scope to see 5.56 on paper targets up to 200 yards, and .22 on paper at 25 yards; but I may need longer range in the future, so hopefully this will be a "buy once, cry once" purchase.

Any thoughts on the Vortex Viper HD or Razor HD, or another recommended spotting scope?

I ended up with the Pentax PF-80. Never looked through the Vortex scopes but I have a vortex PST on my long range rifle and love it.
    I think for the money, the Pentax is hard to beat. The other advantage over the Vortex Viper is interchangeable eye pieces. (I think the Razor does too) while these aren’t cheap, it does offer some more flexibility.
    The Pentax is on sale on Amazon now for $699, plus you’d need an eyepiece which would be about another $290.
    You can see .223 holes at 300 yards without an issue.
    I use mine for long range 500-1200 yards.
    The only thing I might do differently is get a straight one instead of angled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO

Now I am digging this thread up to see what you got, DontTreadOnMe. I too would like to get the Vortex 27-60x85 HD Razor. I am looking for something for spotting out to 1000 yards for target shooting. I also would also like it for spotting 5.56 on paper as close as 100 yards if at all possible. Long range is my main objective. I am looking to keep the price under 2k. I am also looking for a good, sturdy tripod recommendation (not part of the 2k. I am seeing the vortex razor for 1570.00. That's a good chunk off of msrp. Suggestions anyone? :patriot:

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    I got a used Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 and a used Manfrotto 322rc2 ball head. The 322rc2 grip is quick but moves a bit when I lock up. I picked up a used adjustable head, but haven't been able to play with it yet.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Generally if you check the sites that have done 1000 yard shooting tests (not ones looking at birds) you will find Zeiss, Swarovski, and Pentax at the top most of the time. But if you check the birder sites you can find some that are not as expensive that can work. Like the Celestron Ultima 80 and 100 and the Regal M2 of theirs also. The real bottom line is it pretty much has to be an 80-85mm scope or larger. Also there are Maksutov telescopes (mirror lenses technically). When I worked for Hands On Optics in Damascus in the 2000's, we had a bunch of 1000 yard shooters come in and get some scopes to try out. And what they all ended up buying was our remaining inventory of Russian LOMO 95mm Maksutov telescopes. So don't chuck a good review on this type of scope as some of the birder 1000 yard tests say they work very well. Ones like the Skywatcher 102mm Mak is rated good on some sites and this one is made by the company in China that makes this one, the Celestron and the Meade one also.
    Me, I have both a LOMO 95 and a Pentax 100ED. Just worked out that way as I got them both used.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Now I am digging this thread up to see what you got, DontTreadOnMe. I too would like to get the Vortex 27-60x85 HD Razor. I am looking for something for spotting out to 1000 yards for target shooting. I also would also like it for spotting 5.56 on paper as close as 100 yards if at all possible. Long range is my main objective. I am looking to keep the price under 2k. I am also looking for a good, sturdy tripod recommendation (not part of the 2k. I am seeing the vortex razor for 1570.00. That's a good chunk off of msrp. Suggestions anyone? :patriot:

Sorry, didn’t see this earlier.

I haven’t picked up anything yet, the cost is just a bit high at the moment. In the meantime I’m thinking of picking up a set of binoculars or something that will allow me to spot until I get a good spotting scope, but once again I don’t know what to buy.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    It depends. The reference to rokslide will push you to very high end scopes, but from what I've read of your needs its for shooting only. The high end scopes will add the dimension of extremely good low light performance - trying to find a cous deer in the last shooting minutes of the day.

I picked up a used (but mint) Nikon ED82 a few months ago for about $600, with a zoom eyepiece. Many will say its performance is as good as any of the highest ed scopes. Its main drawback is short eye relief, which is a pain if you want to look through it with glasses. I wear glasses, but don't when I'm looking through binos or a spotting scope.

I will say that by far, the most resold glass I see on that site (rockslide) is Vortex. Usually only a stepping stone to something better...

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Sorry, didn’t see this earlier.

I haven’t picked up anything yet, the cost is just a bit high at the moment. In the meantime I’m thinking of picking up a set of binoculars or something that will allow me to spot until I get a good spotting scope, but once again I don’t know what to buy.

whatever you do - scope or bino's, mount them on a tripod with a fluid pan head. Night and day performance difference. I use cheap amazon tripods with manfrotto heads and put 201 plates on everything - rifle Vee, bins, scope, cameras, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom